Finding a breed for my boyfriend

Paviche

Duuuuude.
The BF is in no rush to get a dog. With how much he travels for his job, it's probably years off. I'm still trying to figure out what breed would best suit him, though. He might be open to adoption but I think he'd rather go the breeder route.

- Under 40 lbs, preferably between 15-30 lbs
- Low or non-shedding. He can deal with frequent grooming. Shedding drives him nuts. He hates being covered with hair after cuddling with my dogs.
- At least somewhat independent. He likes some cuddling and wants a dog to hang out with but doesn't like clingy/Velcro.
- Not DA. Doesn't have to be super friendly, just able to tolerate other dogs. Preferably ok with cats too if raised with them.
- Not soft. He's not harsh with dogs or I wouldn't support him getting one, but is stricter than I am. His home can occasionally be loud and chaotic. I think a very soft dog would generally be overwhelmed with him, and he would be frustrated with a dog that is so sensitive.
- Not too hard to train manners, but otherwise doesn't need to be particularly biddable. He wants a companion, mostly. Maybe some hiking and camping, but he's not in to dog sports or anything like that.

His dream breed is a Shiba, after reading a lot about them, but the shedding is turning into a deal breaker. I'm having a hard time coming up with a dog similar in temperament. The primitive breeds are so unique. He likes Airedales, too, but they're too large.

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
if he likes the fiesty hard terriers, what about an irish or wire fox?

a klein poodle might be a good bet too-- he can have it groomed in any way he wants, even a mohawk or something "cool"

what about a hairless breed?

JacksonsMom

I would say Border Terrier... maybe Welsh Terrier? (if he likes Airedales, I know they're similar in looks, don't know about personality).

Honestly, I know it probably sounds "girly" but a cockapoo? We had a cockapoo (around 20lbs) that my stepdad LOVED. He's not the best 'dog person'. He can be harsh in a similar way as your BF sounds (not mean, just more strict), and not really the best dog owner at all, but that dog was perfect for his lifestyle. Cuddly when he wanted her to be, but also was an awesome farmdog. She was never on leash and used to hunt things outside all the time. And honestly, every one I've met have been great dogs, and vary a lot in looks/color/size but are all the same in temperament.

Havanese also pops into mind.

Members online