Barbet?

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Welp, we met a barbet breeder at the expo today, and had a good long chat with them and now my mom is quite interested in them.

Anyone have experience with them?

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Didn't even know what they were until google but holy cute!
They look like that big hairy elephant from sesame street lol

They have a very short temperament breed standard but hey, sounds good to me.

Even disposition, very attached to his master, very sociable, loving water even when very cold.

Seem a lot like portugese water dogs to me

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Yah, they're a water dog/retriever :) Of course I can't for the life of me remember what breeder was there, but I googled another near here to look at pictures xD

We watched dock diving (and saw quite a few dogs going to Worlds!) and I think that had something to do with wanting one ;)

CaliTerp07

My old coworker has 2 of them. Loves them and has nothing but good things to say about them (and they aren't super dog savvy people at all--just wanted something 'non-shedding').

They came from a breeder in Canada and since they're so few and far between I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same person.

Aleron

I met two at the last UKC show - an adult and a puppy. They both seemed like nice dogs :)

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
We have a customer with one of those! They always call him a French Water Dog, though. He's a neat dog and seems very friendly!

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I'm really happy to see you say that CaliTerp -- my parents definitely aren't dog savvy, and my mom was really drawn to them for their "non-shedding" too :lol-sign:

There's supposed to be 2 or 3 at the confo show on Friday that I'm definitely going to, I may make my mom come along.

CaliTerp07

I'm really happy to see you say that CaliTerp -- my parents definitely aren't dog savvy, and my mom was really drawn to them for their "non-shedding" too :lol-sign:

There's supposed to be 2 or 3 at the confo show on Friday that I'm definitely going to, I may make my mom come along.
The family had experience with dogs (they had English cockers for many years prior to the Barbets), but they aren't sports people or conformation people or anything like that.

The dogs are around small children all the time too and do great :) They seem like really nice dogs.

We have a customer with one of those! They always call him a French Water Dog, though. He's a neat dog and seems very friendly!
Having an obscure French breed of dog, I completely understand why they give them a term/name like French Water Dog instead of Barbet. It makes it easier to explain them. Would you know what a Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen is? LOL but when I say "I have a French hunting Hound." People understand.

Barbets are super cute! I'd love to meet some! I love water dogs. :D

spiffy

Barbets really make good family pets as they do not show aggression even to strangers. These dogs have a pronounced mustache thus the name - barbe is the French word for beard. They are also called mud dogs because of their inclination to roll in mud. It's a good thing that they love water. Bathing the pet would not be one of the concerns of the owner.;)

Members online