King is a solo dog now..

I put Molly down Monday morning. I'm not sure what happened to her. Late Sat night, I was about to leave for work and I walked into the bedroom and she was doing something with her right front foot, like she was shaking hands. Her eyes were strange, darting back and forth. I said her name and she snapped out of it, and she went and ate and drank water with no problems. When I got home from work, she was walking very badly, like her hips went out. I checked her over and she seemed to be pain free, and since she really hated to go to the vet's, I left her alone. She got better and seemed ok, pretty much normal, when I left for work. When I got back, she was a mess, she was unable to get up and she had peed all over herself. I wiped her off and she looked different than I had ever seen her before. I loaded her up and took her to the vet, thinking it would be a one way ride. On the way, she sat with her head on the armrest and just looked at me. When we got close to the vet's office, at the point she normally would begin to shake and grind her teeth, she just looked at me and I knew it was time. The vet looked her over and said the neurological issues she had were probably to the point her legs just wouldn't work anymore, and agreed it was time. They have a nice little "farewell room" with a fake fireplace, candles, a big gel filled bed and she went very nicely. When I got home afterwards, King looked for her for a while, about a half hour, and I told him "Molly's gone", and he seemed to understand and was back to normal. Almost a week later, he's doing ok, better than I am. I keep yelling for Molly to come every time I eat, and it's very odd that she isn't there anymore. She wasn't a very "happy" dog, her sole pleasure seemed to be hunting, something she hadn't been able to do for the last 2 years or so, so I suppose it was time for sure. I had a dog that King liked lined up in case he needed someone to boss around, but I was afraid a 22 month old Black and Tan Coonhound would hurt him, unintentionally, just being a young, 100 pound dog. If he's still looking for a home when King goes, I'm going to take him, even though the neighbors will probably hate me.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I am very sorry you and King have had to let Molly go. You vet's room sounds like a lovely place to take her to cross the bridge. Rip girl, I hope there are grand fields for roaming in heaven.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
I'm sorry--it isn't easy to let them go--but it sounds like it was indeed her time. RIP Molly.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Oh no. I'm sorry. =< It's still hard even when we know the time is right.

That's the hard part of loving them -- letting them go. You really did right by her, though, and I'm sure she's watching . . . when she's not enjoying a good hunt.

Dekka

Just try me..
I am sorry to hear this. How terribly sad you had to let her go. If dogs go anywhere after they are gone, hopefully she is there hunting with joy in a body that works as its supposed to.

Doberluv

I'm so sorry for your loss. That room at the vet's sure does sound like a calming place to be. You did the right thing. It was her time to go. But of course, that doesn't make it any easier. I know you'll miss her. I'm just really sorry. (((hugs)))

spiffy

Sad :( but at least Molly is now in a happy place...probably hunting to her heart's content.

Barb04

Super Moderator
My heart goes out to you. Try to remember all the love you and Molly shared. I just know she's running free with all our loved ones.

Thanks for all the kind words. I'm still yelling for her once in a while. King gave me a scare this week, he started wanting to go out to pee, over and over again, and he had a couple of accidents. He seemed ok otherwise, but after it went into the second day of it, I took him to the vet to see what's up. His urine is pretty diluted, but other than that, the urine strip came back ok, so they sent a urine sample to the lab. I think the vet was thinking King had developed CCD due to age, but I was pretty sure he had a urinary tract infection. Turned out that's what it is, and he's on meds. Hopefully that will fix him all up. He seems to feel fine, and he definitely hasn't lost his appetite, and he still seems to be the same "evil genius" he's always been. One thing shocking me so far since Molly has been gone, has how much less King eats than she did, and how little water he drinks compared to her. I used to have to fill up the water at least once a day, but now I just toss half of it out. He still drinks a lot more than he used to. It's very odd not to have them playing their "musical beds" game where they exchanged beds about every two hours or so. King just plops on the couch and there he stays.

Thanks, a couple of days on the pills and his bladder is back to it's previous huge capacity and he can go hours without peeing and I don't get woke up from the doggy door clacking over and over again. I guess he's going to see 14 (on Dec.23) for sure now. I keep thinking that I'm going to be going through it all over again, all too soon.

Members online

No members online now.