It is all about the ball.

We're at a forest preserve which requires dogs to be leashed. I've got 120' of light rope attached to Tessa's harness (which the forest preserve police tell me is an acceptable interpretation of their rules).

I throw a tennis ball. Tessa bounds after it, catches it, covers the ball with dog slobber, and brings it back to me. We repeat this over and over and over again, and like a typical 2 year-old lab, Tessa gives every indication she could keep playing fetch all day.

Then, just as I release the tennis ball, two deer step out of the woods. If Tessa doesn't reach the tennis ball before it stops bouncing, the ball will probably end up within ten feet of the deer.

I change my stance slightly so that when Tessa starts running after the deer I can maybe keep my feet under me as she jerks my arm and dislocates my shoulder.

"Tessa, COME!" I yell, knowing full well that we're not that far along in her training.

Sure enough, she ignores my call. Then, with single-minded determination, Tessa lunges for the tennis ball, catches it, and sprints back to me.

Ahhh, Labs - you gotta love 'em, don't you?

I'm Rob Fish. In addition to Tessa, the two-year old Chocolate Lab puppy, I've got three kids and five grandkids. I also get to dog-sit my daughter's two dogs from time to time. I have a small, family-run business, and live in Ohio. I am, without a doubt, a "dog person." To mangle a Will Rogers quote a bit, I've never met a dog I didn't like.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Welcome! I like your introduction. Tessa sounds like quite the character. I look forward to your posts.

Thanks Barb!

It has been well over 10 years since I've regularly participated in an online forum.

My wife was challenged by multiple sclerosis for just over 20 years. When her condition reached the point she couldn't be left alone for long periods of time, we started a home-based business so I could work from home and take care of her.

While my wife passed away a few years ago, our business is still my sole source of income (I'm too old and too set in my ways to go to work for someone else). I stumbled across Chazhound while looking for places to promote my business.

I like what I've read so far and expect to contribute to the forums on a regular basis.

Have a GREAT day!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
WElcome to Chazhound! Sounds like you have a lovely family.

Members online

No members online now.