Next Dog Breed?

I've heard that English Shepherds aren't great dog park dogs, they tend to be bossy, if that's what you're looking for. Hudson is great with other dogs currently, but can get a bit annoyed when other dogs are too loud.
I've heard about the bossiness towards other dogs in English Shepherds. Is it like a "This is How Things Should Be" kind of bossy? If so, then my current dog, Crystal, is similar to that. If you are playing too rough or loud, you'll be sure to have her there referee-ing. ;)

Zhucca

Lab Love
I feel biased but would you be interested in a lab? I'd say they fit all your requirements. Some labs shed more than others. Duke sheds moderately, and my other lab sheds barely at all.

Labrador Retrievers are often over looked by people in the dog fancy because of how common they are, which is a shame. There's also a ton of bad breeders too but that's the same for german shepherds as well. If you find a good breeders, labs would be a great choice.

I've heard about the bossiness towards other dogs in English Shepherds. Is it like a "This is How Things Should Be" kind of bossy? If so, then my current dog, Crystal, is similar to that. If you are playing too rough or loud, you'll be sure to have her there referee-ing. ;)
I have minimal experience since Hudson is really the only ES I've been around extensively, but he certainly did not approve of all the barking going on when we were visiting my sister's dog.

I feel biased but would you be interested in a lab? I'd say they fit all your requirements. Some labs shed more than others. Duke sheds moderately, and my other lab sheds barely at all.

Labrador Retrievers are often over looked by people in the dog fancy because of how common they are, which is a shame. There's also a ton of bad breeders too but that's the same for german shepherds as well. If you find a good breeders, labs would be a great choice.
Parents say no Labs. They don't really have a real reason other than my father finds them 'unattractive and fat' (which I definitely disagree with, and the overweight part is easily prevented.) But then again, my parents think all Pitties are viscous creatures, so no convincing them there...

Zhucca

Lab Love
Parents say no Labs. They don't really have a real reason other than my father finds them 'unattractive and fat' (which I definitely disagree with, and the overweight part is easily prevented.) But then again, my parents think all Pitties are viscous creatures, so no convincing them there...

Haha, well, some labs are... unattractive and fat. Just gotta find a breeder with a type. But, labs and pointers were my only suggestions. lol

Haha, well, some labs are... unattractive and fat. Just gotta find a breeder with a type. But, labs and pointers were my only suggestions. lol
I would have totally looked into field bred labs if my parents weren't so stereotypical of certain dog breeds, lol.

milos_mommy

In my experience smooth collies shed more than rough collies, and german shepherds shed WAY more than rough collies (if the rough collies are brushed regularly).

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
Refereeing is a great term for it, lol. Some ES are more dog tolerant and DP suited than others, but if you're banking on having a DP dog and the DP being a large source of daily stimulation, an ES puppy would not be my first suggestion. They do seem to fit your list quite well though!

Eta: dog events should be no problem assuming your dog is stable and socialized! Its really just the off leash chaos of a lot of dog parks that can drive an ES nuts. Quinn is wonderful at big events, does not mind a crowd, and loves meeting people. Due to my own mistakes she is DR, but to the point now where she will only react if a dog comes at her face. I just keep an eye out for anyone approaching with a mismannered dog and warn them. We haven't had a snark incident in ages.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Refereeing is a great term for it, lol. Some ES are more dog tolerant and DP suited than others, but if you're banking on having a DP dog and the DP being a large source of daily stimulation, an ES puppy would not be my first suggestion. They do seem to fit your list quite well though!

Eta: dog events should be no problem assuming your dog is stable and socialized! Its really just the off leash chaos of a lot of dog parks that can drive an ES nuts. Quinn is wonderful at big events, does not mind a crowd, and loves meeting people. Due to my own mistakes she is DR, but to the point now where she will only react if a dog comes at her face. I just keep an eye out for anyone approaching with a mismannered dog and warn them. We haven't had a snark incident in ages.
Here we call it the fun police :p

That's my only contribution.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Ozzy is the fun police here lmao. If ANY ONE is having a good rowdy time, he's RIGHT there in their faces barking at them.

At the daycare I worked at we called dogs like that "yard cops" lol

Thanks for the info everyone :)

The Japanese Akita has a tendency to be a dominant dog who may expect other dogs to be submissive. If they fail to live up to the Akita's expectations, incidents can happen.
I looked up Akita information and read this, and it worries me a bit. This is due to Crystal being... well, being a referee. LOL. She likes to be the one in charge of the others, and although she will allow dogs to referee her, she won't allow them to be too pushy. So I'm wondering how they would do with another pushy/fun police type dog?

MicksMom

Have you looked into the Akita Inu or Shiba Inu?...
Honestly, I don't think either breed would be a good choice. Akitas can be pretty aggressive towards other animals. In fact, the breed standard says they may be intolerant of other dogs, particularly of the same sex.
Temperament: Alert and responsive, dignified and courageous. Akitas may be intolerant of other dogs, particularly of the same sex.

Shibas aren't very big- only about 25 pounds. The standard says they can be aggressive towards other dogs, too.
Temperament:A spirited boldness, a good nature, and an unaffected forthrightness, which together yield dignity and natural beauty. The Shiba has an independent nature and can be reserved toward strangers but is loyal and affectionate to those who earn his respect. At times aggressive toward other dogs, the Shiba is always under the control of his handler. Any aggression toward handler or judge or any overt shyness must be severely penalized.

Honestly, I don't think either breed would be a good choice. Akitas can be pretty aggressive towards other animals. In fact, the breed standard says they may be intolerant of other dogs, particularly of the same sex.
Temperament: Alert and responsive, dignified and courageous. Akitas may be intolerant of other dogs, particularly of the same sex.

Shibas aren't very big- only about 25 pounds. The standard says they can be aggressive towards other dogs, too.
Temperament:A spirited boldness, a good nature, and an unaffected forthrightness, which together yield dignity and natural beauty. The Shiba has an independent nature and can be reserved toward strangers but is loyal and affectionate to those who earn his respect. At times aggressive toward other dogs, the Shiba is always under the control of his handler. Any aggression toward handler or judge or any overt shyness must be severely penalized.
I felt like I thought Shibas were small.

Ah, well then Shibas and Akitas are out. Even if they are quite the beautiful dogs. :)

milos_mommy

Akitas and Shiba Inus fit very, very few of the requirements you're looking for. (In fact I think the only one they really fit is the coat maintenance).

MicksMom

...Ah, well then Shibas and Akitas are out. Even if they are quite the beautiful dogs. :)
I still think a Lab would fit what you want. Maybe if your parents met a few that weren't "whiskey barrels on legs", they'd realize all Labs aren't fat. Can't say much for the unattractive part- I've met a few that were "butt ugly", and others that were gorgeous. it might take some looking, but you can find Labs that are a nice combo of field and bench lines (I have seen extrememes in both).

milos_mommy

I was going to suggest a vizsla, but when you said you didn't like the look of pointers, I didn't mention it. But if you do decide to consider some gundogs, I think a vizsla very much fits your wants.

I was going to suggest a vizsla, but when you said you didn't like the look of pointers, I didn't mention it. But if you do decide to consider some gundogs, I think a vizsla very much fits your wants.
Again, I absolutely love Vizsla's but not exactly how they look. I feel so picky, ahaha. But then again I swore all Pugs were ugly until I met the one down the street, then I found them absolutely adorable. :p

I still think a Lab would fit what you want. Maybe if your parents met a few that weren't "whiskey barrels on legs", they'd realize all Labs aren't fat. Can't say much for the unattractive part- I've met a few that were "butt ugly", and others that were gorgeous. it might take some looking, but you can find Labs that are a nice combo of field and bench lines (I have seen extrememes in both).
I think that might change their mind, although I'm unsure. I know when my parents think of Labs they automatically think of the average overweight lab down the block. :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.