Dogue De Bordeaux

Amber

I've met some before, and I think they're really cute in pictures and stuff, but I know next to nothing about them.

How protective are they? They don't APPEAR very intimidating, but are they?

How are they with other dogs? How much excercise do they need?

Thanks in advance!

milos_mommy

The experience I've had is that they've been *slightly* less intense than most mastiffs, both in the energy front and protective front. But I don't have a ton of experience, and the two I've met were well-socialized, almost definitely not from working lines. I know one liked other dogs.

M

MyHorseMyRules

I can tell you about the one I had, but I don't have any experience with others, so I don't know how well it will describe the actual breed.

She was not from working lines, and she was well-socialized. She got along well with other dogs. She had fairly strong protective instincts. And let me tell you, if you meant me harm, she was very intimidating, despite being on the smaller side.

She didn't take a whole lot of exercise. She was very calm in the house, and a long walk and a good game of fetch or tug was sufficient. She learned pretty quickly, but she had a stubborn streak.

oakash

Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One
They have wrinkles :D

Yeah, sorry, all I know about them is what they look like

Maura

One of the major dog magazines ran an article on them. They are not for everyone. In fact, they are not for most people. They must be really well socialized and really well trained. I got the impression they are for dominant type people.

Danefied

Most molosser breeds are going to have some protective instincts, a lot also depends on the "nurture" part of the nature/nurture equation.

The dog in the movie "Turner and Hooch" is a Dogue.

Members online

No members online now.