Border collies not good pets?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
They are not for the first time owner, that's for sure. I can't remember what thread it was, but someone posted a list of dogs that someone had recommended for 1st time owners and a BC was on the list. I'm assuming because of how smart it is, it's easy to train and that was the good point. Otherwise, if you want to know how easy it is to keep a BC, read Jon Katz's book A Dog Year. It talks about how he 'rescued' a former show obedience BC and the trials and tribulations he went through with it. Great read! And I think fairly typical, Devon is a little worse than most at the beginning, but the BC drive and personality definitely presents itself.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Pro47 said:
RD,
How did you get your name to change? And why are you not Rip's Girl anymore?
Chaz was kind enough to change it for me, and I wanted it switched because I'm not solely Ripley's girl anymore :)

yoko

i use to have a border collie and i loved her! she was so smart but it took a lot of time each day to exercise her

Gempress said:
border collies are not really suited to being housepets.
A lot of older breed books say the same thing about various breeds, mostly hounds and hunting dogs. I think it's true that working stock Borders are probably (usually) too specialized in stamina, energy and focus on herding to be happy in a pet home, even one where the owners were flyball/obedience/agility obsessives who run 30 miles a day and otherwise perfectly 'pet own' the dog.

Members online

No members online now.