Rhodesian Ridgbacks or suggestions

Anyone familiar with them? I've met one and while he was very gorgeous, his temperament left much to be desired and I don't think was correct for the breed. But after watching them on dogs 101 I decided to give them another look.

I want another hiking companion as many of my dogs are getting too old to go on longer more strenuous hikes and I had narrowed it down to 2 breeds, there are a few drawbacks to each that makes he hesitate.

I want a large dog- 75-120lb range. No bigger really b/c I want a more athletic dog. I prefer a taller dog at least 28" at the shoulder. Something I can hold by the collar w/o bending over.

I want more medium energy, but good endurance. Off switch at home, but have no problem going on a 10 mile hike. Dog will get daily exercise through out the week, but my off days would be the heavier activity days. But I don't want a dog that is going to bounce off the walls if we are having major t-storms and can't go running that day.

Short coat. At least heat tolerant as I live in FL.

Protective as I hike alone 99% of the time.

Woods smart/outdoorsy dog is plus as we hike mainly in the woods, dogs off leash for the most part depending on where we are at.

Must at least get along with other dogs in the house, not too concerned with dogs outside the family. Prefer pack orientated dog.

Not concerned with formal obedience. My requirements are pretty basic sit on command, lie down, stay and come when called and don't pull on the leash! Which any dog breed can be taught.

BostonBanker

I've known a few, and used to house sit regularly for one that I adored.

He would have fit your needs quite well, although I'm not sure he could have lived happily with another male dog. The owners very specifically had only females with him, and he was not always great meeting other males out and about.

He was polite and easy and aloof around the house, but loved going on long hikes. His recall wasn't flawless; he could get chasing something and tune you out completely. But he always came back after the chase; not a dog I would have had off-leash around roads or anything, but they lived on huge acreage on the side of a mountain.

SSA is prevalent in my other choices too, but I find most will get along with a Greyhound of the same sex where they wouldn't their same breed or another dominant breed. And I run Greyhounds off leash, so I figure the RR recall would kinda like theirs. Most of the time and then come back when they are done chasing whatever! :) I run them in a 4000 acre park so plenty of room to run!

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
I wouldnt count on SSA not being there because its a greyhound and no a dominate breed. Alot of SSA dogs dont care what breed it is just the sex. Something to keep in mind.

They sound like a good fit for you, but like it was stated they are a hound, so their recall will not be the greatest but better than your average hound.

I wouldnt count on SSA not being there because its a greyhound and no a dominate breed. Alot of SSA dogs dont care what breed it is just the sex. Something to keep in mind.

They sound like a good fit for you, but like it was stated they are a hound, so their recall will not be the greatest but better than your average hound.
I'm used to dealing with Dogo Argentinos and Dobermans in the SSA department! :) Those are my other 2 choices as they are what I'm used too. Downside- Doberman pups are more active than I want (although my Greyhound pup is giving every Dobe pup I've owned/fostered a run for their money) and so far haven't found a suitable adult rescue. Dogos- I would have to go puppy and on one hand I really want one, but the litter I want is coming sooner than I really want and not sure I want to deal with raising another Dogo pup. They are awesome as little ones, but their teenage years leave much to be desired! But then they become awesome again as seniors like my Casper!

Danefied

Love, love, love, love rhodies!!

I grew up with one, known a lot, and Bates' current BFF is a lovely rhodesian bitch.

Hiking companion? Check. They are very hardy in the exercise department.
Large? Check. Though know your lines, and know that bitches are going to be significantly smaller.

Endurance with off switch? Check. They're LAZY in the house. Though you have to survive puppyhood first to get to this stage, and puppyhood sometimes lasts YEARS.

Heat tolerant? Absolutely. They do very well in hot climates.

Protective? Yup.

Wildlife smart and outdoorsy? Check. It helps to bring them up this way too though.

Getting along with other dogs? Really, with halfway decent handling, this shouldn't be an issue. Ours growing up was intact and he lived with two other intact dogs, one a terrier. He never started anything, though if he needed to, he would put an end to things. He definitely could take care of himself, but he was never out to hurt or kill another dog. Once he made his point with other dogs, he rarely had to make it again. That kind of dog.
Bates' BFF has AWESOME dog skills. She's perfectly happy to correct dogs acting stupid, but again, nothing over the top, and she de-escalates very easily.

Training? They get a bad rap in the biddability department, but they're actually super smart dogs. Like annoyingly smart. Like figure out child locks on cabinets smart.
They're an interesting blend of a sighthound and molosser, so you not only have to make whatever you're training worth their while, they're not going to put up nicely with being pushed around. But if you approach training in a way that makes sense to them, they're very trainable. No reason why they can't be reliable off leash, and even compete in obedience if you're so inclined :)

Did I mention I love this breed? :D

I grew up with one, known a lot, and Bates' current BFF is a lovely rhodesian bitch.

Large? Check. Though know your lines, and know that bitches are going to be significantly smaller.

Endurance with off switch? Check. They're LAZY in the house. Though you have to survive puppyhood first to get to this stage, and puppyhood sometimes lasts YEARS.

Protective? Yup.

Wildlife smart and outdoorsy? Check. It helps to bring them up this way too though.

Getting along with other dogs? Really, with halfway decent handling, this shouldn't be an issue. Ours growing up was intact and he lived with two other intact dogs, one a terrier. He never started anything, though if he needed to, he would put an end to things. He definitely could take care of himself, but he was never out to hurt or kill another dog. Once he made his point with other dogs, he rarely had to make it again. That kind of dog.
Bates' BFF has AWESOME dog skills. She's perfectly happy to correct dogs acting stupid, but again, nothing over the top, and she de-escalates very easily.

Training? They get a bad rap in the biddability department, but they're actually super smart dogs. Like annoyingly smart. Like figure out child locks on cabinets smart.
They're an interesting blend of a sighthound and molosser, so you not only have to make whatever you're training worth their while, they're not going to put up nicely with being pushed around. But if you approach training in a way that makes sense to them, they're very trainable. No reason why they can't be reliable off leash, and even compete in obedience if you're so inclined :)

Thanks! I found many breeders listed in FL on the club site. Might contact a few and see about meeting some of their dogs to see how I like them!

Danefied

Thanks! I found many breeders listed in FL on the club site. Might contact a few and see about meeting some of their dogs to see how I like them!
I'm sure you already know this, but make sure that the breeder health checks and publishes that information. Epilepsy is also an issue in the breed. Obviously no health check there, but worth discussing with the breeder.

Cool dogs :D

I'm sure you already know this, but make sure that the breeder health checks and publishes that information. Epilepsy is also an issue in the breed. Obviously no health check there, but worth discussing with the breeder.

Cool dogs :D
The closest breeder to me that I liked the looks of her dogs has the health clearances listed on her page. She does hips, elbows, cardiac, eyes and thyroid. I will ask about seizures. I have no desire to have a dog that has seizures. Been there, done that and not again.

Still thinking though. Will have to meet some dogs first to see if I like that. Like I said the only one I've ever met was not a good experience. He ran around the back of the house and barked at me and wouldn't come anywhere near me. Where there Rottweiler and Presa they had was happy to see me! I don't like dogs with shady temperaments so that is a big issue for me. But from what I've read, he isn't the norm.

May just buckle down and go with another Dogo at least I know what I'm getting myself into!

Lyzelle

Protective? Yup.

All of this. Breed is on my major want list right now. They are absolutely lovely dogs when you're a good fit for one.

Danefied

Like I said the only one I've ever met was not a good experience. He ran around the back of the house and barked at me and wouldn't come anywhere near me. Where there Rottweiler and Presa they had was happy to see me! I don't like dogs with shady temperaments so that is a big issue for me. But from what I've read, he isn't the norm.
Unfortunately, there are a good many timid ones out there - no, not correct for the breed, but when people who don't know what they're doing try to water the breed down, that's one of the results. Yes, definitely check out the lines.

That said, though they love their people, and well socialized, they can be friendly enough, they're not a fawn all over you type dog like a rottie or dobe. The breed standard calls for them to be "reserved with strangers", and they are.
Ours was silly and goofy and love-ey with us, but he never gave strangers or visitors the time of day. At best he acted like they didn't exist.
My friend's bitch completely ignored me at first. Now she'll play with me, recall for me, and every once in a blue moon I'll get a kiss from her. But it's very clear she's not my dog.

Unfortunately, there are a good many timid ones out there - no, not correct for the breed, but when people who don't know what they're doing try to water the breed down, that's one of the results. Yes, definitely check out the lines.

That said, though they love their people, and well socialized, they can be friendly enough, they're not a fawn all over you type dog like a rottie or dobe. The breed standard calls for them to be "reserved with strangers", and they are.
Ours was silly and goofy and love-ey with us, but he never gave strangers or visitors the time of day. At best he acted like they didn't exist.
My friend's bitch completely ignored me at first. Now she'll play with me, recall for me, and every once in a blue moon I'll get a kiss from her. But it's very clear she's not my dog.
I don't mind reserved with strangers. But running and hiding is not acceptable to me in a breed that is suppose to have protective instincts. I have very few if any visitors so that isn't a real issue as far as not loving strangers. I just can not deal with timid dog. One of my Greyhounds doesn't like strangers, but he is not timid with me in the slightest, actually he is pretty hardheaded stubborn jackass at times! Which I do like. I don't necessarily want an easy dog. I do like a challenge, but not 24/7.

Danefied

I don't mind reserved with strangers. But running and hiding is not acceptable to me in a breed that is suppose to have protective instincts. I have very few if any visitors so that isn't a real issue as far as not loving strangers. I just can not deal with timid dog. One of my Greyhounds doesn't like strangers, but he is not timid with me in the slightest, actually he is pretty hardheaded stubborn jackass at times! Which I do like. I don't necessarily want an easy dog. I do like a challenge, but not 24/7.
Well, running and hiding is not correct for the breed period. Nor is timid. But like I said, get enough idiot BYB who don't understand temperament, and they can't tell the difference between aloof and timid, and you get timid and fearful rhodies out there.
You also get the other end of the spectrum with some serious aggression issues with protective instincts gone awry.

But the *correct* temperament is not a timid dog nor an aggressive one.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Love, love, love a well bred rhodie.

Have you looked into a boerboel at all that have the hound influence and body structure in them? They are very protective and energetic if you can find a breeder that has that type of boerboel.

But I say go for a rhodie.

Love, love, love a well bred rhodie.

Have you looked into a boerboel at all that have the hound influence and body structure in them? They are very protective and energetic if you can find a breeder that has that type of boerboel.

But I say go for a rhodie.
I have fostered a Boerboel. I like them, but if I am going with a mastiff, I'll take a Dogo with a Presa being my next choice. My biggest issue so far with the RR is I find many of them ugly. I just don't like the way they a big majority of them look. Some I do like, but many just like redbone mix to me or some hound mutt at the pound. I'm afraid I would end up with an ugly one! Sounds silly, but it what I'm thinking right now after looking at lots of websites about them!

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
I'm used to dealing with Dogo Argentinos and Dobermans in the SSA department! :) Those are my other 2 choices as they are what I'm used too. Downside- Doberman pups are more active than I want (although my Greyhound pup is giving every Dobe pup I've owned/fostered a run for their money) and so far haven't found a suitable adult rescue. Dogos- I would have to go puppy and on one hand I really want one, but the litter I want is coming sooner than I really want and not sure I want to deal with raising another Dogo pup. They are awesome as little ones, but their teenage years leave much to be desired! But then they become awesome again as seniors like my Casper!
I just meant that regardless of the breed if they are known for SSA you cant count on it being OK with your Grey simply because its a Grey and not a dominate breed. ;)

Pops2

I just meant that regardless of the breed if they are known for SSA you cant count on it being OK with your Grey simply because its a Grey and not a dominate breed. ;)
Can't speak for show lines, but with coldbloods & stags, apparently late onset DA is fairly common. They seem to just get cranky in their old age and will lite up random dogs for no good reason. Sonic has been dong this mostly to male dogs for a couple years now.

Members online

No members online now.