Nails

ACooper

Maybe an odd question, but does anyone dremel dogs who have furry feet? and if yes, do you need to take any precautions/make sure foot fur is well trimmed first?

Laurelin's paps made me envision the dremel getting tangled up in fur o_O

Um, true confession: I don't really have a schedule. When I notice the nails getting long, I trim them. In theory I check once a week but I don't always remember.

The boys are easy peasy for nails, they just sit still and don't fuss. Maisy has traditionally completely panicked for nail trims, but I've been working hard on D/CC with her and I can trim a couple at a time now, sometimes a whole back foot at once. Which for her is really brave. So for her the nails mostly get trimmed when they can get trimmed.

I tried a Dremel once with Pip. Someone told me to put a nylon knee-high over his foot so the nails would stick through and I couldn't tangle his fur... I ended up tangling the nylon instead. So I decided there was too much danger of really inept Operator Error and just use trimmers instead.

DJEtzel

Maybe an odd question, but does anyone dremel dogs who have furry feet? and if yes, do you need to take any precautions/make sure foot fur is well trimmed first?

I trim/dremel nails twice a month for about 20-30 dogs at the dog park where I work. Without fail, I have the most issue with Poodle. Their fur is so tight and curly it's hard to get out of the way, and occasionally I grab some hair in the dremel, but it stops at resistance so it doesn't pull or hurt them. I do a lot of Berners, Goldens, etc with furry feet and don't have an issue at all with straight haired dogs, I just hold the fur out of the way. :)

Toller_08

I dremel all of my guys' nails once a week. Ideally everyone except for Journey (who has awesome slow growing nails) should have them done probably twice a week though. But it's tiring and just the thought of doing their nails on a work night drains my energy haha. My older three were not introduced to getting their nails done very well, and so they all squirm and pull their feet away. So I do them weekly on one of my days off.

I always use a dremel. I hate clipping and the dogs can sense it so aren't very cooperative. Plus, I can't imagine getting a clipper through Keira and Ripley's nails. They're so thick! And also, with the way I dremel, I don't think I could clip them anyway without clipping right into the quick. I don't quick my dogs while dremeling them (unless accidentally), but I do kind of expose it to get it to recede, so there really is no extra nail to clip. If that makes sense. It's hard to explain.

My hairy dogs usually have trimmed feet anyway, but even if they're a little hairy and in need of trimming, I just hold the hair back away from the toes as best as I can. I've never gotten toe hair stuck in the dremel. Dance's tail, on the other hand... I now make sure I'm extra cautious about tucking it in away from the dremel.

FG167

I pull Kastle's toe hair out all the time but he doesn't even notice so I don't worry about it. I read once to shove their feet into pant hose and push the nails through to trim. Then the hair is contained.

Upendi&Mina

Mainstreme Elitist
I dremel all of my guys' nails once a week. Ideally everyone except for Journey (who has awesome slow growing nails) should have them done probably twice a week though. But it's tiring and just the thought of doing their nails on a work night drains my energy haha. My older three were not introduced to getting their nails done very well, and so they all squirm and pull their feet away. So I do them weekly on one of my days off.

I always use a dremel. I hate clipping and the dogs can sense it so aren't very cooperative. Plus, I can't imagine getting a clipper through Keira and Ripley's nails. They're so thick! And also, with the way I dremel, I don't think I could clip them anyway without clipping right into the quick. I don't quick my dogs while dremeling them (unless accidentally), but I do kind of expose it to get it to recede, so there really is no extra nail to clip. If that makes sense. It's hard to explain.

My hairy dogs usually have trimmed feet anyway, but even if they're a little hairy and in need of trimming, I just hold the hair back away from the toes as best as I can. I've never gotten toe hair stuck in the dremel. Dance's tail, on the other hand... I now make sure I'm extra cautious about tucking it in away from the dremel.
That's how my dogs nails are too, there isn't really anything to clip without getting a quick. I try to do them twice a week but usually end up only doing it once a week, but ideally they get done Wednesday and Sunday. I trim Cara's foot hair before trimming if need be.

I'm not a fan of soaking nails or bathing before dremeling. I don't like the edge I get with wet nails and it seems to wear my dremel heads down faster when I work with wet nails.

Brattina88

I just trim up Bailey's feet first.
But with Maddie's, unless I have her shaved completely down, I have to make sure I hold up all of the hair with my hand supporting the paw before I begin to dremel... and I have to adjust my hold just about every other nail hold to make sure I've got the hair out of the way.
With some of the fosters with thinner, longer feathery hair I've used hose. The nails pop right through the hose leaving it easy to dremel, and the hair stays in. :)

Members online

No members online now.