Boerboel fans - SABT Appraisal Southern Ontario - New date - November 21, 2009

pitbullpony

BSL Can Be Beaten
APPRAISAL DAY - NOVEMBER 21, 2009

Click for more information to arrange your Boerboel's appraisal.
For SABT info. re: Membership and what paperwork is required; check here; Next Scheduled North American Appraisal Tour (SABT -- South African Boerboel Breeders Association)

(You need to be an SABT member and your dog needs to be on the Appraisal list - scroll down past the Schedule table to find useful links)

12195 Willodell Road

Niagara Falls, Ontario

GPS location - East 0654045 North 4762749

TeeCreek.Com

Time: 9:00 a.m. SHARP

Appraiser: Thys von Solms

SABT Account Statement must be produced at the door; or fees will be collected by office staff.

We are expecting a decent turnout of 20 Boerboels; but there is always room for more.

Remember the SABT is accepting Foreign Registry dogs; so your USBA/EBBASA/AKC dogs can come and be appraised as well.

For event info: check here;
CAVB SABT APPRAISAL November 21, 2009

BRING SOME SPENDING MONEY

SHOW PHOTOS (STACKED WITH BACKDROP) WILL BE TAKEN BY SYREN PHOTOGRAPHY

Their set prices are as follows;

Glossy 8 x 10 is 15.00

Glossy 5 x 7 is 10.00

Glossy 4 x 6 is 5.00

Multiple shot photo CD is 25.00

All of these prices are in Canadian funds and all products will be made available for you to take home THAT day!

CHILI, COFFEE, TEA, WATER AND POP WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE

Amstaffer

I think Boerboels are very interesting. I with there were more around, as I would love to know more about them.

From your experience, how would you compare them to other breeds temperament wise?

Like Rotties, American Bulldogs, Bullmastiffs, Presa Canarios etc...

pitbullpony

BSL Can Be Beaten
I think Boerboels are very interesting. I wish there were more around, as I would love to know more about them.

From your experience, how would you compare them to other breeds temperament wise?

Like Rotties, American Bulldogs, Bullmastiffs, Presa Canarios etc...
I think individually there is greater difference than there is as a whole breed. The S.A. Boerboel is still a developing breed; which for the most part the parent clubs are o.k. with; occasionally they close the stud books; then like this year; they decide they want more dogs and admit foreign registry animals. There were a lot of different breeds that made up the Boerboel (Great Dane, Boxer, Bullmastiff a number of times, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Bull Terrier, St. Bernard (supposedly) Some dogs today exhibit tendencies towards the contributing breeds; some dogs today have a 3 generation pedigree with an unknown ancestor. There is a tendency today; a recommendation from many S.A. breeders that to keep to the original type; you would breed your mastiff type to your houndy type (think that's kind of self explanatory) to keep an even keel; and oddly the better bred ones following those lines tend to look fairly similar. Then you have the money breeders who want to go big, BIG, BIGGER! That just creates a sloth. You've got a 200 lb. dog that's only 66" at the shoulder; where is he putting all that.

They are neat dogs; very similar to what I dealt with with my pitbull (but that's the bully stuff which I enjoy) but more man aggression when needed.
Some can/are dog aggressive/reactive; typically male to male; but Dora is fairly reactive; but that is known in her lines and something we will breed away from.

Vs. Rotties -- less handler aggression; as long as acquired as a pup -- acquired as an adult; can be brought round; but an adult needs time to decide you are their person. People often acquire adult breeding dogs from S.A. and simply do not take into acc't that this is a strong and proud breed; they will not accept a stranger's rough handling. Sometimes they aren't that interested in any kind of stranger handling. My only experience with Rotties has been show or assho; so I'm probably not the best person to compare; Dora's breeder however moved from Rottie to Boerboel because at the time she couldn't find any decent Rottie breeders that she liked. The owner of the SchHIII boerboel is getting another Boerboel to work; and his wife has world-champion SchH Rottweilers

Vs. Ambull - probably not quite so driven -- ambulls were bred for catch purposes (and yes the Boerboel can do that quite competently; there is a breeder in Kansas and one in Australia who are quite happy on large ranches using their 'boels; and now Ambulls are heading the way of the sport dog -- most Boerboels are too dour/serious for sport; there are some jollier types who think the whole idea of biting a sleeve is fun (usually have a fair bit of houndier influence) but most have a quick switch to anger/serious when someone provokes them.

Vs. Bullmastiffs - drivier; what a Bullmastiff today was in 1800s -- an athletic guardian breed who was watchful and on - shorter than the BM in stature; not quite so much leg; cleaner muzzle - ideally

Vs. Presas - similar I'd think; similar background; body style etc. - Presas may show more active aggression - I'm not sure

Vs. Cane Corsos - less athletic; different build; not a courser; more of a hang out on the ranch next to the people kind of dog

They are really neat; they will protect/defend their people to the death; but not so much belongings. Dora will light up if me/kids/brother -- anyone she has chosen as family is in the van; but will only spark up when in their alone; if the person is very nosey; they have to be right up close to the window for her to think it's a big deal.

They are a very intuitive breed (which I think is bully in origin) will try to figure things out on their own and will devote amazing amounts of energy trying to please you; climb tall mountains for you kind of dog. Problem solvers to make their masters happy.

Dora's cool; she understands where her protection should be applied; which I think is kinda neat. She's tightly bonded to me; but when her kids were being approached by what she thought was a stranger (my mom but their eyesight's not the best), she left my side and took off for at least a 1/4 mile (with intent) to make sure her kids were o.k. Thankfully she recognized my mom by sight/smell as she got closer; the happy tail got going and I think she felt a bit sheepish. She does do the nanny dog thing; keeping the kids together and making sure no one approaches. The males of the breed are known for love of children as well and they were used as "babysitters" in S.A. when the kids are outside. She smiles like my old APBT did; big wide grin when she's feeling goofy.

They are very alert to the "what is wrong with this picture" phenomenon; and sometimes breeding in or enhancing the reactivity leads to weak nerves. Unfortunately breeders on this side of the pond often don't know how to read their dogs and think that a spook is a good dog; 'cause it barks and hackles up when a stranger enters the room. Tail crammed up it's ass and claws gripping the floor does not a strong dog make; but many breeders make too many allowances. This is where BMM is probably seeing the crap breeders. Dora's line is known for strong dogs; and certainly there are lines available that are strong; but you have to be willing to live with them; give them a job to do and often use the NILIF philosophy. I think as puppies they can be chosen easily by temperament; they seem to be pretty consistent from what you can see at 4 weeks to what you deal with when they are older.

Dora to me; is the puppy I chose, confident; tail over the back; bonds to her people. The one thing that I think is kind of neat; anything that she is unsure of; she'd prefer me not lead her to it and show her; she'll wait until I'm out of the picture and go over to the object on her own to check it out and make sure; then she trots over to me with a big grin and waggy tail; all proud. Never had another dog do that; they either wanted to have nothing to do with it; or I had to go touch/bang/indicate the object wasn't a threat.

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
Interesting. They are all over the place here. I find it so quirky that they are rare over there.

Members online

No members online now.