Definition of "Happy Medium" ?

Sweet72947

Squishy face
I didn't want to derail the other thread, but I have a few questions. I have seen a lot of opinions on the type of screening, the adoption process, and the requirements of various rescues/shelters, and I have seen people mentioning that a "happy medium" would be good. But just what is this happy medium?

In my area, you have the municipal shelters that adopt to pretty much anyone, as long as you have an ID showing that you are 18+ (its VA state law that persons under the age of 18 cannot be held legally responsible as the primary caregiver of an animal), sign the form stating you will obey VA state law as it pertains to the care of domestic animals, and pay a $55 adoption fee (for dogs). Pretty easy.

Then you have the rescues, and their requirements differ greatly from organization to organization.

Note: Home visits - this is not done to invade your privacy, this is done because we want to see where the dog is going! Why is that wrong? I do know that a nice house doesn't automatically mean the dog will be well cared for, I have seen some animal cops shows where they go to a freaking mansion and find an emaciated dog. But imagine you were rehoming one of your dogs. Wouldn't you want to see where it was going to live (if you weren't rehoming it to a Chazzer or something you already trusted)?

What is a reasonable screening process to you? Do you think that there should be a set rules (with flexibility), or perhaps no rules at all, and each home taken on a case by case basis?

Pretend for a minute that you are rehoming your dog. What would you do to make sure he went to a good home (excluding rehoming to a Chazzer ;) )?

Thank you for your opinions. :)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Ideally the rescues could take the time to get to know the potential owner but I realize it's not that possible most rescues. That is how every breeder I've gotten dogs from does it though.

I've never had a home visit or an application either with any of our dogs. I simply talked to the breeders. If I were re-homing either of mine, that is the approach I would probably take.

I think strict rules tend to hurt people more than help. I don't like the idea that you must have a fence or no kids, etc in order to adopt. (maybe for a CERTAIN dog, but not them all).

Last edited:

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
It's really hard to put into words for me--but I think taking each adoption as an individual situation makes sense, rather than all this black/white rules.
For instance---some college students CAN be responsible pet owners--some would be horrible. I think having a questionaire that allows people to give information about themselves, have they ever owned dog, why they want the dog, where it will be housed, how it will be cared for, vet reference is a good idea, general housing info. (fence, no fence, apt, etc.), kids in the house--ages, etc.
Now, not having a fence would not be an automatic denial--like some rescues do. But, the applicant better be able to discuss what measures they will use to properly contain the dog, exercise, etc. I actually think this approach would raise some questions that the adopters may not have even thought about. Good opportunity to give some suggestions and guidance.

Same applies to the kids/no kids--how old are they, will they be involved in the care of the pet, how involved, etc?
I guess I am saying that there are alot of potentially great pet owners out there who don't even get the chance based on a black/white rule--"Oh no fence, no dog".

ACooper

Obviously, due to manpower and money there must be a set of guidelines to follow.......there just isn't time to 'get to know' or home visit each and every applicant.

I also think there should be room for flexibility if the person comes with very good references and perhaps doesn't meet every single guideline. I think showing up with an ID and $55 dollars is terrible, but I also think ruling out everyone who doesn't have a fenced in yard is along the same lines.

Bare minimum for shelters to reach what I consider a happy medium?

Application to list references and at least a short questionnaire on dog owner ship and why you wish to adopt said dog. It takes very little time to pick up the phone and call these references (such as Vets, landlords, personal references, etc) and could offer at least a little insight before hand.

I also think there should be a 7-10 day window in which the shelter can call and check on the dog or stop at your house if they have the time or wish, also same window for the people to return the dog with a refund if it's not a good fit after all........no harm, no foul.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
-Contact my vet to make sure all my current pets are up to date on everything, healthy, well cared for
-Talk to/get to know me
- Letter from landlord of proof I can own pets
- Take my contact info
- Contract stating that general care will be upheld
dog will have proper food, water, vet care and shelter
- clause stating that if I can't keep the dog, dog will be returned to rescue

thats just about all I would do.. personally.

Im even slightly annoyed with the whole reference thing lol what good does it do honestly? everybody can find a couple of people that can lie, likes them, etc.. they are almost never really honest judges of character

I dont like to give reference that much.. I will, but id rather not.
I did it once and a member of my family got drilled by that rescue like she was under criminal investigation. and they called her around 5-6 times when she was at work lol

NO surprise visits. NO dog seizing.. they can use the contract and go to court if they want the dog back for whatever reason just like everything else. they aren't marching into my house and taking my dog just because.
NO home checks. Ehh I just think they are annoying lol and kind of intrusive.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
References can be relevant-again using the "happy medium" philosophy--stalking someone as a reference isn't exactly helpful--LOL> getting some basic info. from them can be. And it is really pretty easy to figure out who is scamming you on a reference--I check references all the time when hiring employees. Yeah--no one is really getting one over by faking a reference.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Yes, ask the potential adopter some basic questions. It could be an application but nothing too tedious. I've seen some that are pages long and containing ridiculous questions. Why do you want a dog? Have you had other dogs? Do you rent? If you rent will you be willing to provide a statement from your landlord giving you permission to have a pet? etc. If something is obviously very wrong, then deny but otherwise ask for clarification. Bring up points that could be a problem (like my lack of fence was something that was a concern to Mia's breeder). Ask the person if they have plans to work around said problem, etc.

crazy_paws

No thumbs = No mutiny
I'm not sure if there will ever be a happy medium. Some people seem to want no gauging of new owners at all, and some people want a ton of hoops.

I think the rescues that I've volunteered with/rescued from haven't been extreme. I also don't think that home visits are invasive though. My references were called, and they did try to get to know me in phone interviews/emails, etc.

Some of the breeders I've contacted have been more extreme. One even wanted my resume.

Maybe I'm pessimistic, but with the sheer number (in my area at least) of people friviously selling and rehoming dogs. Well, there are VERY few that I would trust with a dog/puppy of mine. I would probably be complained about if I were a breeder.

elegy

overdogged
Obviously, due to manpower and money there must be a set of guidelines to follow.......there just isn't time to 'get to know' or home visit each and every applicant.

I also think there should be room for flexibility if the person comes with very good references and perhaps doesn't meet every single guideline. I think showing up with an ID and $55 dollars is terrible, but I also think ruling out everyone who doesn't have a fenced in yard is along the same lines.
that's pretty much how i feel- rules are fine as long as the people working there are reasonable enough and flexible enough to know when to bend and break them.

I wish that some shelters would be more willing to work with potential adopters. If this dog is really a poor match for an unfenced yard, direct them toward a dog or dogs who would be more appropriate. But for that to work, adopters have to be open to the idea that the dog whose face they fell in love with on the interwebs may not be the best choice for their family and situation.

ACooper

But for that to work, adopters have to be open to the idea that the dog whose face they fell in love with on the interwebs may not be the best choice for their family and situation.
Yes, and not only that, WORKERS have to be knowledgeable enough to recognize and do the directing and explaining WHY a certain dog wouldn't be suitable. Not all shelter/rescue workers are created equal. I've met more than one who's no more educated on dogs than the common joe on the street.

I understand that many are volunteers who love dogs and want very much to help, but there are also paid employees who should be versed in these matters and be able to help in that area IMO.

elegy

overdogged
Yes, and not only that, WORKERS have to be knowledgeable enough to recognize and do the directing and explaining WHY a certain dog wouldn't be suitable. Not all shelter/rescue workers are created equal. I've met more than one who's no more educated on dogs than the common joe on the street.
absolutely. and they also need the social skills with people to not offend and to guide. i've run into some really excellent shelter people and some really freaking horrible ones. if their goal is to place dogs in homes, they'd do better to not drive potential adopters right back out the door with their attitudes.

i AM a good dog owner. a really good dog owner. and i've had shelter people give me attitude and be snotty with me. unacceptable.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
well for me... rehoming my own dog and a shelter rehoming dogs aren't the same thing. rehoming my dog I could take some time and be a little pickier... but a shelter who gets in thousands of animals a year doesn't really get that luxury. they need to move animals out not only for the animals well being but so they can help other animals.

that aside....

I think they need to have a valid lease agreement (if the person rents) stating the animal policy or I guess some sort of proof that they own a home I guess.

a general questionaire about their pets (if any) domestic situation, work situation, kids, how many and what age and have them bring in everyone to meet the new pet. WE brought belle in with us when we went to meet Beezer and they got along right away.

I suppose I could be up for a home visit before they are approved (NOT on a whim after you've been approved) although I'm not sure what a home visit would prove.

If they have concerns about children with dogs... don't allow them to take a dog that does not respond well to children and/or have them bring in the children to meet the dog.

if they have concerns about people in apartments or with unfenced yards sit down and talk to them about their plans with the dog for exercise and stimulation.

but I don't think people should automatically be refused based on those two things (unless the dog is not good with children.. that I can understand)

You can't prevent people from lying that's for sure....

but I don't think stead fast rules like NO apartments, NO NON fenced yards, NO kids works at all in favor of the animals.

Belle would be happy wherever she was but my mom and I ALWAYS say.. Belle has waited her whole LIFE for a child to call her own and play with and follow around and nanny. she was meant to be around children. she LOVES kids even the annoying ones next door that pester her... but there she is... at the fence... tail wagging so hard her whole body moves and just loving that kids are paying attention to her.

Paige

Let it be
When I walk into a local shelter or talking to a rescue I really don't care what questions and requirements they have because if I am not comfortable with the info they want or fail their application I'll move on to the next place. Things that don't bother me for them to ask are

1. Do you rent/own a house? If renting may we contact your landlord to know if you are allowed to have animals?
2. Are there any other people living in your home? What are their ages?
3. Do you have any other dogs?
4. Do you have any other pets?
5. Do you have a fenced in yard?
6. What kind of exercise could you provide daily for your dog?
7. What dog are you interested in and why?

Shelters and rescues are more than welcome to come storm through and rip my house apart. They're more than welcome to call up my references, both personal and my vet to see how I go about things. They can come meet my dog and see how awesome he is and I'd be happy to bring him to meet a potentail new addition. I'll jump through a few hoops and if they decide to decline me well whatever. I'll move on somewhere else and find a different dog that is just as deserving to come home with me.

D

drdamian

For me i guess a lot of it would depend on first impressions and how the person would react to my dog and how my dog reacts to this person...i think i would be really comfortable if i get to see this person's house as well..

Members online

No members online now.