Non-shedding or longhaired breeds

milos_mommy

Bouv, or mayyyyybe a Black Russian Terrier, but those are getting into pretty guardy breeds.

A briard?

Rescue doodle?!?

Although, I agree with Dizzy. If they're health tested and proven dogs from a responsible breeder, I don't think it's awful to buy a 'doodle" mix...especially a labradoodle. They were bred to fill a niche. If you didn't want to go through a breed, you could always look into getting a washout guide dog - I'm not sure if the guide dog associations ever place pups in pet homes without giving them a shot at training (or if you're looking for a puppy).

The aussies I've known have shed pretty heavily (and not all of them were 50 lbs +). The dobes I've known have not been heavy/bothersome shedders at all, if they're fed a decent diet and bathed 3 times a year.

Also: the doodles that shed badly are the ones with the fluffiest coats. The wirey or curlier coated ones don't typically shed much, but the ones with the soft, wavy coats usually do.

Mina

BRT - "the black watch"
Bouv, or mayyyyybe a Black Russian Terrier, but those are getting into pretty guardy breeds.
Both gr8 breeds, milos, but,
general appearances aside,
there's a world of difference in
personality, temperament and drives
between them ... very, very different!

Oh, and as far as being "guardy" is concerned,
unless you're looking into solely working lines,
they're worlds apart.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I've met many many many goldendoodles through work and right now my suggestions would be one of them but from the RIGHT breeder. (one that can provide a wealth of owners of their pups who are happy with their dogs)

I have seen doodles go very very right and on the other hand... ughhh

Aleron

If Doodles appeal to you the most, get a Doodle.

PWDs really do sound like a potential match but they can definitely be loud. A large male can be right about at your minimum. The biggest male I know weighs I think 75lbs.

CaliTerp07

I am following this thread with interest. Your wish list is my wish list (except I want a dog a fraction of the size: 20-30 pounds is perfect to me.) I really lucked out with Lucy, she has the absolute perfect coat. Long, soft, fluffy, and while she sheds it's always in "clumps". I find dust bunnies of hair in the corners, behind the sofa, or after she rolls around on the carpet, but she can lay in my lap and I can pet her for hours and not have a single hair in my hand.

Xandra

Nice goldendoodles are super adorable
(e.g.
), and like mentioned you can find respectable breeds nowadays. I bet they're pretty pricey though, and the few I've met aren't what I'd call sharp at all. A young adult breeder rehome might be good, so you know the temp and coat beforehand.

I'll second the Bouvier suggestion. We had Bouv's for 20 years ... gr8 dogs! Assuming we're speaking of a decently-bred, well-socialized, and decently trained dog:

"I want a non-shedder"
- You'll need to cut the hair, or have it cut. But a well-groomed Bouvier sheds about as much as a Poodle (in our experience).

"I want a clingy velcro dog."
- Your Bouv will always want to be with you or, at least, will want to know where you are at any given time. If he's not sitting at your feet, he'll be lying down, right outside your door.

"I want a dog who is medium to high energy who will keep me active."
Couch potato inside, but always ready for any kind of action.

"I want a dog who is a little sharp. Not all happy and doofy and "yay I love everyone." Not necessarily protective ..."
- Watch your lines, but it should be easy getting exactly that. These guys are very tolerant, but are very selective when it comes to sharing affection with outsiders. As far as protectiveness is concerned, in general, the breed has softened over the years. If protection is important, again, choose your lines carefully.

"I preferably not want a breed that is known to be excessively barky."
- They only bark when necessary.

"I want a Dobe, and that's what I keep coming back to. Every time I think about it, that's the perfect temperament."
- Another gr8 breed (we had a Dobe, too). If you don't like shedding, you might not like the Dobe. Those needle-like hairs get in everything!!! These days, health is also a big concern. That aside, generally speaking, I found the Dobe to be overly velcro-y to the point of being needy; the Bouvier tends to be (IMO) a better balanced dog, overall.

Every "bad" Bouvier I've ever come across has been a result of poor breeding and/or poor owners.

I'm not on this forum too often, but if you need any more information about the breed, feel free to PM me.

Good luck in your search!
Oh thanks for your post, Bouvs and Standard Poodles are the two breeds I am highly considering for NextDog, when we loose Gage. I am leaning more towards Bouvs because its way easier to find breeders that work their lines.

noludoru

Bored Now.
Sending you a PM Noludoru. There is a wonderful rescue in your area.
In CO now. :(

An Affie is an awesome idea, and I haven't ruled out them or Zois. It's just a lot of money to pay for a dog that I'm not 100% sold on. I'm fine with the grooming requirements - every two weeks is already what I prefer. I realize that baths and grooming will take more time with an Affie than they do with Middie, but I have all the tools.

I think the Afghans have the temperament I truly love.. the cat-titude. . . the "**** you, the world revolves around me" kind of attitude. I love that. It's why I love Rumor so much. :rofl1:

Although, I agree with Dizzy. If they're health tested and proven dogs from a responsible breeder, I don't think it's awful to buy a 'doodle" mix...especially a labradoodle. They were bred to fill a niche. If you didn't want to go through a breed, you could always look into getting a washout guide dog - I'm not sure if the guide dog associations ever place pups in pet homes without giving them a shot at training (or if you're looking for a puppy).

The aussies I've known have shed pretty heavily (and not all of them were 50 lbs +). The dobes I've known have not been heavy/bothersome shedders at all, if they're fed a decent diet and bathed 3 times a year.

Also: the doodles that shed badly are the ones with the fluffiest coats. The wirey or curlier coated ones don't typically shed much, but the ones with the soft, wavy coats usually do.
Maybe. I don't want a puppy, though - puppies are a PITA and I don't know how big they are, what coat type they'll have, or how they will mature. I can deal with a young adult if I have to, but an adult from rescue is ideal. I'd take a puppy if it were the right situation and the right breeder, but it is NOT what I am looking for.

That's part of my hesitation about a rarer breed. . . very hard to find that way. And hard to find an adult breeder rehome.

Aussies definitely shed, but I can deal with the shedding. Long hair is easy for me to manage and clean up. Barking I can't deal with. Middie has almost completely stopped barking now that we're not living with Marley, and if I have to go back to barkbarkbark at any point in the future I will kill the dog or myself.

If Doodles appeal to you the most, get a Doodle.

PWDs really do sound like a potential match but they can definitely be loud. A large male can be right about at your minimum. The biggest male I know weighs I think 75lbs.
All the ones I met were 45lbs. Middie-sized. I didn't know they came that big. LOVED them but they seemed kind of doofy and sweet.

I am following this thread with interest. Your wish list is my wish list (except I want a dog a fraction of the size: 20-30 pounds is perfect to me.) I really lucked out with Lucy, she has the absolute perfect coat. Long, soft, fluffy, and while she sheds it's always in "clumps". I find dust bunnies of hair in the corners, behind the sofa, or after she rolls around on the carpet, but she can lay in my lap and I can pet her for hours and not have a single hair in my hand.
When I find one I will shrink it and send you the clone. :rofl1:

Lucy's coat is amazing, though. I completely agree. I would take a Lucy coat.

What about something like a Bouvier? I admittedly know very little about them, but the two that used to be in my agility class had temperaments similar to what you're describing.
Me, too. Around here at least maybe 25% or so do have a wiry, terrier-like coat, though.
True. I have seen HORRIFYING doodle coats. Yet another reason I lean towards an adult.

Why? I'm mean.... If it was bred by someone who health tested their dogs, researched their breedings, bred few and far between etc etc etc, ticked all the boxes.., then why not.

I also agree with you on the wire coat feeling.... I don't like the feel of them, they always feel dirty, no matter what. I like the look a lot, but actually don't like the feel, and think they look smelly!
THANK YOU. I am so glad I'm not the only one who feels that way! The texture freaks me out.

And as to the doodles, well, if I could find a good breeder I'd consider it, but I want an adult.

Doodles are very alert-y, would they bite? I don't know but I lean towards probably.
I don't need a dog who will bite, though. Alert barking is fine. I just want a dog with a sharper temperament in general - something that matches mine. Not Belgian or Fila sharp..

milos_mommy

If you're going for an adult rescue, I'd look into a goldendoodle or labradoodle in rescue. They're incredibly plentiful, and compared to most "designer dogs" have few health issues.

Also, IME labradoodles can be quite sharp. Not like a dobe, but way more so than most labs. the goldendoodles...not so much.

English Shepherd?
Similar coat to an aussie, but I think the ES has 'less'. Their coats just tend to be less poofy. You can also find larger males. The breeder I got Hudson from prefers her males to be 65+. Hudson isn't super barky either, like when he gets excited playing fetch, or tug, or whatever, his default response is not to bark. He was just barking at a runner going by the house, but he stopped as soon as she was out of sight.

Mina

BRT - "the black watch"
Oh thanks for your post, Bouvs and Standard Poodles are the two breeds I am highly considering for NextDog, when we loose Gage. I am leaning more towards Bouvs because its way easier to find breeders that work their lines.
Wow ...
it's rare to find someone for whom
both the S.Poodle and Bouvier are appealing!?! :)

I've also, always liked the S.Poodles "on paper,"
and really thought we'd eventually get one.

I took a long, long, hard look at the breed,
researched them quite extensively,
and even managed to find a good breeder
(not easy to do, especially with Poodles!).

But, once I got past that impressively long list of health issues:

1) I realized that, in all these years,
I've never come across even one, single individual
whose temperament and personality I actually liked,

2) Although aesthetics are far down on our list of priorities,
both of us still have a real problem with the appearance ...
and this, regardless of the hair style.

3) And finally, after taking care of a friend's Standard for a week who,
she had proclaimed, was "almost human" in its intelligence :rofl1:
("intelligence" is, indeed, relative :D) ) ...

I finally came to realize that, "three strikes and yer out" ...
For us, a Poodle will never happen.
Occasionally, I've recommended the breed to others,
and it might be a good choice for the OP, but not for us.

YodelDogs

I want a non-shedder, ideally.
Have you considered a Basenji? There is almost no grooming involved, they have no odor, and shedding is barely noticable.

I want a clingy velcro dog.
You will never be able to go to the bathroom alone again.

I want a dog who is medium to high energy who will keep me active.
Basenjis are energizer bunnies.

I want a dog who is a little sharp. Not all happy and doofy and "yay I love everyone."
Well socialized Basenjis are very friendly to people but many grow up to be less demonstrative to strangers.

I preferably not want a breed that is known to be excessively barky.
No barking but not neccesarily quiet all the time either.

Basenjis can be complicated dogs to live with at times but I can't imagine my life without hem.

Wow ...
it's rare to find someone for whom
both the S.Poodle and Bouvier are appealing!?! :)

I've also, always liked the S.Poodles "on paper,"
and really thought we'd eventually get one.

I took a long, long, hard look at the breed,
researched them quite extensively,
and even managed to find a good breeder
(not easy to do, especially with Poodles!).

But, once I got past that impressively long list of health issues:

1) I realized that, in all these years,
I've never come across even one, single individual
whose temperament and personality I actually liked,

2) Although aesthetics are far down on our list of priorities,
both of us still have a real problem with the appearance ...
and this, regardless of the hair style.

3) And finally, after taking care of a friend's Standard for a week who,
she had proclaimed, was "almost human" in its intelligence :rofl1:
("intelligence" is, indeed, relative :D) ) ...

I finally came to realize that, "three strikes and yer out" ...
For us, a Poodle will never happen.
Occasionally, I've recommended the breed to others,
and it might be a good choice for the OP, but not for us.

I love the softness of the poodle, and the sharpness of the Bouvs! I would even consider owning one of each at the same time, I think they could compliment each other, at least for my family.

And now back to your regularly scheduled thread...sorry for the hijack!

milos_mommy

Just wondering what your "Velcro dog" experience with basenjis is? I've definitely never heard them described like that. I've always known them to be a fairly independent breed, on the primitive side of the more popular pet breeds. The ones I've worked with haven't seen very Velcro at all, but I didn't spend much time with them at home. They were never overly affectionate with me or their owners, at least not while I was around.

They also don't reach 65 lbs.

Romy

Taxiderpy
You need a zoi. :p

Velcroness is an individual dog thing. Strider isn't velcro. Kaia. Oh my gosh. I can't even go into the showgrounds when she's going to be shown or she can smell me and it totally messes her up in the ring because she's just standing their air scenting and looking around frantically. Her dad is the same way with his people.

The only other drawback is the shedding. If you have a spayed female or an intact or neutered male it shouldn't be a big issue. They have no undercoat and long silky hair. Yeah there's some shedding, but it behaves like human hair and vacuums up easily.

Mine almost never get brushed except as a bonding activity. :eek: They don't really need it. Once every few weeks. They don't have a doggy odor. Strider only smells if he has an allergic reaction. I can actually smell when he has fleas because of it. Usually if they get wet they'll just smell like whatever shampoo you used on them last.

YodelDogs

Just wondering what your "Velcro dog" experience with basenjis is? I've definitely never heard them described like that. I've always known them to be a fairly independent breed, on the primitive side of the more popular pet breeds. The ones I've worked with haven't seen very Velcro at all, but I didn't spend much time with them at home. They were never overly affectionate with me or their owners, at least not while I was around.

I'm sorry for the delayed response. I don't visit here as often as I used to. In the past, it was common for Basenjis to be aloof, independent, and sharp tempered but breeders have done an excellent job in turning this around. A well-bred, well-socialized Basenji is eager to meet everyone. Many adults will retain this attitude at maturity but others will choose to be affectionate with their owners but selective towards strangers.

There is a wide range of personalities within the Basenji breed. As far as Velcro, it is not unusual for rescues to have separation anxiety. They want to be with their owners constantly and won't let you out of their sight, indoors or out. ("They stick to you like Velcro.") A well-socialized, properly exercised adult will want to lay on or next to you on the couch and sleep in bed with you. They follow you around the house because they are curious about what you are doing. Not really "Velcro" but very companionable. Outdoors is a different story. Use a leash, period.

They also don't reach 65 lbs.

I did not see that in the first post and missed it later in the thread. Sorry about that. Basenjis are only about 20-25 pounds so that boots them out. ;)

milos_mommy

Thanks for the response! That's good to know. The basenjis I've known (only a handful) have all been very aloof with strangers, and not particularly affectionate towards their owners, but I don't know how they acted typically in the home.

They're definitely becoming quite popular city dogs, and I think were much more rare 10+ years ago, so it does make sense they're being bred to be more pet-like.

Staff online

Members online