TOTW and pups?

Saeleofu

I have a friend with a 6/7 month old dog and they are contemplating feeding TOTW. I remember reading somewhere that that's not the best choice for pups because of the calcium/phos ratio or something. Anyone know any more details? What age would you start TOTW? What would you feed to a pup instead? Thanks!

Saeleofu

I know the bag is labeled for all life stages. But just because you *can* feed it to pups doesn't mean it's a good idea. Ol' Roy is labeled for adult dogs but I still wouldn't feed it to them.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
I think it's a hit or miss, really. I'd say to try it, see how it goes, and go from there. Try the formula with the least amount of protein. I currently am feeding my girls the formula with the MOST amount of protein which I thoroughly have regretted, as it gave Violet AWFUL diarrhea. She is currently eating it with pumpkin mixed in, with no ill effects, and we're going to hopefully try it w/out pumpkin pretty soon here to see how it goes. As soon as the bag is gone, we'll be changing her to something with lower protein (probably TOTW, but I'm not sure - I've been advised for AND against it, so I'm torn right now).

Taste of the Wild is one I have never seen NOT recommended for pups, some others are more iffy. Many danes (who are notorious for growth problems as pups) are being raised on it and doing great.

Saeleofu

Well, I finally found some older posts about Cara and puppy foods and found some recommendations. Fromm, Acana, Solid Gold Wolf Cub, Natural Balance ultra, etc.

Maxy24

I remember reading that one of the formulas has the proper Calcium Phosphorus ratio. I think it's the Sierra Mountain formula I think.

Members online