What tricks can your dog do??

Pareeeee

Owned by Fidget
Here's a thread for people to show off what they have taught their dogs!

What tricks/commands does your dog know and what are you in the process of teaching?

Either list them or post a video of them! Boast about how smart your dog is!

I'll go first.

Fidget's Tricks/Commands:

Sit
Stay
Lay down
Come
Off
Drop it
Leave it
Out
Roll over
Bang! (play dead)
Beg
High five
Gimme ten
Shake paw/other paw
Weave (through my legs while I walk lol)
Spin
Bark
Whisper (quiet bark)
Up on my back
Touch (object)
Look at me
Hold still (includes treat on nose or sunglasses/hats/stuff piled on her head :D
Close the door
C'mon up (jumps up into arms)

Learning:
Give (toy/object)
Speak (whine/growl)
Put your head down
Take my socks off (lol)
Jump over (object)

Phew. I think that's all for now...

Here she is way back when she was 11 weeks old doing her first tricks.

AND a more recent video, but still a while back

Hope to be uploading new ones soon!

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Mine mostly know obedience, flyball, agility, tracking, and the tricks that come with these sports but that's it. Sloan knows how to beg, Arnold can shake, Hazmat can circle... I think that's it. lol

nikkiluvsu15

Wild At Heart
Harleigh can:

-Sit
-Down
-Stay
-Come
-Bring it
-Off
-High 5
-Shake Hands
-Beg
-Dance
-High 10 (lol)
-Leg Weave
-Speak
-Crawl
-Talk (so far she can say "Mama" and kinda (but not really) "I Love You")
-Touch (object and hand)
-Look at Me
-Around & Sit (she circles around me and then sits by my side)
-Gimme Kisses
-Hug
-Treat Balance (on nose and front paws)

I think thats all.

Chewbecca

feel the magic
Mine are secret canine ninjas with magical powers like wizards.
One's a little more graceful than the other, but even though his noggin is slightly too large, we think he puts his best efforts in to being just as stealthy as the other one.

They're also good at stealing food right out of your hand when you are distracted and consuming it in record timing. In fact, they consume it so quickly, it's gone practically before you even realize they've stolen it out of your hand. But THAT'S the power of teh secret canine ninjas.

They can also eat grass like a cow. This must be a natural "trick" they can do because I've never taught them how to do it.

When let outside, Luke manages to transform into a half bird, half pony type of creature. And this is how he moves around the yard.

They also have a selective hearing trick they like to do when outside.

But if we're talking actual things they can do that they have been taught to do?
Nothing fancy except sit, stay, stand, down, down-stay, jump (on command), and give kisses on command (Luke gives kisses on command, but Ophie doesn't).

Dekka

Just try me..
Dekka

Spin both ways
A very very good immobile dead (useful on set)
Limp
High five
get it and bring it (she will go get and bring back pretty much any item)
Stick em up
head down/head up
a rock solid leave it (includes food trying to be fed to her)
goes where a finger points
bark quiet and loud

as well as all thing things one might need for rally, basic obedience and agiliy.

Kaiden

Heels both sides
weaves in and out of legs as I walk (this is quite rusty)
Jumps over my legs if I stick one out.

as well as all the things a dog needs to know to do advanced obedience (all but the articles) agility and rally.

Edit Kat, Dekka and Solo all jump into arms on cue.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
That weaving in the legs is cute... until you do it with a 65 lb pit bull and then one day when you get home and he's all excited and offering tricks and you're carrying books and not looking... well.. you get the picture. We un-trained that one pretty quickly. lol lol

elegy

overdogged
weaves in and out of legs as I walk (this is quite rusty)
this was a really dangerous one to have taught Steve, because every once in awhile he'll throw it in for fun when I'm not expecting it :rofl1:

Tricks....

Luce:
paw
other paw
roll over

and all the good stuff needed for Rally and Traditional Obedience (through Open)

Mushroom:
paw
roll over

Steve:
paw
roll over
bang! (play dead - though not very convincingly, i must admit)
prairie dog (sit pretty)
be a poodle (push from a sit pretty into a stand on his back paws)
weave through my legs
heel forwards and backwards while stationed between my legs

plus everything for Rally and Traditional Obedience (through Open)

Taqroy

Mu

Spin (one way only - my dog channels Zoolander)
Dead dog lite - where she falls over on her side
Dead dog regular - she rolls onto her back and curls her paws up. She's not supposed to move until I release her....which means I can poke her and nudge her with my foot and she just lays there. It's hilarious.
Close doors (on my arm usually lol)
Bow
Sleepy - head on the ground while she's lying down
High five and low five
Roll over

Plus regular obedience stuff - flat, sit, wait, go to your spot, llw, leave it.

Tipper and Murphy are really under trained compared to Mu...lol. Murphy knows shake and show me your belly. Tipper knows high five and low five. Neither of them are as solid on the obedience stuff either but we're getting there. :p

ETA: Oh yeah and I'm working on weaving between my legs with Mu....then I think we'll work on a handstand (pawstand? lol).

adojrts

They all know basic obedience/rally and a couple of them know some other higher skills needed for that.
Agility: Petie, Who, Bobbi, Sprout and Kiah knows some agility. They all know leave it.

Tricks:

Hailey: Sit up, talk, inside voice while talking, back flips (although that is getting to be more of a sideways flip at her advanced age), crawl and sit pretty.

Bobbi: Sit Pretty, Dance, pick and shake a cowbell, sit pretty and shake a cowbell, hold a cowbell and dance at the same time. We haven't done the cowbell stuff in years, he would probably need a refresher. Opens doors although that was taught, need to teach him to close them behind him.

Sprout: no tricks

Kiah: Bring just about anything and its her job (or so she thinks) to find all manner of things and brings them to me, from tacks to bobbi pins and up.

Petie: Back up, leg weave, close doors.

Who: Jiggles the toilet handle to fix it from running, Sticks her tongue out on command, back up, spins, spins right or left while backing up, stick'm up, bang then a slow death (hard to pull that one off with a wagging tail and grin lol), leg weaves.

All kinds of behaviours when free shaping and too many to list for everyone but Hailey.

Dekka

Just try me..
Oh I forgot... Dekka will open a book, flip a few pages then 'read'...

Chewbecca

feel the magic
oh!!!!
I forgot something as well!
Both of my dogs can open doors with turning knobs to some degree.

I didn't teach them this, though, and CERTAINLY try not to reinforce it.

They have their Papa Don to thank for knowing this trick.

Dekka

Just try me..
lol Becca.. I swear the ability to open doors is genetic in some terriers. OMG barrier must past!

Sekah

The Monster.
Last count, Cohen knew 62 cues. Some of these are more situational than "tricks" per se, but then again, everything is a trick to a dog.

New cues:

Weave (through poles), high five, target w/ back legs, around, tug, "through" (reverse weaving through legs), blow bubbles, handstand (still needs refined), go behind, focus forward "watch it".

Previous cues:

Touch, sit, down, speak, come, stand, paw, stay, bang, roll "over", back up, go pee, go to bed, go outside, heel, front, heel in reverse, bow, jump "up", jump "over", jump into "arms", circle, circle in reverse "beep beep", pivot, spin, twist, weave, find a toy, figure "eight", get it, drop it, leave it, table, tunnel, head up, head down, nose bridge "push", pop, beg, balance on back legs "be people", crawl, "cross" paws, "open" door, "close" door, scoot, teeter, walk (obstacle), mark, formal retrieve, out, quiet, limp.

E: Here's a video of some of Cohen's more recent tricks. YouTube - Fun and amazing dog tricks

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
Quinn can:

Come
Sit
Down
Stand
Back up
Wait
Stay (different than wait - used in emergencies or situations where I need her to stay put for awhile)
Settle
Look
Leave it
Drop it
Give it
Grab it
Hustle (hurry up!)
Head down (just learning this, have done a couple sessions)
Target with nose
Target with paw
Shake (paw)
Curtsy (cross paws)
Crawl (just learning this one too)
Spin both ways

Sit can be done in front of me and at a distance. Down can be done in front, at distance, and in motion. So can wait and stay. Back up can be done in front of me and at a distance.

I want to teach her to weave through legs (should be easy, she already weaves through legs when she's excited), cross (same as curtsy, but other foot), smile (when she gets silly she'll wrinkle her nose up and show you her teeth, LOL Dekka's seen a bit of this, but she still won't offer it by herself) next.

Dekka

Just try me..
smile (when she gets silly she'll wrinkle her nose up and show you her teeth, LOL Dekka's seen a bit of this, but she still won't offer it by herself) next.
You should capture this (maybe using a clicker) cause OMG its great!! And could potentially be very useful.

Chewbecca

feel the magic
Oh!
My dogs can "Back".
That is used for times when they like to rush up to the door to be let out, and they get over-excited, and I have to tell them "back.".
They do so, then they get the "wait" command.

You all keep reminding me of things my dogs can do! They can do more than I can remember at one time.

mrose_s

BusterLove
Quinn can do all the basics, sit, come, lie down, etc.

As for tricks she does -

Spin (to the left)
Twist (to the right)
Weave through my legs while I'm standing or walking.
Sit Pretty
Roll on her back
Lie on her side
Jump on my back when I bend over (her new favourite - I have to keep expecting it)
Close the cupboard doors
Retrieve things I point to
Touch my hand with her nose
Spin backwards around me

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
my dogs don't do any tricks lol seriously. They don't do anything other than hold the couches down and clean off the counters :)

MicksMom

Oh geesh, I'm going to forget something. I always do!

Let's see. Commands:
-Sit
-Down
-Stand
-Stay (in all 3 postions)
-Heel (normal, fast and slow pace, circle righ or left, weaving through cones, figure 8)
-Come
-Stay
-Return to heel postion 2 two ways- going around behind me (Heel), and swing around to my left (Get Back)
-Listen (look at me/pay attention)
-Get in (get closer to me)
-Scootch (move up a little while sitting)
-Leave it
- Go in the bathroom
-Get in the tub
-Back up (either while heeling or while in front of me while standing or sitting)

Tricks:
-Paw/shake (left and right)
-Wave (left and right)
-High Five (left and right)
-Find it (either a hidden cookie or a bumper)
-Head down (put his chin on the floor. He will do it from a down, sit and stand)
-Get in the pool
-Get my slipper
-Get the other one (can be anything he just picked up that there's more than one of)
-Pick that up
-Take it to the garbage/laundry
-Bring it here
-Spin (circle to my left either from heel position or in front of me)
-Turn (same as Spin, but going to my right)
-Touch
-Turns his Easy Button on & off (his has barking dogs singing Jingle Bells)
-Play an electronic drum & cymbal

See, I KNEW I was going to forget something! LOL

-Wait (not a serious Stay. More like a pause. I use it before I let him out of the vehicles, among other times.)
-Show me dinner (he touches his dinner dish)
-Show me cookie (he noses the cookie jar. When asked at bedtime, he noses the one with the big cookies in it)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.