I'm confused

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Ok, I should be awesome at housebreaking puppies but Lily is wierd. She can hang out with me for hours and not have to go outside. She can sleep in the bed with us from 1 am until 7 am get up go outside and then come back and sleep on the bed until 11. Well I'm trying to let her have free time in the kitchen and I'll take her out and come back five minutes later and she'll have peed or poop on the floor. I don't know if it's because I'm not there or what. It seems like we'll take her outside and then if we crate her or leave her in the kitchen she'll go. I moved the divider in her crate so it was a little smaller but she still went. So she got a bath, blowdried, and her nails painted (she's going purple this week). Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get her to hold it for a little longer. I tried to let her out for ten minutes and then crate for twenty but she can't even make it ten minutes (even after I had taken her out). Every puppy I have was different so now I am just completely at a loss. I thought I had this housebreaking thing figured out.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
your best bet really is keeping a journal for a few days, until you have her routine figured out completely.

make note of every time she eats, drinks, pees or poops, regardless if it is an accident or happens in a proper place. if you have a set schedule and feed her at the same times every day, it shouldn't take longer than 2-3 days to figure it out. i find it works best if you take the dog out every hour on the hour, on a leash, taking 10 minutes or so, focusing on nothing else but going potty.

set her up for success, i.e. crate her for a short period of time after she has done her "business". at that point you know the chances for accidents are the lowest.

if she isn't reliable, don't leave her uncrated unsupervised. the less accidents you let happen, the less complicated the entire process will be, each time she succeeds in peeing or pooping in an inappropriate spot, the more confusing things get for her.

and i know you probably don't want to hear it, but i'd really recommend crating her during the night instead of letting her sleep on the bed, until she is reliable in the house. it would go a long way to teach her that her crate is not an appropriate place to pee or poop.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I'll try that Mordy. I tried yesterday letting her outside every hour and she'll pee like two times and she won't poop. I'll stand out there for half an hour with her and she won't got she'll play with sticks and rocks. Then as soon as I bring her in and she's alone she'll go. She's never had an accident in front of us yet. She's just really wierd, I don't know if she's scared to be away from me or to be alone but she only has an accident when we're not around. I'm assuming it's because she was raised in a kennel and she doesn't know any better than to not go in her crate, or the kitchen, but it's wierd that she will only have accidents when we are not there to see her. If she's leashed up and with me in the house she can literally go four five hours without going outside. Well time to try something new with her I guess.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
it's very typical of dogs raised in kennels or cages that they don't know better. they never had a need to learn early on.

don't let her play when you go outside for potty trips, you want her to relaize she's there for a reason. it's also better if you don't just stand there, but actually walk, with her on a leash. the movement stimulates the bowels, so "number two" comes more naturally.

if a dog has accidents while unsupervised, two things could be the case:
1. they could have been corrected for doing it while a person was present and
2. they prefer to have their privacy

no matter which applies, in both cases you need to teach the dog that it is a good thing to do her business in an appropriate location, while you are watching.

it helps if you bring a really yummy treat along for that purpose, but don't let her see it until she's all done. :) then praise, make a big fuss and give the treat.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
so she's going #2 more frequently outside. I sort of know when she has to go #2 now so I schedule her potty breaks around that time. We walk around the yard and within ten or fifteen minutes she will usually go. She hasn't had an accident in a day and a half (although I'm still anticipating more though). She no longer sleeps on the bed with us at night, instead at the foot of the bed in her crate. I think she has realized a little bit that it's not good to go in her crate, but we still have some ways to go with her. I've started giving her little puppy milk bones when she goes #2 outside so she anticipates a treat everytime she gets done doing it.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
awesome, sounds like you have made quite a bit of progress already! :)

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Mordy said:
awesome, sounds like you have made quite a bit of progress already! :)
Yeah she's had one accident in two days but she's slowly learning. I cleaned her crate really good with a bleach and water hoping that maybe that may help. I figured that there may still be a little potty smell in her crate so I figured that would help get the smell gone.

Members online

No members online now.