Dad shoots laptop because of FB post

RD

Are you dead yet?
lol, it made me laugh. I say good job to that guy, honestly.

I hate how entitled some kids act. "I won't be there to take care of you when you're old because you make me clean the house".... Yeah.... :rolleyes: Looks to me like she was living in pure torturous poverty, that poor poor thing.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
lol, it made me laugh. I say good job to that guy, honestly.

I hate how entitled some kids act. "I won't be there to take care of you when you're old because you make me clean the house".... Yeah.... :rolleyes: Looks to me like she was living in pure torturous poverty, that poor poor thing.
Yeah, that! That guy is awesome :D

yoko

Thought it was HILARIOUS.

But as someone who has worked with a lot of the tech she had I cringe every time I hear a parent purchased their 15 year old an iPad, iPod and Laptop.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
The chores they have for her, as described by her father, don't seem unreasonable. It sounds like she was acting like a spoiled brat, and probably put that post on her facebook page so that her friends would think she was cool.

I don't really agree with shooting the laptop though, that seems wasteful. I would have just taken it away, had it wiped, and donated it someone who needed it!

we have a cleaning lady, her name is Linda, not hannah

I can't help but think of all the harsh lessons that will be coming this young girls way in the future with an attitude like that.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Parenting win.

She might as well learn early on that what you post on the web on social networking page can and will come back to bite you in the a$$. Think before you type people--it's not that difficult. I also enjoyed the comments about the poor mistreated child has a right to vent to her friends, yada, yada, yada. She absolutely has a right to vent to her friends, but amazingly enough, teenagers were bitching to their friends about their parents loooong before not only FB, but *gasp*, the internet! If you are going to say those things about your parents, at least have the brains to NOT POST IT ON THE WEB--especially if you have been in trouble for FB related offenses before (and therefore your parents are obviously paying attention) and have a dad in IT.

Honestly, I was that kid who had a comfortable life and whined about having to do chores that I wasn't paid for (the horror!!). That FB post could have been written by a disgruntled teenage me. My poor mother and I went around and around about that during my teenage years--I think I will have to show her this video--lol

Ok, I will be in the minority.

Saw this all day on FB and it really really upsets me. Yes, the daughter was acting like an immature brat (as teen are wont to do) So the dad's equally immature rant is somehow ok? How in the world is his rant supposed to fix anything? If a teenager is having feelings like that instead of mocking and assuming entitlement issues, perhaps get to the ROOT of the problem instead of proving you are a complete hypocrite. Dont you dare curse (as he curses) Dont you dare vent to your friends about family (while I freaking make a youtube video of myself doing it) You better learn the value of money (while I shot your laptop...no thats not a complete waste of money at all...talk about respecting money).

I understand the father's anger but think his reaction is completely ridiculous and shows exactly where his daughter got this behavior.

She is a teen, they rant, they rave, everything is the end of the world. They overreact. How about be a parent and act mature. Dont react back and feed it.

And no, I am sorry, I think it is ridiculous to demand a 15 year old get a job. He wasnt saying hey, you want all these extras you need to work (which is reasonable) but more of you are 15 and you better have a **** job.

I am sorry, but I find this father's reaction sickening.

Oh, and to add.

My mom and I were talking about it. At first I just described it to her and she was "on the dad's" side in a sense. She was talking about entitlement issues, disrespect, etc. Then she watched it.

First words out of her mouth "Yeah, he is an idiot. Thats awful"

Paige

Let it be
I don't agree with public humiliation in reaction to kids or teens acting out. I don't think this is the end of the world, I laughed to be hoenst at the video but I would not personally ever do this to Briggs.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Idk, the root of me not wanting to do chores was that I was lazy and would prefer someone else do them--lol. I probably ranted in a similar fashion, but I was smart enough to not put it somewhere my mom would see it.

RD

Are you dead yet?
I don't think it's ridiculous to tell a kid to get a job. When I was 15 I had a job, I apprenticed as a dog groomer. I wasn't given laptops, in fact I didn't have my own laptop until I was 18.

I don't think the dad was being mature in his retaliation, but if I put myself in his shoes, I'd be hurt and I'd lash out too. If my child embarrassed me publicly after being asked/told not to do that exact thing, I would see no problem with embarrassing them in turn. If it makes a big impact on her and alters her behavior in the future, we call that a lesson. Not all lessons are "abuse" or cruel or ridiculous.

Was it immature? Yup. Was it entirely out of line? Not IMO. Sometimes logic and reason doesn't get through to teenage girls. I was a nasty little brat sometimes as a teenager, but I didn't realize how hurtful it was when I lashed out at others until some of those people lashed back at me.

So while that guy may not have acted perfectly and without emotion, I still kinda cringe to see the people talking about how much they pity this kid. She screwed up, she humiliated someone publicly and as payment, she lost her (parents') laptop and got knocked off her high horse.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
I had a work permit at 15, but I didn't get a job until I was 16. He's probably not insisting his kid get a full-time job and work her ass off 24/7. He probably just wants her to get some part-time job to learn a little work ethic, which she doesn't seem to have much of (yet). 15 year olds can only work so many hours under the law, anyway.

yoko

I don't feel bad for her. At 10 I was doing more chores than she was. At 12 I was still doing those chores plus I was out mowing all our acres. I got paid when I was 16 and got a car. One full days work got me $20 and if I wanted something I saved for it.

At 15 around here you can work at a lot of the restaurants and most businesses and so jobs are available.

I think the video was more for her friends who were egging her on. I personally think he taught her a good lesson. The internet doesn't mean you can say whatever you want. She was INCREDIBLY disrespectful to her parents and the woman who she called 'the cleaning lady' and calling her out on what she said on the same public forum as a rebuttal doesn't seem wrong to me. From what I gathered from the video they had tried talking about it before and it didn't work so he took and extreme measure to get through to his daughter.

Also as someone who helps with hiring we do search FB and google to see what pops up. And I don't care how old someone is if that pops up when I google them because they have left it online I would probably toss out that resume. If that's their attitude about their family what will they say about my company or their coworkers?

And just a note on the laptop. The laptop didn't sound new. It needed upgrading and a new battery. Laptops really don't hold their worth very well. You'll see a ton of laptops on Craigslist but if you watch they either don't sell or you see the prices constantly dropping to try to find a buyer and if you live out in the boonies driving to the nearest city to try to sell a laptop for minimal $$ might not be worth it. And I know most of the pawn shops around here don't even take computers because they become outdated so quickly they literally depreciate before their eyes if it's there more than a month or so. Also you can't really get refunds on software since it is limited to so many computers now so even if he did sell it he prob wouldn't get gas and software cost back.

Also if you haven't seen it here's the update:

http://www.litefm.com/cc-common/mainheadlines3.html?feed=421220&article=9744152

Dekka

Just try me..
I think the teen acted like a spoiled brat.. but then to me the dad isn't much better. I say its a fail all round.

I got from him that you can take a valuable piece of equipment and destroy it if someone pisses you off/humiliates you. I think a better lesson would have been to wipe it and donate it to the needy. That would send a much better message about responsibility and respect.

I get that kids should act with respect to their kids but how about that dad respecting his daughter?

I think the teen acted like a spoiled brat.. but then to me the dad isn't much better. I say its a fail all round.

I got from him that you can take a valuable piece of equipment and destroy it if someone pisses you off/humiliates you. I think a better lesson would have been to wipe it and donate it to the needy. That would send a much better message about responsibility and respect.

I get that kids should act with respect to their kids but how about that dad respecting his daughter?
Exactly!!!

You dont automatically get respect as a parent IMO...you dont get a free pass. You still have to earn it. Yes, this girl is a brat...so is the dad. Big shocker where she got it from.

~Tucker&Me~

Ok, I will be in the minority.

Saw this all day on FB and it really really upsets me. Yes, the daughter was acting like an immature brat (as teen are wont to do) So the dad's equally immature rant is somehow ok? How in the world is his rant supposed to fix anything? If a teenager is having feelings like that instead of mocking and assuming entitlement issues, perhaps get to the ROOT of the problem instead of proving you are a complete hypocrite. Dont you dare curse (as he curses) Dont you dare vent to your friends about family (while I freaking make a youtube video of myself doing it) You better learn the value of money (while I shot your laptop...no thats not a complete waste of money at all...talk about respecting money).

I understand the father's anger but think his reaction is completely ridiculous and shows exactly where his daughter got this behavior.

She is a teen, they rant, they rave, everything is the end of the world. They overreact. How about be a parent and act mature. Dont react back and feed it.

And no, I am sorry, I think it is ridiculous to demand a 15 year old get a job. He wasnt saying hey, you want all these extras you need to work (which is reasonable) but more of you are 15 and you better have a **** job.

I am sorry, but I find this father's reaction sickening.
I think its pretty pathetic.

Let's teach my kid to be grown up by acting like a child.

100% agree...

The daughter was a brat, but it's not hard to see where she got it from. Publicly humiliating your child is not the answer when they act out. From the sounds of it, she was blowing off steam, which is pretty typical of a teenager in the annoying rebellious phase. Instead of sitting her down and explaining how that made him feel, taking away her privileges (including computer), and giving her abused belongings to charity until she grew up, he damaged what little relationship was there in the first place. He had the opportunity to basically say "Look, you acted very selfishly and childishly. Now I am going to address this as an adult and show you how mature, adults handle problems between one another".

So I guess I will join the minority and say that I think his response to her being a typical jerk teenager was atrocious.

Xandra

I thought it was kinda funny. Might teach her a lesson re:don't be OPENLY disrespectful. Long term she might form better habits and then learn to value them. But will she learn from that specifically? Kinda doubt it. And if she sees what we're seeing, she'll basically just think he's a hypocritical jerk off.

As far as entertaining me, lol yeah a bit (not the funniest thing I've seen today). But as far as being what I would consider good effective parenting, not really. Of course it might work on her, who knows. I just kinda doubt it.

(and I also hate to see anything with value destroyed).

Members online

No members online now.