I think it's fleas

Well he scratches a whole lot and he has lots of red irritated bumps. i gave him a flea bath with oatmeal in it for his skin yesturday night. didn't seem to help much. any suggestion on shampoo products, and products for the carpet/bed. Buster sleeps on my bed with me usually..

ok, so the irritated bumps are only on his crotch/belly/chest. so i think it's an allergic reaction to something. I remembered i used a diff cleaner to clean his crate the other day. So i irrigated the plastic bottom of his cage. and i am going to look into shampoo's for irritated skin. keep irrigating his cage and giving him these washes. Can one put human skin cream on dogs? Like Diaper rash stuff? A&D. I plan on getting him a big plastic thing for his head so he can't bite at his rump till these heal. Don't need them getting badldy infected.

well i looked through his skin i did not see any flea dirt, or fleas. I gave him a flea bath the other day now and he's on front line.

welp.. i found a flea on him right above his tail. Can anyone suggest things for the carpet/bed and a shampoo for him?

goldiefur

This is what I use: http://www.lambertkay.com/products/prod_results.aspx?Prod_ID=14

I use the oatmeal shampoo and conditioner on my dog at least once a month but I usually wash him twice a month with it and he has been doing good with it. He gets an itchy back and he gets itchy by his tail and it drives him crazy:yikes: so after I soap him up I let him sit with the shampoo on for ten minutes then I let him sit with the conditioner for ten minutes and it really helps him.

There is probably better stuff out there but this seems to work good for my dog. I have used more expensive shampoo that I did not think worked as well. I buy it at Petsmart but I have found it sold out so often that I gave up and I usually just buy it online somewhere.

Have you tried K9 Advanantix
no, will this get rid of them off him? I just bombed my room today (he spends most of his time in there with me when we're not on walks) and i gave him a bath in some walmart flea bath/oatmeal stuff. And i just now found another one on him. will simple washing my cloths/bed sheets get rid of them off that? should i bomb the room again tomorrow since i found another one on him? he's not scratching uncontrollably any longer..

Herschel

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
Frontline, Advantage, or Advantix (as long as you don't have a cat) will do well for him.

The Wal-Mart/Hartz stuff is worthless pretty much. You're just making the fleas smell good.

You have to watch out with some of the standard flea bombs and shampoos, they can be extremely toxic.

Just keep using the Frontline and that should help a lot. Try spreading boric acid or diatomaceous earth on your carpet, leaving for a couple of days and then vacuuming it up. http://www.care2.com/greenliving/all-around-non-toxic-flea-control.html

http://www.hartzvictims.org
well.. the bottom floor is all hardwood floring.. and can one leave boric acid or diatomaceous earth down /w the dogs out? i don't live near anyone i could keep the dogs at their place.

goldiefur

You have to watch out with some of the standard flea bombs and shampoos, they can be extremely toxic.

Just keep using the Frontline and that should help a lot. Try spreading boric acid or diatomaceous earth on your carpet, leaving for a couple of days and then vacuuming it up. http://www.care2.com/greenliving/all-around-non-toxic-flea-control.html

http://www.hartzvictims.org
Can't boric acid kill pets?:yikes: Correct me if I'm wrong I always heard it was toxic what if the dog licked the carpet?

goldiefur

Are you using Frontline plus? How long have you been using it? When we first started I found out you have to give it awhile to kill all the fleas it gets the eggs and everything but it is not instant. My dog has flea allergy so if he gets one flea bite he will get red around the area and get real itchy and the more he scratches the more it will spread. I bought him some herbal itch relief spray and some herbal numbing pads if he gets bad off I use that on him but it is rare now that it happens since he has been on Frontline Plus.

The Frontline and the oatmeal bath has really done the trick. We have never had to spray for fleas Frontline Plus has taken care of the whole cycle of fleas. I have heard from people on here that it may stop working after awhile and you will have to switch to another flea med but this has not happened to us yet.

Welp, im stupid.. i did my own research.. and ima go get some of this DE stuff for the house.. or i am going to make this Citrus extract thing. Seems like id be simmering lots of lemons tomorrow...

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
Advantage and the like can take up to 12 hours to kill fleas. If you want 'instant' give the dog a capstar, it'll kill all the fleas on the dog within 30 minutes and keep them off for 24 hours.

Also remember not to bathe your dog two days before or after application of a topical flea treatment as it ruins the oils in the coat or strips off the flea treatment unless it's not a harsh shampoo.

has anyone heard of giving the dog half a pill of benedril for their itching? my roomates girlfriend works in a vets and said its what they do.

Charliesmommy

I run with scissors
You need to determine the cause of the itching before you start giving meds. The dog could have anything from a bacterial infection or fungal infection to a parasite or an allergy. Sounds to me like it might be time for a vet visit. You don't want to give unnecessary medications that are not going to help anyway.

But to answer your question, if a vet determines that your dog has allergies, you can give Benadryl WITHOUT decongestant. 1 mg per pound.

bubbatd

I had a stray pug for a few days who was infested !! When I took her in to see if she had a chip , I bought a capstar .... sure worked !

i really don't think he has anything internal. he was just at the vets not a week or two ago and was on metronidezal. and i have found a few fleas on his back side..

Charliesmommy

I run with scissors
Metronidazole is an antibiotic, which still does not rule out fungal infection or parasite. Did they do a skin scraping?

You are probably right that the problem is fleas if you are seeing them. Is the Frontline you used working? Remember that you can not bathe the dog 48 hours before or after using Frontline or Advantix, otherwise it will not be effective.

Members online

No members online now.