What if: Breeding Ban

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
I'm not sure where this was mentioned, be it chat, a thread or maybe in my own wanderings of the internet. Anyways, I read somewhere that the US was considering putting a 5 year ban on breeding which means revoking all breeding/kennel licenses I guess? This would also, I'm simulating in my head, mean no more registration for puppies with any kennel club since it would be against to law to have said puppies.

So my question is this: what would that do to breeding? Obviously the stray dogs are still going to reproduce unless they are ALL caught and speutered. But what about reputable breeders that are willing to follow this law? Would you freeze sperm of male dogs in their prime for later AI? That is plausible but what about the bitches? Are all breeds still alright to have puppies at age 5 or more?

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Are you serious? People are INSANE. This 'law' is ridiculous.

Huge pet peeve for me. *steams*

On the original question, yes, I would assume sperm would be frozen. Bitches, well, if the bitch is 5 when the the ban would come into effect, I wouldn't breed at 10 YO. Breeding at 5 isn't bad at all, IMHO.

Giny

It would never work. The only ones who would follow the rules are the good breeders, leaving a mess of byb and puppy mills doing it illegally. Then we end up with 5 years of poorly bred dogs, with no good breed to represent their standard.

xpaeanx

I'd move to canada....

Seriously though, I doubt that will pass.... but I know a lot of breeders that have "partners" with other kennels... I can easily see them sending a dog to canada, and registering with their kennel club, then breeding there...

Then you can probably register the pups with the AKC from their CKC registration...

CaliTerp07

What would it do to breeding? Not a lot.

The "oops" puppies would still exist, the byb puppies who aren't properly vetted or registered and are just sold would still exist, pregnant dogs would still be dumped at shelters...

A handful of people would stop breeding. The only good thing I could see is that pet stores probably wouldn't have puppies for sale anymore--since it'd be really easy to fine and/or shut down a store.

It's illegal to have ferrets in California. People still have them. They just don't take them to the vet. (Or they find a vet who is known by ferret people to not report them).

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Cali, why is it illegal?

It would most certainly do alot to breeding. You would virtually have no reputable breeders breeding litters.

xpaeanx

A handful of people would stop breeding. The only good thing I could see is that pet stores probably wouldn't have puppies for sale anymore--since it'd be really easy to fine and/or shut down a store.
well, it's illegal to breed for 5 years, not sell. They'd probably actually get away with selling the puppies...

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Now I didn't say this was going to happen, just something I'd heard and wondered what the ramifications would be.

Do you think they'd try harder to shut down puppy mills? Or would it just become more of a black market type thing? What about socializing a pup if it's technically illegal? Would a pup seen my an officer be pts? These are all things I'm wondering about as far as how they could possibly ever enact a breeding ban.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Where did you hear it? If you have a link I would like to read it.

Like Xpaeanx pointed out, breeding and selling are two different things. While breeding might stop, selling wouldn't.

Giny

Might have been something mentioned for the State of California a few years ago, don't know if it was limited to years. But I do think they were trying to pass something similar.

CaliTerp07

Cali, why is it illegal?
Cali is weird about "exotics" if it's not native, but can live in the wild there, it's illegal.

Like sugar gliders are illegal there...
Yeah, the logic is that if ferrets get loose, they'll thrive in the climate/environment and will totally throw off the natural ecosystem. Gerbils are illegal too. I'd never seen a gerbil until this past year.

It actually makes a lot of sense, to me. There have been a few non-native plants and animals that have just taken over the area (eucalyptus trees, and snails, for example)

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I've heard this bandied about by some of the ARistas, saying stuff like "Oh, if the REPUTABLE breeders wouldn't mind!" to which I hurt myself rolling my eyes so hard. This shows just how much they don't know about responsible breeding.

A 5 year old bitch is fine to have a litter, but seeing as how they have to be at least 2 to have all their tests done and such...you're looking at dogs that would be upwards of 8 years old, which is NOT a good idea for most breeds.

elegy

overdogged
it's never going to happen. puppymillers (er, i mean usda licensed breeders) have too much power and too much clout and it would never get through legislation on any large scale. it might happen here and there on a small scale, but i do not believe it could happen as a country. or even as a state.

i can see all kinds of ridiculous restrictions that favor "licensed breeders" being imposed (goes hand in hand with mandatory spay/neuter but those never apply to commercial breeders). that could be very bad news for small hobby breeders, those who most of us here would look to as responsible breeders. it would be a very scary time for a lot of breeds.

That is so stupid!!! I hate the idea of bans (any type). It only makes people do things the wrong way. And only the good/decent people follow laws, the bad guys just break them.

And do they honestly think everyone is gonna run off to the shelters and adopt any/every dog out there?!

Xandra

If I were a breeder and a law like that was passed...
unless the consequence was going to jail for 10 years or killing the dogs...

I'd just ignore it.

If you live in a decently secluded area and have good neighbours...
If you didn't advertise your pups, and only sold to people through word of mouth (which one could argue breeders should be doing anyways)...

Well, if it's like every other animal law (and many many non-animal laws), they probably wouldn't find out.

A good breeder does right by the breed, not necessarily the government. Being a good person doesn't correspond with being a lawful person. It can but it doesn't have to. In my opinion. Obviously many disagree. That's OK. Most of us don't even share the same country lol.

But honestly what has the country come to if you can't breed your own dog???Ridiculous to me. I mean that is getting into 1984 crap.

Members online