• Meh don't care

Votes: 31 41.3%
  • I think its silly to try to call them something new

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • chocolate covered raisins.

Votes: 13 17.3%

• Total voters

milos_mommy

I mean, I don't do it, because I think it's not really a cute term. To me "pittie' sounds cuter than "pibble" which rhymes with dribble. And....ibble. I don't know...

It would certainly annoy me if I saw a rescue or something doing it...to me, "pittie" is the equivilent of "rottie" or "golden" or "lab" or "dobe". "Pibble" is just kind of weird.

Also, I always pronounced dobe and dobie the same in my head "Doh-bee". Do people read/say "dobe" to rhyme with "robe"?

I tend to take the context and the user into consideration when I hear or read it. I do, however, tend to tiresomely take every opportunity to remind/instruct people that there is NO SUCH BREED AS A PIT BULL, it's a label used by people who do not know anything at all about APBTs use to lump together anything with a big head, short ears and muscular body, or anything brindle for the purpose of loading fake statistics.

Xandra

I've never heard it in real life and never realized it was a cutesy name... like "dobie" is a little cutesy but dobe is not.

I thought it was how it would sound if you said pit bull really fast... "pibble!!!" not "my liddle widdle pibble" or anything.

I don't like baby talking, but in my head "pibble" isn't soft or cute, it's energetic.

IMHO...To me, "pibbles" and "petbulls" are names for a pit mixes or pet breed pit type dogs. They are not working bred APBTs. It is each owner's personal preference what they want to call their dog.
However, I will not refer to my APBTs or SBTs as "pibbles" or "petbulls" to sugar coat reality to make someone feel more comfortable. I work entirely too hard with my dogs and to help promote a positive breed image, to have them recognized or believed to be something they are not. I have working bred American Pit Bull Terriers and Staffordshire Bull Terriers, and they always will be.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
I just use the term "Pibble" When I am baby talking. I usually try and use the term pit or pitbull.

People call Westhighland White Terriers' Westies all the time. I call my breed Westies all the time too I don't expect other people to say "oh look at that Westhighland White Terrier" its just too long and too hard to say.

Same with calling a Bouvier De Flanders a "Bouve" I dont find offence to it.

I personally find the Term and used the term "dobie or dobe" instead of Doberman because its shorter and easier to say. Not because I find it cutesy. Same with "Rottie or Rott"

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
I thought it was how it would sound if you said pit bull really fast... "pibble!!!" not "my liddle widdle pibble" or anything.

I don't like baby talking, but in my head "pibble" isn't soft or cute, it's energetic.
^This...It's kind of like "ya'll" IMHO--easier than saying "you all."

If I baby talk to Sally I generally use "pittie," as in "my ittybittypitty," etc.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
For me the term has nothing to do with "sugar coating" anything. I never use "pibble" with the general public either, because on the few times I have used the term offhand, I've had to go back and explain what a "pibble" was (it's just annoying), so I use it with people I assume know what I'm talking about.

elegy

overdogged
I do, however, tend to tiresomely take every opportunity to remind/instruct people that there is NO SUCH BREED AS A PIT BULL, it's a label used by people who do not know anything at all about APBTs use to lump together anything with a big head, short ears and muscular body, or anything brindle for the purpose of loading fake statistics.
it's also a commonly used abbreviation of american pit bull terrier used by many many knowledgeable breed people, in the same way that lab is used to signify labrador retriever and westie is used because west highland white terrier is a mouthful.

sure it's used incorrectly and inaccurately by some groups. i don't see that as having anything to do with what the breed is or isn't. just because the teevee is calling a mastiff cross a pit bull doesn't make the pit bull not a pit bull.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
I find it kind of annoying, but I think its cause the people that I meet who call the pibbles seem to be the rainbow unicorn and butterfly types that think every 'pibble' if raised right will love fluffy bunnies and other dogs.
Yeah, I guess that would change the perspective.

its the person using the word who pisses me off more than the word itself
^This^
It all depends on context.

lizzybeth727

Granted, I bet all the Chi people will hate me for this but I call them chih-HOO-uh-HOO-uhs.... it makes me giggle. :)
YES, I HATE "chihHOuhHOOuhs"! I don't get that one.... other nicknames are there so that the breed is quicker/easier to say, but THAT is much longer, there's no point. So there.:cool:

People call Westhighland White Terriers' Westies all the time. I call my breed Westies all the time too I don't expect other people to say "oh look at that Westhighland White Terrier" its just too long and too hard to say.
I usually forget that westies have a "real" name. :)

I ALWAYS shorten weimaraner ("weim") when I'm writing it, because I NEVER spell it right (I googled it just now). But I did make myself learn how to spell dachshund, because I didn't want to shorten it to "doxie" or especially not "weiner dog" and couldn't figure out a better way to shorten it, LOL.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Urban Dictionary: Pibble
A slang term for Pit Bull; makes the dog sound more friendly and cute.

strangely enough its also a term used for semen.. but I'm not even gonna go there

google images found "pibble" as..

it seems to be just a quirky cute nickname owners use..

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
I do, however, tend to tiresomely take every opportunity to remind/instruct people that there is NO SUCH BREED AS A PIT BULL, it's a label used by people who do not know anything at all about APBTs use to lump together anything with a big head, short ears and muscular body, or anything brindle for the purpose of loading fake statistics.
:confused:
I thought APBT was an actual breed, and that "pit bull" was a shortening of the breed name. Is APBT not a breed? They are listed as a breed by UKC, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Statistics are skewed in more ways than misidentification of a dog's breed...and considering I've seen dogs that looked an awful lot like a GoldenPoodleBeagleX called a pit bull in the media, I'd say they don't even go by any appearances when deciding what to call it, but simply base it on what will make for better headlines. :mad: After all, stories about a GoldenXPoodleXBeagle that bit someone just don't sell.

Statistics are also skewed by simply not collecting all of them. How many people report dog bites inflicted by toy breeds when the wound needs nothing more than a bandaid?

Better yet, let's just not even try to identify which breeds are "most likely to bite" and stick with each dog is an individual and they all have teeth and owners need to be responsible and train and contain their dogs and JQP needs to not be stupid about approaching strange dogs and a dog who is aggressive and insufficiently controlled needs to be addressed accordingly regardless of what it looks like. Because in my perfect world, those skewed stats on dog breeds and bites shouldn't matter.

Jules

Magic, motherf@%$*#!
I call T-bone a pibble sometimes, but mostly in a quirky manner... and mostly when I play with her and baby-talk for a shortcut to the zoomies.

I would never talk about someone's dog and address it as a pibble, though.

CaliTerp07

Pibble sounds like pebble...I think it's cute. It's the same to me as rottie or golden or any other shortening. I've never actually used it though. I always say "pittie" in real life.

:confused:
I thought APBT was an actual breed, and that "pit bull" was a shortening of the breed name. Is APBT not a breed? They are listed as a breed by UKC, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Statistics are skewed in more ways than misidentification of a dog's breed...and considering I've seen dogs that looked an awful lot like a GoldenPoodleBeagleX called a pit bull in the media, I'd say they don't even go by any appearances when deciding what to call it, but simply base it on what will make for better headlines. :mad: After all, stories about a GoldenXPoodleXBeagle that bit someone just don't sell.

Statistics are also skewed by simply not collecting all of them. How many people report dog bites inflicted by toy breeds when the wound needs nothing more than a bandaid?

Better yet, let's just not even try to identify which breeds are "most likely to bite" and stick with each dog is an individual and they all have teeth and owners need to be responsible and train and contain their dogs and JQP needs to not be stupid about approaching strange dogs and a dog who is aggressive and insufficiently controlled needs to be addressed accordingly regardless of what it looks like. Because in my perfect world, those skewed stats on dog breeds and bites shouldn't matter.
Yes, APBT is a breed -- a distinct breed. :)

Generic "Pit Bull/Pitbull" is not.

It's amazing how many people truly believe otherwise. The term Pitbull is, correctly used, a type, but BSLers use it as more to load the statistics. They don't lump all Retriever breeds together when developing their numbers, or all Shepherd breeds together, or all wolf-looking guard type dogs (GSD, Belgians, Mals, Akitas, etc.) together in order to escalate the numbers, but they DO lump all Pitbull TYPES together and are using that to do an excellent job of convincing the public that the "Pitbull breed" is dangerous. :(

It sounds like nitpicking, but if you look at the harm these people are doing, people like those at Dogsbite.org, by using that terminology to lie . . .

Members online