What K9 is the king of companionship?

Amstaffer

I was having a discussion about dogs during lunch today. We were discussing which dog breeds are the best at "X" and which are best at "Y". Towards the end of the conversation someone asked me which dog breed was the best at companionship. I thought long and hard and couldn't answer this, I said the best canine companionship I have ever had is from an Am. Staff. but I have only owned a few different breeds in my life.

What do you guys think is the one breed that is most "in to their humans"?

RD

Are you dead yet?
I've never met more attentive, "tuned in", devoted dogs than border collies. My two are with me constantly. They really are unconditional love. :)

I think the best companion will vary with each person you ask. I wouldn't get much enjoyment out of a very independent dog like a Shiba, and people with Shibas would probably be overwhelmed by my velcro collies.

bubbatd

I'm sure that this will have to broken down to size and activity . Having owned many Goldens .....to me they are canine companions . I'm sure many fill the bill .

elegy

overdogged
depends on what you're looking for in a dog, what your lifestyle is like, what your needs are.

G

GSDluver4lyfe

I feel Ryot (a GSD) is the most "in tune" with me. All I have to do is think something and he does it.

BostonBanker

I think the best companion will vary with each person you ask.
I agree. It is going to vary, because what people consider a "companion" varies. If you want a dog for sheep herding or dog sledding, the expected behaviors are pretty clear, so you can pick a "best" dog pretty easily.

But what I want in a companion (go everywhere, good off-leash, likes to hike, will snuggle on the couch) is a lot different than what, for example, my parents would want (quiet, happy to stay home all day, okay about being left for the work day).

NobleRuby

Good topic! I would imagine most people prefer whatever breed they have :) Supposedly the top 3 companions are Pugs, Poodles, and Spaniels. (According to a google search) Growing up we had a Springer spaniel who was your best friend and eager to please... unless that nose got a scent of water! The other 2 breeds im not too terribly familiar with.

Luvntzus

The "best" companion really does depend on the person. For me, the best companion is the Shih Tzu. I would find a lot of breeds (especially the herding and sporting) to be more of a pest than a pet because of their exercise needs and being a little too emotionally needy. What I love about Shih Tzu is that they usually want to be near you or sitting on your lap, but more in a catlike way. They're quiet, adorable, don't need a lot of exercise, non-shedding, and a small size- so for ME they're the perfect companion. :D

ks02

Interesting question. I think it definitely depends on the needs/lifestyle of the owner. To me, a lab or other sporting dog is the best companion (and yes, I have one :) ). I love that he is willing and able to go out and swim, hike, play fetch, etc. because I am very active as well. I wouldn't do well with a dog that just wanted to sit, although Riley has his times when that's what he does too. Isn't that the great thing about dogs though? So many breeds that can fit into so many different lifestyles.

Toller_08

Dobermans - especially the boys. I've never met a breed so devoted to their owners (I'm not basing this just on our Dobe, but on all male Dobes I've ever met/know). After them I'd have to say most of the herding breeds, but especially Border Collies.

I think almost all dogs and breeds are excellent companions though.

showpug

I don't think any breed is the king of companionship. Companionship means different things to different people and they choose the breed that fits that mold accordingly. The best companion dog I ever had was my Great Dane. Forever loving and willing to lay down his life for me protective.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Papillon... they were bred for it and they are superb at it. You'll never go anywhere alone and if you are in the same room, they're sitting on top of you. ;)

Members online