Teaching new things

My friend has a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, Lotta, who is one and a half years old. We thought that we would create a thread where we can discuss about her training and behavior. So we thought that we would start by telling you how Lotta behaves in training and which methods my friend uses and/or what are suitable for Lotta.

Her dog is sometimes hard to be trained because she's acting silly. That's why my friend must have pauses in training. There are at least three reasons why the dog is acting silly in training. One reason is that the dog thinks my friend is only her playmate. Another reason is that she thinks she'll get treats by acting silly. The third reason for her dog acting silly is that when she notices my friend starts training her, she gets excited about it. First she acts otherwise same way as a puppy in the video except she barks and might sit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLMJH-Wtrsk

After this my friend might get her dog to do several times some thing. Sometimes her dog focuses too much on acting silly so my friend doesn't get her dog to do anything at all.

Her dog sometimes just stares at her and waggs her tail because she doesn't get that she should do something else. When the dog is acting silly, it helps when the wanted behavior is divided in small parts and she's always rewarded after taking just a little step for the right direction.
Not always then either it's easy to get her dog to do anything.

My friend uses a clicker because her dog sometimes moves so fast and she wouldn't otherwise have enough time to reward her dog when she does something right. My friend should be able to reward Lotta at that exact moment because Lotta doesn't get that she should do some certain thing. There is only a small window of opportunity in doing so and after that Lotta might already do something else. Besides in finnish "good" might sometimes sound long. That is one reason why my friend uses a clicker with Lotta. Lotta may not always hear a verbal praise and that is another reason because: otherwise it is sometimes hard to reward her dog because she reacts differently to speak and a click.

This is not only about Lotta: Lotta often concentrates on something else and behaves sometimes like no one has said anything and like she wouldn't "hear" anything like those dogs in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9hy174JVroLotta behaves often that way also in training. Besides, my friend has read for example in here http://www.clickertraining.com/node/72 that a click affects differently to brain than words do.

My friend has read earlier that in clicker training the verbal cue is not used before the dog knows the behavior. She has also read why it isn't used before the dog knows the behavior and she just found an article about it. Understanding Learned Irrelevance in Dog Training She thinks that she cannot name the behavior immeadiately at the beginning, because when her dog does it at the beginning, it doesn't look similar as the end behavior.

My friend needs advice on dog training.

Lotta acts silly and that's why she is sometimes hard to be trained.

That's why my friend must have pauses in training. There are at least three reasons why the dog is acting silly in training. One reason is that the dog thinks my friend is only her playmate. Another reason is that she thinks she'll get treats by acting silly. The third reason for her dog acting silly is that when she notices my friend starts training her, she gets excited about it....../
/......Sometimes her dog focuses too much on acting silly so my friend doesn't get her dog to do anything at all.

Her dog sometimes just stares at her and waggs her tail because she doesn't get that she should do something else.
Lotta behaves by the ways we told because she is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Because Lotta acts silly when my friend tries to train her, it's sometimes difficult for my friend to figure out what to teach to Lotta and how. We have long time tried to find that out. However, we have been asking/looking for advice and ideas on dog training from a wrong place. When my friend found this forum, she thought that she may get advice better here.

Here are some of the things what my friend would like to teach to Lotta:
Recall http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268518
Frog, shake here: http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268660
We also asked there about targetting.

We mentioned there that Lotta doesn't know many tricks yet. So, you can suggest also something else besides the ones we have asked about in that trick thread.

My friend thought that we would discuss mostly about Lotta's behavior in this thread.

BostonBanker

I absolutely adore Cavaliers! Some of my good friends compete with them in agility, and they are such clever little dogs.

It sounds like Lotta might benefit from some self control games; you could look up things like Crate Games and It's Yer Choice for starters. There is a lot of information out there about teaching skills like that. They are wonderful for fast, happy dogs, because it helps them learn to slow down and restrain themselves a bit, without diminishing the enjoyment they have for working and playing with you.

It sounds like Lotta might benefit from some self control games; you could look up things like Crate Games and It's Yer Choice for starters...
My friend had already seen that suggestion earlier. She can at some point try it except she doesn't have room for a cage.

Lotta acts silly and that's why she is sometimes hard to be trained.

Lotta behaves by the ways we told because she is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Because Lotta acts silly when my friend tries to train her, it's sometimes difficult for my friend to figure out what to teach to Lotta and how...//...

Here are some of the things what my friend would like to teach to Lotta:
Recall http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268518
shake here: http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268660
We also asked there about targetting.
Add to the list:
Take and drop here: http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2360912#post2360912
We eventually wrote about the frog trick in that existing thread:
http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247358&page=3

We had told that:
My friend thought that we would create a thread where we can discuss about her training and behavior. So we thought that we would start by telling you how Lotta behaves in training and which methods my friend uses and/or what are suitable to Lotta..../

/......My friend uses a clicker because her dog sometimes moves so fast and she wouldn't otherwise have enough time to reward her dog when she does something right. My friend should be able to reward Lotta at that exact moment because Lotta doesn't get that she should do some certain thing. There is only a small window of opportunity in doing so and after that Lotta might already do something else. Besides in finnish "good" might sometimes sound long. That is one reason why my friend uses a clicker with Lotta. Lotta may not always hear a verbal praise and that is another reason because: otherwise it is sometimes hard to reward her dog because she reacts differently to speak and a click.

This is not only about Lotta: Lotta often concentrates on something else and behaves sometimes like no one has said anything and like she wouldn't "hear" anything like those dogs in video..//.. Lotta behaves often that way also in training. Besides, my friend has read that a click affects differently to brain than words do.

My friend has read earlier that in clicker training the verbal cue is not used before the dog knows the behavior. She has also read why it isn't used before the dog knows the behavior and she just found an article about it. Understanding Learned Irrelevance in Dog Training She thinks that she cannot name the behavior immeadiately at the beginning, because when her dog does it at the beginning, it doesn't look similar as the end behavior.
We had also told that:
Her dog is sometimes hard to be trained because she's acting silly. That's why my friend must have pauses in training. There are at least three reasons why the dog is acting silly in training. One reason is that the dog thinks my friend is only her playmate. Another reason is that she thinks she'll get treats by acting silly. The third reason for her dog acting silly is that when she notices my friend starts training her, she gets excited about it.
Lotta behaves by the ways we told because she is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Because Lotta acts silly when my friend tries to train her, it's sometimes difficult for my friend to figure out what to teach to Lotta and how.
So, my friend needs advice on dog training. She needs help/advice with these:

1) in figuring out what to teach to Lotta.
2) if she already knows it, then how to teach it. For example there doesn't seems to be information of how to teach the frog trick.
3) if my friend already knows what to teach and how for example take and drop
a) she tries something and it doesn't work then what she could try next.
b) For example: if she watches a tutorial about something, she doesn't always know how she should apply that with Lotta.

In the previous message we told for example that:
So, my friend needs advice on dog training. She needs help/advice with these:

1) in figuring out what to teach to Lotta.
2) if she already knows it, then how to teach it. For example there doesn't seems to be information of how to teach the frog trick.
3) if my friend already knows what to teach and how for example take and drop
a) she tries something and it doesn't work then what she could try next.
b) For example: if she watches a tutorial about something, she doesn't always know how she should apply that with Lotta.
Maybe my friend will get advice better now that we have made this signature:

Members online

No members online now.