Since I'm on such a hound kick lately, which are your favourites?

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
I've never met a Redbone Coonhound that I didn't immediately fall in love with. Same with Black-and-tans.

Sighthounds count too! I have had an Ibizan obsession since I opened my first dog book.

Toller_08

I'm not really a good fit for a hound as far as living with them, but there are lots I love the looks of. Dachshunds (smooth and longhaired... wires are ok, but not quite my thing), Ibizans, Pharaohs, Whippets (LH inparticular), Salukis and Redbone Coonhounds are some of my favourites. My absolute favourite is the Rhodesian Ridgeback though. I love them and could see myself with one someday. I quite enjoy the ones that I know. And lately I've really, really been wanting another Dachshund for some reason. While they're really not ideal for me, I had a lot of fun with the ones we had and think I could do it again. But definitely not anytime soon... it would be in the far away future.

Dekka

Just try me..
LHW Obviously , but I like the smooths too. Not as big a fan of the silkens I have met. I do like salukis.

Not a scent hound person, they are a really bad fit for me. BUT I do love basenjis :D

Pops2

ridgebacks are in the hound group for show purposes, but they are really curs.
i like the hounds that get the job done, but a calico colored goodman is a stiking dog as is a light brindle coldblood grey or stag. a light marked yellow or red brindle plott or july is easy to look at as well.
ETA
basenji is a pariah & norwegians are spitz/northerns. most all dogs will hunt, it doesn't make them hounds.

We have a very cool Saluki that comes in to our shop. I'll be honest, I'm not big into scenthounds. We get a lot of Bassetts and they're just too whiny and messy for me. (The ones I know. Don't attack me. LOL!) I can live without the beagles and coonhounds I've met, too. A lot of people find them "cute," but I guess I just don't see it. But I would take the Saluki home with me. I've only met a very few greyhounds and whippets, and they seem like neat dogs, too.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Borzoi. Borzoi. Borzoi. IG. Borzoi. Greyhound. Borzoi. Whippet. Borzoi. Borzoi.

Harrier. Any of the foxhounds really. Or coonhounds. Beagles. Borzoi.

Not Salukis. Ever.

Borzoi.

Bigpoodleperson

Megan and Draco
I am really not a scent-hound girl. Like, At. All. Some are pretty, but So not the dog for me! :D
I really like alot of the sight hounds though, and hope to have one someday! Irish wolfhounds, salukis, whippets, greyhounds, maybe borzoi.

MicksMom

...ETA
basenji is a pariah & norwegians are spitz/northerns. most all dogs will hunt, it doesn't make them hounds.
From the NEAA website:
...From the present back through the centuries of recorded time, Elkhounds have been kept in Norwegian rural districts by farmers, herdsmen, and hunters to serve as watchdogs, guardians of flocks, and as trackers of big game: moose, reindeer, and bear...

So, really more an all round farm dog, but they became more "specialized" in hunting/tracking. Oh, and Elkhound is a mis-translation. In Norway they are called Elghund, which means Moosedog.

http://www.neaa.net/breed_info/history.html

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I typically can't stand (scent) hounds, but I do LOVE Bassets. <3 I didn't know Dachshunds were considered hounds (for some reason I've always thought of them as terriers lol), but I'm also a fan of smooth haired doxies.

For sighthounds, I've only ever met Greyhounds. I suppose I've met one whippet (whom I dislike) and a Scottish Deerhound (whom I also dislike), but since that is only a one dog sample size I'm withholding judgement. I have always admired, however, Ibzans and Pharaoh Hounds.

Irish Wolfhound is on my short list for sure....I will have one one day...just love them

I have fallen in love with Ibizans too, especially wire hair.

Bloodhounds, I do like them but dont think I would ever own one.

Maxy24

I've only spent time with Bassets and a bloodhound. They were all SUPER sweet, cuddle for hours and when you stop want some more type dogs which I absolutely LOVE. Not a huge fan of the volume, when I picked up the Basset's poop bags (which means it's walk time) my head almost exploded. I also like athletic dogs, and Basset's are certainly not built for that. The Bloodhound has lots of energy, she's a SAR dog, not sure if she'd be agile though. Plus there's the drool...

But so much love and sweetness, I really do love that about them, I think they tend to make awesome family pets, but seem to get overlooked a lot for that. Perhaps it's the noise.

Romy

Taxiderpy
I can never imagine NOT having a borzoi around. They just make such good housemates.

Of sight hounds I like them all, but the ones on my favorites and possibly to own list are American stags, deerhound, azawakh, sloughi, galgo, taigan (I wish we could get them in the US). I also like little whippety dogs with coat, like the LHW, silkens, and those little wire coated appalachian whippet things.

Scent hounds are awesome too. Some day I want a nice coonhound or coonhound mix. Love plotts, walkers, black and tans and redbones.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
I'd love to hunt whenever we get our own property. But I fear that what I grew up with was a very skewed version of hunting. I'd love to spend time with someone who hunts, and does something more than letting the dogs out of the kennel and then sitting in the truck for six hours and driving around looking for them later.

Dekka

Just try me..
What sort of hunting? Its quite different if you are hunting coyotes or deer for example (and very different if you want to hunt rabbits with whippets, or down holes with doxies, groundhongs wtih JRTs..) Do you want to tree things?

Members online

No members online now.