Is it polite to microwave fish at work?

Is it polite to microwave fish at work?

• Yes, I love the strong smell of fish and I think everyone agrees!

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Yes, if I want fish for lunch, my coworkers will just have to deal with it!

Votes: 21 40.4%
  • No, you should not microwave fish at work- it's unfair for other coworkers to have to smell it

Votes: 25 48.1%
  • Baked salmon and asparagus

Votes: 5 9.6%

• Total voters
Huh, it's weird to me how many people are appalled at the idea of microwaving "leftover" fish. I often prepare a batch of lunches over the weekend for the following week, and I do sometimes use fish... just cut a large salmon filet into individual portions, cook all at once at home, and bring them for lunches (with veggie or whatever).

I've never noticed them having more of an odor than any other food heated in the microwave, and I've never noticed them not microwaving nicely or any differently than any other foods.

The microwave at my office is in a pretty isolated room apart from where people are actually working or eating and people eat all sorts of weird stuff, though, so nobody really ever complains about anyone else's food regardless.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I vote no. No stinky foods at work, although I have a coworker that microwaves fish all the time.

yoko

People like you knock it, because you usually don't have to live with it, it is much different when you do. This is why schools went on a "ban peanuts" rage, to which in fact I have a neighbor who has a child allergic to peanuts, so I don't buy peanut contaminated products for Halloween candy, I'm very considerate. And to add, no, actually I don't even know why I bothered to answer this question as I don't even work in a public environment for this very reason, fish isn't my only allergy.
I actually question it a lot. I have allergies to chocolate and strawberries. So while I don't have the 'nut' allergy people freak out about no one has a problem going willy nilly with what I am allergic to. For me I've known I've had it since I was a small child. There wasn't any kids giving me stuff I couldn't eat because I'd been raised being told not to eat them. If I know some place isn't going to make sure something is cleaned properly before making my food I just don't go there. I think it's more inconsiderate for me to demand they change how they run things because something bugs me.

If someone ended up being allergic to something like my fried rice * I don't know what is in there that people are allergic to but it's just an example* and told me I couldn't bring it for lunch and if I brought it for lunch I definitely couldn't nuke it to heat up my food I'd be pretty annoyed.

And before I'm jumped on for being insensitive I get being considerate toward people with allergies. I have a pretty uncommon allergy and I have to deal with people trying to sneak it to me all the time because they can't believe I'm allergic to them. But I think there is a point when asking some 200+ people to change their routine/eating habits for one person is kind of ridiculous.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I work with a smoker and that bothersome waaaay more than fish. I hide when she comes off breaks.

My other smoker coworkers don't smell but she REEKS of smoke. Nasty. I want to know what the others do that she doesn't. I never see them with gum or mints...
There's a guy on my floor that always reeks of cigarette smoke. I also have one coworker that usually is okay but last week must've used some new perfume. We all felt bad but it was so noticeable that many people had commented on it (not in front of the lady). It really was making me feel sick.

If someone is SO allergic to something that they can't even use a microwave after someone else has microwaved that food, honestly I think the company should provide a second microwave just for that person and everyone else HANDS OFF. Then everyone is reasonably accommodated.

I don't think it's reasonable to ask everyone else not to microwave a common food, but it's also not reasonable for that person to not be able to microwave food EVER for fear of their health.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I actually question it a lot. I have allergies to chocolate and strawberries. So while I don't have the 'nut' allergy people freak out about no one has a problem going willy nilly with what I am allergic to. For me I've known I've had it since I was a small child. There wasn't any kids giving me stuff I couldn't eat because I'd been raised being told not to eat them. If I know some place isn't going to make sure something is cleaned properly before making my food I just don't go there. I think it's more inconsiderate for me to demand they change how they run things because something bugs me.

If someone ended up being allergic to something like my fried rice * I don't know what is in there that people are allergic to but it's just an example* and told me I couldn't bring it for lunch and if I brought it for lunch I definitely couldn't nuke it to heat up my food I'd be pretty annoyed.

And before I'm jumped on for being insensitive I get being considerate toward people with allergies. I have a pretty uncommon allergy and I have to deal with people trying to sneak it to me all the time because they can't believe I'm allergic to them. But I think there is a point when asking some 200+ people to change their routine/eating habits for one person is kind of ridiculous.
yep. Quite frankly, it's a lot easier for me to change how I eat by making sure I don't have to use the microwave, utensils, whatever at work.

Cigarette smoke makes my throat very irritated. I don't go around expecting people to stop smoking because I am around. I go to where they aren't.

thehoundgirl

No, I do not think it's polite. I would not bring fish to work any way except shrimp but I can eat shrimp cold so it would not bother anyone. My ex boss complained about smelling my bag of ranch corn nuts across the room once lol. But I do not think they have an offensive smell like fish does. ;)

yoko

No, I do not think it's polite. I would not bring fish to work any way except shrimp but I can eat shrimp cold so it would not bother anyone. My ex boss complained about smelling my bag of ranch corn nuts across the room once lol. But I do not think they have an offensive smell like fish does. ;)
I don't notice a shrimp smell for as long as I do a fish. If it's cold it's a non-issue but even heated up it doesn't seem to linger as bad.

I have a friend who thinks corn nuts smell like feet so now when I smell them I think of that lol but they don't cause me to gag like reheated fish does.

unless they have literally made it from scratch. Everything from scratch.
Welcome to my world ;)
Want some fresh bread? If you have a problem with gluten (I thankfully, yet, don't) I could do that too.

Those are some pretty odd ones. Although, try this, "Corn", but wait, remember those "Hidden" labels when reading food "Dextrose" "Maltodextrin" "Food starch" "Fructose syrup", yeah. I do hate it, I hate looking like I'm such a rude person all the time for not taking offered food at events and such, but how do I know that pineapple wasn't preserved in Corn syrup? No, we aren't being rude, I thank people for the offer of food, but food is not my life, it just sometimes makes it more difficult.

If someone is SO allergic to something that they can't even use a microwave after someone else has microwaved that food, honestly I think the company should provide a second microwave just for that person and everyone else HANDS OFF. Then everyone is reasonably accommodated.

I don't think it's reasonable to ask everyone else not to microwave a common food, but it's also not reasonable for that person to not be able to microwave food EVER for fear of their health.
Actually, that isn't a bad idea, I do like that.

Of coarse, I do limit my own life in ways based on food allergies. People think I'm nuts/insane, I just had it with the suffering, so I don't currently work outside the house, or take long hotel trips, oh well.

But, "Fish" allergies are actually one of the more common ones, like peanuts, so I don't see why it's a problem to police them, seriously, who hasn't heard/known someone in their lifetime with a fish allergy? Actually, there were quite a few in my school system as a child, I don't ever remember them offering fish sticks? PBJ back then, sure.

Xandra

I can't remember hearing of a fish allergy!

ETA I should say, hearing of someone with a fish allergy, as in, I don't know of anyone with one... I knew they existed, but not that they were so common.

crazedACD

I voted no you shouldn't, as I am totally grossed out by the smell of cooked fish haha, but honestly it's just something I live with..I don't consider it a big deal.

Paige

Let it be
I wouldn't personally because I know a lot of people allergic to fish but I wouldn't care if someone else did it.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
All the people I know who are allergic to fish have to actually eat it to have a reaction. I do know tons of people that gag at the smell of fish though.

I think fish is pretty much the most delicious thing ever and it smells wonderful. I could live off of seafood.

But... I don't bring it to work because I don't want to be 'that person' that makes half the floor feel sick.

Saeleofu

I have reheated fish for lunch before, as well as had tuna (not heated though). Our lunch room is in a completely different part of the building, so the smell doesn't travel. One of my coworkers cooks burgers (from raw) almost every day, and that smells WAY worse than reheating fish for a minute and a half.

I think fish is pretty much the most delicious thing ever and it smells wonderful. I could live off of seafood.
Same here!

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
If what the lunchroom at work smells like is even a mild point on controversy at my job I think it's a pretty good day. Most of the time I'm busy doing/worrying about other things.

I prefer being tolerant. Some foods smell yucky, some habits smell yucky, if it's not actively making me dry heave I don't worry about it too much.

LauraLeigh

Aren't most fish allergies to shellfish? I know a couple people with shellfish allergies, I thought that was the big one in fish? I did travel with a friend to a JRT event in Maryland who had never prior had a problem and he had a bad reaction to crab...

As far as smelly foods at work go, my workplace is very tiny, only ever a couple of us at a time and we just check with each other... I never reheat fish anyways, I eat a lot of it but find it looses something when reheated... I do eat hard boiled eggs for breakfast sometimes but choose days when I work with a co-worker who often does the same!

Members online

No members online now.