Show dog neutered at 2 1/4 yrs - is there cause for concern?

My daughter in law and son purchased an Airedale from a breeder and he is intact. They will be having him fixed in the next few weeks if they decide to keep him. The breeder wanted to find him a good home as he was unhappy as a show dog and the handler didn't want to take him in the ring any more as he made her look bad. While out walking him today we came across a gentleman who said he should be fixed as soon as possible as sometimes males get confused and sometimes go a little crazy afterward if they aren't fixed while still young. My question: is the age of this dog getting fixed now cause for concern? He is very sweet but doesn't know how to play or have any fun right now and of course doesn't realize this is his new home and is probably waiting for the breeder to pick him up.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
Ummm...no. It doesn't make them crazy. If the dog has bred bitches before he may always be more of a "man" than a boy...but that'd be evident living with him for any length of time already.

He'll be himself...without testicles and is actually past all the growth issues that can happen when neutered early.

Thanks for the reply. It really threw us off when he said that - no one had mentioned anything like that. He has bred bitches. They've only had him since Saturday but he hasn't been humping or shown any bad behavior at all. Just a very sweet boy who doesn't seem to have been played with or had much fun. He's tried mounting Molly but she wants no part of it. When she's with him she's constantly trying to get him to play but so far nothing. I'm arranging some one on one sessions with the trainer I take Molly to as my daughter in law will be enrolling him in obedience classes in Jan. I think the trainer will be able to give my daughter in law a good assessment of him and provide skills prior to the lessons. May as well get off to a good start.

bubbatd

Back when ... none of my males were neutered , lived with intact females , were through obedience etc . My one male , Rufus , was neutered at 12 as he was showing signs of testical cancer ......He lived 5 more years . Yes, I'm in favor of neutering today if there are " issues " and really some breeds are more ' matcho " than others . Plus . too many don't watch their dogs !!! It takes effort to watch for a " whoops " as both sexes want to mate when things are ripe ....even from down the street . !!! I'm sure that you'll be quided . No reason to be intact if you don't plan to breed or show . The dogs don't care and it's peace of mind for you .

bubbatd: He will definitely be fixed if they keep him as they want a pet only, also the breeder has made this a stipulation. They should know for sure if they are keeping him in the next few days - he's a very nice boy - a little timid right now not knowing why he's in a new home with a new family - poor guy. He's enjoying being taken for walks by the ocean and creek and sniffing all the wild scents - lots of tail wagging going on. He just needs some more happy experiences to get him comfortable and relaxed.

bubbatd

In your DIL's case , I agree .......he should be neutered . I re-read your OP and having family owned dogs adopted after being neutered I see no problems . EliN's Hunter came in the day after ,,, ( 2 years ?? ) Ollie was neutered maybe 5 months before I got him ...1 1/2 or 2 ??? I've only known 2 Airedales ..../ both male family dogs and not fixed !!! Had they been fixed , they may have been nicer dogs .

Members online

No members online now.