@#&*$@ Mosquitoes

We've had a cool, rainy summer so far and the mosquito population has exploded. To make things worse I have to leave the house for work by 7:00AM so am walking Leo between 6:00 and 7:00. He is being eaten alive.

Is there anything that is safe to use on your dog as mosquito repellant? My vet says there isn't. I use a product that contains deet on myself.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Skin so soft by Avon i have heard works on dogs. I haven't tried it.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Advantix supposedly repels mosquitos, I haven't tried it though.

Also there are a ton of natural repellents you can try - lemongrass, thyme, rosemary being three that come to mind. A google search for natural mosquito repellents should have more info.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
advantix does seem to work for ours.

but heres something that works better.
fill a spray bottle to about 3" below the full point wiht 50% rubbing alchohol and 50% water.
add 3-5 drops of CATNIP oil, then add any or a combination of lemon grass, verbena, lemon thyme, citronella, lavender, peppermint, teatree, rosemary oils. (you want to add 1 drop of each oil and then smell it, you want it to smell of the oils but not be so strong it makes your eyes water lol.)
before going out, a quick spritz all over and you shoudl be good to go.

Catnip oil has OVER 3 times the effectiveness of deet at repelling insects.
its not cheap BUT you dont need to use alot at once for it to be effective. and its all natural and safe to use on the dogs, and on yourself.
(i use 5 drops catnip oil, with 5 drops lemongrass, 5 drops citronella, and 10 drops lavender on the cresties before we go out in the evening or when we go camping. i use it on myself too!)

feeding a combination of brewers yeast and garlic also help,
apple cider vinigar (if you can get them to drink it) also works well, but mine wont touch the stuff.

Smkie: I've used Skin-so-soft on horses to keep off flies and deer flies, but it doesn't seem to work against mosquitos.

Corgiepower: Advantix does repell them, but only for about a week then it's three weeks of being bitten before the next dose.
Going the natural route didn't even cross my mind :eek: Thanks for the suggestion.

FoxyWench: I didn't even know you could buy Catnip oil. I'm going to look for it.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions.

H

happyguy

My vet says there isn't.
If your vet says there is no solution, then we must agree with him or her as he or she is in the best place to tell us the truth. however, i want you to look at your environment. Make sure it is clean always and try to keep your dog indoor always if possible.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I use one of two products; Mutt Mist from Prarieland Herbs or Tick/Flying Insect spritz from Rara Avis Herbs.

Members online

No members online now.