Amstaffs and other dogs?

Gemmy

Hello everyone! Back again and I think I'm gonna stay on the track of getting an Amstaff pup from a breeder next summer or next fall. I have a Shar Pei right now who does extremely well with all dogs. I've never owned a pit bull breed but I'm aware that some of them can be very dog aggressive. I was wondering what it still be a problem even if the pup was brought up with another dog from a young age? I'd love to hear from bully breed/pit bull owners.

Maxy24

I think it's still a risk with AmStaffs, regardless of whether or not they were raised with another dog, since it's not a fear/socialization issue. However I believe in general AmStaff breeders are less accepting of dog aggression than say APBT breeders (in general), so I think it's somewhat less common, or at least is in certain lines. I think your best bet is to talk to your breeder about dog aggression in her lines and the lines of the stud. Talk to people who own dogs from the breeder about their experience with DA in those dogs. Also most bully breed owners/organizations suggest going with a puppy of the opposite sex of your current dog.

I've never owned a pit bull breed but I'm aware that some of them can be very dog aggressive. I was wondering what it still be a problem even if the pup was brought up with another dog from a young age? I'd love to hear from bully breed/pit bull owners.
All bully breeds have the potential to develop dog aggression, no matter how they are raised. They may do great with other dogs until one day they just don't anymore. The saying goes "Never trust a pit bull not to fight", and I live by that. Even though my apbt gets along amazingly with my other dog, I take plenty of precautionary measures to keep the peace. They are never, ever, ever left alone unsupervised. Not even for five minutes. When no one is home to supervise, one is crated and there is a door between them. It may seem like overkill to someone who's never lived with bully breeds or dog aggressive dogs, but I just consider it precautionary.

Keep in mind that any of the bully breeds can "turn on" at any age. I've heard stories about bully breeds that have coexisted peacefully with other dogs for years and then one day, horrific dog fight.

I don't want to sound like an alarmist. Responsibly bred apbts/amstaffs are absolutely worth all the effort to me. They give sooo much, and are amazing companions. I just like to stress the importance of never being complacent about the fact that dog aggression *is* a breed trait. Crate/rotate is a very real possibility any time you bring one into your home with other pets. Is that something you can live with if necessary? I hope I never have to, but I'm aware that someday I may have to.

(Disclaimer - some lines are "colder" than others, and some are very hot. I would discuss it with the breeder you choose, but know that this also isn't a guarantee that you'll have a dog that gets along with other dogs.)

kady05

I have 2 Amstaffs (males, Sako is neutered, Barrett is intact), and then Piper is a mix of whatever, some Bully breed LOL.

All of my dogs get along great with every dog they meet, always have. Even random strange dogs that run up on us (had a Lab do that at the park a year or so ago.. just ran right up to me when I had Sako, Piper & Wilson and literally jumped in the back of my car with them before I could stop him.. thank god for friendly dogs!)
I have never had any issues with them at home either. They pretty much always seek each other out and lay all over each other, they have zero sense of personal space.

Amstaffs are typically more dog tolerant than say, an ADBA APBT. But as others have said, with any Bully breed, DA is always a possibility. Make sure to get a dog from a breeder who has dogs who are fine with other dogs, that'll give you the best "head start".

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
As was said above, dog aggression is a trait in bully breeds, so you will need to plan and prepare accordingly. Sally is a "pit bull" mix and is VERY dog selective-there are not many dogs she gets along with. She gets along very well with our lab Jack, BUT we deliberately got a very dog social breed as a second dog and got him as a pup. Even so, when we leave Jack is crated so they are not loose together.

I'll just echo what everyone said above.

If dog friendliness is important to you, choose a breeder who has dog-social dogs. That, plus appropriate and positive socialization as a puppy (read: structured playtime with appropriate playmates and supervision by someone who knows what they're looking at) can give you a good headstart. It's never a guarantee with any dog of course.

My pit bully looking thing is very friendly and sociable with all dogs, even strange dogs coming in to the house. That being said I'd still never leave her alone with another dog if I wasn't nearby. Set your dogs up to succeed in their relationship and things usually go smoothly. I wouldn't let the risk of DA keep you from owning a breed you really want. :)

I have 2 Amstaffs (males, Sako is neutered, Barrett is intact), and then Piper is a mix of whatever, some Bully breed LOL.

All of my dogs get along great with every dog they meet, always have. Even random strange dogs that run up on us (had a Lab do that at the park a year or so ago.. just ran right up to me when I had Sako, Piper & Wilson and literally jumped in the back of my car with them before I could stop him.. thank god for friendly dogs!)
I have never had any issues with them at home either. They pretty much always seek each other out and lay all over each other, they have zero sense of personal space.

Amstaffs are typically more dog tolerant than say, an ADBA APBT. But as others have said, with any Bully breed, DA is always a possibility. Make sure to get a dog from a breeder who has dogs who are fine with other dogs, that'll give you the best "head start".
I could be wrong but an AKC amstaff can also be dual registered with the ukc/adba as a pitbull. :confused:

Torch

All bully breeds have the potential to develop dog aggression, no matter how they are raised. They may do great with other dogs until one day they just don't anymore. The saying goes "Never trust a pit bull not to fight", and I live by that. Even though my apbt gets along amazingly with my other dog, I take plenty of precautionary measures to keep the peace. They are never, ever, ever left alone unsupervised. Not even for five minutes. When no one is home to supervise, one is crated and there is a door between them. It may seem like overkill to someone who's never lived with bully breeds or dog aggressive dogs, but I just consider it precautionary.

Keep in mind that any of the bully breeds can "turn on" at any age. I've heard stories about bully breeds that have coexisted peacefully with other dogs for years and then one day, horrific dog fight.

I don't want to sound like an alarmist. Responsibly bred apbts/amstaffs are absolutely worth all the effort to me. They give sooo much, and are amazing companions. I just like to stress the importance of never being complacent about the fact that dog aggression *is* a breed trait. Crate/rotate is a very real possibility any time you bring one into your home with other pets. Is that something you can live with if necessary? I hope I never have to, but I'm aware that someday I may have to.

(Disclaimer - some lines are "colder" than others, and some are very hot. I would discuss it with the breeder you choose, but know that this also isn't a guarantee that you'll have a dog that gets along with other dogs.)
Excellent post. I always find your posts very informative and truthful.

I would just like to echo everything posted, with one addition. I have a 14 month old Amstaff male who is very dog selective, and was from a young age (5ish months). He's great with the dog he was raised with and other dogs he's properly introduced with. Still not ever left alone unsupervised. But a strange dog runs up to him with less than good intentions? Game over. At a dog show, where most of the dogs ignore each other? He acts like an angel. There's quite a bit of variation when you're dealing with DA and other dog relationships.

Members online