An outing with my step-dog - Icelandic Sheepdog

Domestika

Hi folks.

I have a dog again (...kind of!) now that I've moved overseas.

My husband has an Icelandic Sheepdog here in Iceland. He doesn't live with us, but we do go and spend time with him.

He's a lovely dog...aside from...*cough* his issues.

Ahh, well. Step-kids are a mixed blessing, right? :D

Enjoy!

BostonBanker

Very neat! We have an Icelandic in our agility club. She's the only one I've met, but is a cool dog. Dare I ask - are they all horrible barkers, or is it just the one I know?

Domestika

Very neat! We have an Icelandic in our agility club. She's the only one I've met, but is a cool dog. Dare I ask - are they all horrible barkers, or is it just the one I know?
Mmm...Rosi is quite the barker. Not any more than any other barky dog, though (if that makes any sense?). He barks when someone comes to the door...and he barks outside. If we're out in the hills somewhere and he sees a car drive by like...half a kilometre away, he'll bark at it.

"Hello! I am here! It's not just you! Me, me! Here I am!"

One of his many quirks. :)

I'll never forget the time we had him out on the farm and were trying to find the horses on the property (huge property). Rosi spotted them before we did (at least a km away) and ran and barked after them. He doesn't come when he's called, so he'd just get bored if they moved too far away.

They'd stop. He'd run and bark. They'd move further away. He'd stop. They'd stop. Repeat. It ended up taking us probably an hour and a half to actually get to the horses after he was finished HERDING them away.

:nono: :rolleyes:

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Rosi is freaking ADORABLE! It looks like he loves his Daddy. :)

Icelandic Sheepdogs are one of my favorite breeds that I've never been able to meet in person. I'm very jealous. They look sooo huggable.

Domestika

Rosi is freaking ADORABLE! It looks like he loves his Daddy. :)

Icelandic Sheepdogs are one of my favorite breeds that I've never been able to meet in person. I'm very jealous. They look sooo huggable.
Ohhhh, yes. He loves his daddy. And the feeling is mutual. They are very attached. :)

Icelandic Sheepdogs don't seem to be very common outside of Iceland. I've never seen one outside of the country. But of course they're quite common here, as well as Icelandic mixes.

He is a very huggable dog. He LOVES his people and just wants to be around them all the time. He's very affectionate. Unless he sees any other animal. Then he goes into kill mode. :( And he will actually kill other animals.

And for anyone wondering why a male dog is named "Rosi"...the word means "very" in Icelandic. As in "very silly", "very barky", "very crazy". It's a fitting name. Anything Rosi is...he is "very". :)

Members online