A question for/about breeders

Snark

Mutts to you
Just curious... If someone decides a dog they bought from a breeder isn't 'right' for them, does the breeder reimburse the selling price, or just take the dog back?

The reason I'm asking is I received an email about a family looking to rehome their 20 month old GSD bitch. They said she was too high drive and with 4 kids, they didn't have time for her. Turns out they're selling her and want something close to the price they paid for her ($1600). I just thought it was odd they didn't return her to the breeder - isn't that a usual clause with responsible breeders?

I guess I can see the people wanting to recoup some of the cost of the dog but it makes me wonder if they got her from a reputable person and if she'll wind up with health/soundness issues later in life.

MicksMom

Just going from chatter on a breeders forum here- most breeders don't refund the purchase price in a case like that. They do if the puppy is being returned within a certain amount of time because of medical issues, tho.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I know all responsible breeders WILL take the dog back, but I've never really heard of refunds.
With cases of hereditary problems or something, I've heard of them letting you have a puppy from another litter or refunding purchase price to pay for vet bills, that kind of thing... but it's not really a "doesn't work out, get money back" kind of situation. That would put breeders in a really weird position of having to dish out that much cash every-time a dog didn't work out for no fault of the dog itself.

What you probably have here is a person who A) Didn't buy from a responsible breeder and just wants to rehome B) DID buy from a responsible breeder and is ashamed to tell said breeder and have to return the dog (and not get any money back)

Snark

Mutts to you
Oops, made a mistake - GSD is 20 weeks old (email was on my computer at work), not 20 months old.

Thanks, MicksMom.

Don't breeders usually still want their dog back? Just thinking if a buyer signs a contract, aren't they legally bound to return the dog...?

I've only known one person who was a breeder (she bred Olde English Bulldogges) and she'd mentioned taking back a bitch after 3 years because the owners got a divorce and the wife, who wanted to keep the dog, couldn't, because of financial difficulties and living situation. She didn't say anything about money changing hands but I got the impression she was holding the dog until the wife could get back on her feet.

Jynx

The breeders I have dealt with, and know, usually state in their contract that the dog must be returned to them for ANY reason at ANY time. They have first rights of refusal as well. Money is usually not refunded, but in some cases I've seen breeder return purchase price or part of.

I agree with Fran, either they are not telling the breeder (which would be breaking the contract if it stated so), or they DID tell the breeder and breeder said 'sell her' or they are just outright selling her.

For 1600$ you can buy a nice puppy from a reputable breeder. Unless this dog was trained/titled in something, there's no way I'd spend 1600$ for a 20 month old because they can't handle her.

I'd find out more about the 'breeder specifics'.

Just saw your 20 weeks, omg, she's a freakin puppy, guess they shouldn't own this breed if they can't handle her..Again, I'd find out 'where' this puppy came from

Aleron

To me, it depends on the situation. I think with a young pup, there should be a refund as long as the pup is healthy upon return and what not. With an adult dog, it depends. For me, I'd try to work with the owner to find a buyer if the dog could stay with them and it was possible. I did this with Cherry's brother but ended up taking him back when we couldn't find the right person and the owner's time ran out. If I have to take an adult dog back, a refund would depend on if I could find a home willing to pay for the dog. If it's a show/performance quality health tested dog who is well trained, socialized, healthy, etc and I was able to sell them, I would offer at least some money back to the former owner. If I have to take a dog back, keep them here for who knows how long and then give them to the right home or "sell" them for what it costs to spay them , then I wouldn't be inclined to give the former owner a refund. Of course, if I had to refund to keep the dog from a bad situation I would but hopefully, I would not be dealing with buyers like that. This is all pretty much spelled out in my contract too, including working with the owner to find an appropriate home as a possibility.

Katalin's breeder accepted a adult return and re-homed him - she didn't refund the price of the dog though. It was just a owner who couldn't handle a really pushy teenage male LGD. In another case a puppy was returned at a fairly young age (15 weeks) after the owners housing situation suddenly took a turn for the worse - I believe she said she refunded that. Or in cases of hereditary health issues - an exchange or refund can be arranged. But indeed, refunds are not commonly heard of.

~Tucker&Me~

I think expecting a refund, especially as the dog gets older, is asking too much of breeders. Like someone else mentioned, unless the dog has been actively shown and trained in something (think sport of work) not many people will pay top dollar for an older puppy. Also the breeder would likely have to support the dog financially and in their home for a while until the right owner pops up, which could take weeks or even months... So I think it is asking a lot to expect a breeder to refund unless the pup was returned almost immediately.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Refund for a change of heart is wrong, imo.

Refund for a health issue is normal.

Return of pup is normal.

I have the right to sell both of my
Malinois but both could go back to their breeders if need be.

Dekka

Just try me..
Yes refund if something is wrong with the puppy. Health or serious temperament issues sort of thing.

No if its just a meh we don't like it.

Now I do know of one breeder that would tell people if she could sell the young adult she would pass along the money to the previous owners as reimbursement. But if she had to place the puppy for free to get it the right home, then there was no compensation.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
In my callus opinion this is just one of the hazards of buying a puppy, if it doesn't work out you're out some money. It's nice if a breeder will work with you but should not be expected as such.

Next time go for an adult dog with a set temperament and known drive.

Paige

Let it be
Plus they already invested that money into breeding the mama and taking care of the pups, no? Why do they owe you anything? You bought puppy. Pup didn't work out due to no fault of the breeder or the dog? You are out the coin then.

Gypsydals

Sometimes they will, sometimes they won't. I know Ivans breeder will not refund the money for a change of heart, especially if said dog is older. Not only is it harder to find homes for the non puppy guys, but most times they come back with problems of some sort. Such as now, she has a year old male returned to her 2 weeks ago, in horrible shape. Nails starting to curl under, 75 pounds :yikes: ( on a dog that is supposed to be 50 MAX), no manners whats so ever, and a UTI. So before she can place him, she has to get his weight down, his nails and UTI taken care of and get some basic manners into him. Most times she places her older(non puppy) dogs for very little or any at all.

You would think with that kind of money exchanging hands you would be darn certain that is what you are looking for.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
I've seen pups of varying ages up to adults on breeder websites for rehome. Sometimes the prices listed are more like an adoption.. $100ish up to what I wouldn't pay for someone's oops.. $1000 or more for year old or more dogs. Often it says that the family will get the price back on the dog..

Family's mistake. I wouldn't as a breeder be reimbursing the purchase price because you picked the wrong dog. It's not a pair of shoes you oopsed on.. I do think it's odd they are selling the dog, and not returning it to the breeder.

Red Chrome

Just curious... If someone decides a dog they bought from a breeder isn't 'right' for them, does the breeder reimburse the selling price, or just take the dog back?

The reason I'm asking is I received an email about a family looking to rehome their 20 month old GSD bitch. They said she was too high drive and with 4 kids, they didn't have time for her. Turns out they're selling her and want something close to the price they paid for her ($1600). I just thought it was odd they didn't return her to the breeder - isn't that a usual clause with responsible breeders?

I guess I can see the people wanting to recoup some of the cost of the dog but it makes me wonder if they got her from a reputable person and if she'll wind up with health/soundness issues later in life.
Every situation is different. Typically, you take the dog back but do NOT refund the money, that is the way my contract is written. My contract states that I must be notified of intent to sell and given the chance to take the dog back. In that case I do NOT refund the monies if I decide to take the dog back. If I decide they can sell it, then that is all them.

I recently got a dog back from my litter, I actually DID pay to get her back. I actually paid double the original purchase price for her. At the end of the day, I could have enforced my contract through the courts but in the meantime, the owner could have sold her to someone else without me knowing. He turned out to be a complete jackass and I didn't want my dog's progeny going somewhere I didn't know. SO, I paid to get her back. At the end of the day, my sole concern is the welfare of my dog's progeny and I will do what it takes to make sure they are safe,happy and healthy.

Refund for a change of heart is wrong, imo.

Refund for a health issue is normal.

Return of pup is normal.

I have the right to sell both of my
Malinois but both could go back to their breeders if need be.
This is a good guide. I offer full refunds for health issues or a 1/2 refund and option of a future puppy...they have to be willing to wait though.

In my callus opinion this is just one of the hazards of buying a puppy, if it doesn't work out you're out some money. It's nice if a breeder will work with you but should not be expected as such.

Next time go for an adult dog with a set temperament and known drive.
That's not callous in my opinion. That is the truth. This isn't rent a puppy, you don't get to rent the puppy till the work gets hard then return it and expect a refund. I have seen this happen despite the best placements being done. People suck and people lie and people cheat and above all....some people think "Oh, it's just a dog." No matter how hard a breeder tries for good placements, nothing is guaranteed.

ETA- The puppy that I bought back is in a new awesome home. I placed her there for nothing. Not because they couldn't pay for her or didn't want too but in my mind it's not about the money, it's about good homes.

monkeys23

I agree with all that RC and Adrianne have said. IMO a reputable breeder should attempt to get the dog back because like RC said people do crappy things and if the breeder isn't going to be the dog's advocate who is?

ETA- The puppy that I bought back is in a new awesome home. I placed her there for nothing. Not because they couldn't pay for her or didn't want too but in my mind it's not about the money, it's about good homes.
Thats awesome! Are they doing anything cool with her?

OwnedByBCs

Will Creep For Sheep
1. I would not offer a refund in the case of someone saying "this dog is too high drive" and "we don't have time for it".

2. If any of my puppy buyers tried to sell their puppies from me, you best believe that I would take legal action as in my contract it states that if the owners can no longer care for their puppy it comes back to me.

3. If this GSD's breeder really doesn't care where this puppy is going, and doesn't state in their contract that they take the puppy back, I would stay away from them.

4. I would ask this person what breeder this puppy is from and contact the breeder myself and tell them what is going on. Maybe this breeder had no idea that these people were selling their dog.

Catsi

I wouldn't expect a refund for a change of heart - which this is. I'm not saying that these people did the wrong thing, maybe they honestly thought it would be fine and this dog isn't the right dog for them? Better to rehome now than to become an out of control garden ornament. Without knowing the full story I'm loathe to say that they are just shirking responsibility... they may be wonderful dog owners with another dog. Lesson learned the hard way I guess.

This is one reason why I'd always now purchase my dogs from ethical breeders or rescue so that I know that if my circumstances changed suddenly for the worst, the future of my dog/s is less tenuous. I would be loathe to rehome by myself, but if I felt strongly about a person/family that I thought was great for my dog I'd consider it, but I would be running it by the breeder first and just making sure they feel ok about it. I just think that if we both have the best interest of the dog at heart, we should be on the same page. I'm certainly not going to sell my dog to the first person that comes along. The breeder is going to be the first person I consult with. However, if over time we have differences of opinion and maybe I feel we are not on the same page anymore then I wouldn't hesitate to make it my own call. I would hope that my future breeders are people that I look up to and can count on for sound advice, but I'm also not going to follow blindly if I feel something isn't right.

I wouldn't want to sell to recoup my money. It's the risk I take when I buy, I'm honestly more worried about the welfare of my dog/s. I'd be heartbroken if I were to return a dog, even if it were the right decision. :(

Red Chrome

I agree with all that RC and Adrianne have said. IMO a reputable breeder should attempt to get the dog back because like RC said people do crappy things and if the breeder isn't going to be the dog's advocate who is?

Thats awesome! Are they doing anything cool with her?
They are doing some VERY cool stuff with her.

1. I would not offer a refund in the case of someone saying "this dog is too high drive" and "we don't have time for it".

2. If any of my puppy buyers tried to sell their puppies from me, you best believe that I would take legal action as in my contract it states that if the owners can no longer care for their puppy it comes back to me.

3. If this GSD's breeder really doesn't care where this puppy is going, and doesn't state in their contract that they take the puppy back, I would stay away from them.

4. I would ask this person what breeder this puppy is from and contact the breeder myself and tell them what is going on. Maybe this breeder had no idea that these people were selling their dog.
I agree with this! Sometimes breeders don't realize what is happening until someone brings it to their attention.

Members online

No members online now.