I HAD a Pembroke Corgi BUT

beloved1

I made the mistake of buying him from a store. He was 4 1/2 years old when I had to put him down to the the final end of the cancer in April. I will never buy a corgi again, because they remind me too much of him. In addition, they are prone to possible back problems as are wienerschnitsels(sp?) so I am just not going there after this heart break. It's hard for me to even talk about him, it hurt too much still and I miss him alot.
We had previously had 2 other dogs, the one I mentioned that was a breed between a shepherd and a coonhound. He was AWESOME except he was scared of lud trucks and thumnder and the fireworkls from Disneyland that go off every night during summer, so he had a tendency to try and hatch a human head when he was frightened. He died of old age in his sleep, Our other dog was, again, a puppy farm dog, and she lived to be 12 but she too died as a result of cancer.

I am only buying a dog from a reputable breeder from the national dog club recommended and noted by the AKC. The AKC is no good with health issues, but the National clubs each have a health page, which enables you to find out what possible problems there are with the breed. Beagles and Poodles were the worst. Beagles had like almost 5 pages pof stuff that goes wrong with them. Crossed them off the list. Crossed of Cardigans too, too much like my baby.

Our ACD we got from a petstore, but he was bred locally and was a ooops. so no papers. He has a loy of bulldog of some sort in him, but he's still mostly ACD. They are fairly healthy dogs, but as a working/herding dog, theycan be a handful.

Of course, as the Alpha Mom, nobody herds me. They don't dare.

We are going to get a standard schnauzer. They do not have that many heridtary glitches, and they are making every effort to breed them out. I have made contact with the local branch of the national club, and that's been great. I received a call from one of the breeders telling me that I ahve a dog...as sooon as she's old enough, that is! They had 9 pups, 7 girls and 2 boys. We have been discussing the name and are giggling about "7 of 9", ha ha. We are getting a female because they do have a tendency as a breed to rule the roost, and altho my ACD is neutered, he is still Top Dog so in order to avoid territory arguments, we are getting a girl. That way it won;t matter how bossy she gets. Female dogs usually get their way!! They are only about 3 weeks old, so it will be a while yet. I love blacks, but the line breeding is very close to keep them that way, so I am safer with ewhat we are going to get, which is a salt and pepper. My family had a standard when I was in highschool, so I know what they are like. I happen to adore them anyway, so I am esxcited to actually get one finally!

SO that's my long story, thus far.:popcorn:

I takes guts to learn from the mistakes in the past, is a nice thing you are goin to a good breeder insted of supporting more petshops.

people belive I'm stuped because I don't want to buy in a pet shop, but I want insted a dog from a breeder a dog that's expencisiver than the petshop ones.

They belive is goin to be the same "product" but at a higher price.

Juicy

I know how you feel. Ever since Didi's passing, everytime I see another rat terrier I want to break down and cry. Its very hard, I could never see me again with another rat terrier, it brings back too much memories of her.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
I am so sorry to hear about your corgi. The corgis (both breeds) are among my favorites, and as a child we lost a beloved corgi at the age of 3 to a lung infection.

Good luck with your standard.

And if any one ever suggests buying from a pet store, you have a good way to tell them what a bad idea it is . . . if it doesn't hurt too much. :(

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
wienerschnitsels(sp?)
OT, but... LOL! I haven't heard that one. I think you mean Dachshunds? :p

I'm so sorry about your Corgi. He passed way too young, but at least he lived in a loving home for his entire life, rather than in any of the horrible places a pet store puppy could end up.

Props for finding a reputable breeder for your Standard Schnauzer pup. How exciting! I can't wait for pics!

lizzybeth727

lol, weinerschnitzel is a type of german sausage.

I think you're thinking of a "weiner dog", which is the so-called "cute" nickname given to dachshunds.

bubbatd

LOL!!! I call them that too !!! Seriously , I'm sorry about your Corgi . And thanks for stating that you got him from a pet store !!! I'm sure many a lurker has been educated by these posts !! I hate to see the price people pay for puppy mill pups !!!!! Let us know which you get and of course pictures !!!! 7 0f 9 ....that could be fun ....Sieben Von Neun !!!

beloved1

Oh sorry. I am at the age where I am beginning to forget the right words!!! And I used to be a spelling champ, too. Rats. Yeah Dachunds.

Egads. I have a picture of the mom and the pups.

Members online

No members online now.