Microchipped dog found but not returned

gapeach

Big Mutts
It just never occurred to me that a microchipped dog wouldn't be returned to her owner.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
The story is two years old, but I can't seem to find an update to it, if they got the dog back or not.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
That is sad. I know if I had bought a dog and it turned out to be a little kid's stolen pet there would be no way I could keep that dog. I'd be driving it myself to take it back to them.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I know in Canada if you buy stolen property, and dogs are property, you are out your money.
But the police dropped the investigation. That's the bugger. It was no longer a criminal matter, but a civil matter.

She could take it to court but she couldnt afford it....

Investigation dropped or not, if you buy a stolen dirt bike they take it from you and return it, you can claim stupid and not be charged. The same should work for in the case of the dog. If there were no leads, and after six months it's understandable there wouldn't be, the case of the original theft and re-sale would be dropped, but ultimately it's my dirt bike, you don't get to keep it just because you didn't steal it, and the case was dropped.

I would be returning the stolen dog as well, or at least replacing it with a new puppy, in this case, since I had the dog longer then they did.

Saeleofu

We actually ran into this (or something similar) a couple times at the clinic (usually with cats). A lot of people don't even think to check for a chip. And when you find a chip, you're not obligated to call the number. And if you call the number, you're not obligated to do anything about it. It really sucks.

Red.Apricot

We actually ran into this (or something similar) a couple times at the clinic (usually with cats). A lot of people don't even think to check for a chip. And when you find a chip, you're not obligated to call the number. And if you call the number, you're not obligated to do anything about it. It really sucks.
This scares me; not so much that Elsie'll be stolen, but if she gets lost, she looks like a GSD mix (and probably one that's been abused; why else would she be so 'scared' right?) and it seems likely that she might not even be scanned at a clinic/shelter--so even though she's chipped, it wouldn't do any good if no one checks.

gapeach

Big Mutts
It is also my fear if Gracie was lost. First of all they would have a VERY hard time catching her. She moves crazy fast for a 75 lb dog. And I think if it was a man she'd try to bite him. If she was ever taken to the shelter they'd list her as aggressive. Scares me to death.

Shakou

I hear stories like this more and more these days.... Does anyone remember the story of the women who lost her dog in NM, the dog ended up in the pound, was micro chipped but the owner never contacted, than adopted out? What IS the point if shelters don't even bother? :/

stafinois

Professional Nerd
Stan's chip can't be read by any of the local scanners. He has an international chip and everybody here just has the ones that scan the AVID frequency. I'm thinking of getting him double Chipped.

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
Very scary! I do think that microchips work in favor for the owner more times than not though. This spring my mom and I found a big black lab loose on our road - in good weight but filthy and no collar (or any indication that he wore a collar). He was obviously lost, following cars and was going to get hit. We picked him up and checked with a couple of neighbours, but no one knew who he belonged to. We were thinking for sure that it would be a battle to find his owners - nope, we took him to a vet clinic, who found a chip, and held on to him for us until his owners came to retrieve him. It was a happy ending :)

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Even scarier.

When I got Joey I had him scanned because I was planning to chip him but didn't want to if he was already chipped.

I called Home Again and said I adopted a dog with this chip number and they asked for my info and bam he was in my name. They didn't call and ask the original owners or anything. It was literally that simple.

Brattina88

Even scarier.

When I got Joey I had him scanned because I was planning to chip him but didn't want to if he was already chipped.

I called Home Again and said I adopted a dog with this chip number and they asked for my info and bam he was in my name. They didn't call and ask the original owners or anything. It was literally that simple.
That's scary :(
Good for you, but bad for me :eek:

Tha main reason I got Bailey chipped is because I had so many freaking people who told me they wanted her and were going to take her. I mean at first it was flattering, yeah my dog is cute, but then it got creepy and excessive. And its easy for her to slip most collars, and she was so flighty when I first got her I knew I chip was our best bet.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
I've seen dogs that were chipped, registered, and then their information was never updated. Or we called and left messages we had their dog, and still they go unclaimed.

None of mine are chipped, and unless someone offered to do it for free I have no forseeable plans of getting it done. A cat would be a different story, joe schmo can't tell the different between a brown and grey tiger cat.

gapeach

Big Mutts
Even scarier.

Wow! That is really scary!

Members online

No members online now.