Hello! And a question...

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
Hi all - jeepers, it's been a long time since I was here - time flies doesn't it? I haven't deliberately neglected anyone (lol) just had some major life changes and one of them is what I'm back to ask advice about.

I am six months pregnant with our first baby and we are very excited. I've been doing all the `preparation' things with the dogs and am not worried at all that we'll have any problems when bub arrives.

My query is regarding the car.

I have a reasonably small sedan and the dogs have always gone in the back seat when I take them anywhere. Well, now that poses a bit of a problem because obviously I will have the baby capsule in the back and I do wonder if it's not good parenting to have the baby and the dogs in the back at the same time. It won't happen often - but it will be a reasonably regular thing.

We may end up just having to get a new car, but budgets are tight and we'd like to avoid that if possible. I have looked into getting special crates for them but they're big dogs and there won't be enough room in the back to do that. The crate people I spoke to suggested that I harness the dogs to the car doors and that way they won't be able to bother the baby. But I don't think that sounds very safe for the dogs so I had a couple of questions.

First and foremost - am I just in la-la land thinking it might be ok to have all three in the back at once? Is this terrible and should I just get a new car, period?

Secondly, if it did seem to be ok to have them all in the back, do you think their normal car harnesses would be secure enough so that they couldn't bother the baby?

Lastly, has anyone heard of any kind of cover or insert that we could use either in the back as a barrier or over the baby's capsule so that the dogs couldn't get to her?

These are serious questions - even if you think I'm mad please tell me in a nice way! I'm just trying to work out the best thing for all involved.

Thanks in advance :)

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I think some kind of barrier would be best. I wouldn't think it was safe to have two dogs and a baby in the back seat together really. Anything can happen and I just wouldn't risk it.

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
There are a couple backseat barrier products like this... this one is just the first I found:

http://www.kurgo.com/products/bsb.html?gclid=CLjtxfW7y5ICFQnOIgod2RFVZA

It divides front seat from backseat, and has an optional partition that can also limit dogs to one half of the backseat. (There is even a picture towards the bottom of the page with a child and a dog riding together.)

Hope that helps! Good luck!

EDIT: Here's another link that sort of shows how the divider attaches. Dunno if that would be enough to hold your dogs, but maybe that with a doggy seatbelt harness would do the trick?
http://www.topoftheline.com/auto-pet-dog-barrier.html

Last edited:

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Ruby! Nice to see you! :)

Is this the only car you have?

I think a barrier would be very important. You wouldn't want the dogs to somehow knock into the baby if you had to slam on your brakes or what not. What kind of car do you own?

Barb04

Super Moderator
I looked at the barrier for the back seat but what would stop one of the dogs from putting their front legs over if they saw something outside that window where the baby is? I really think a SUV or mini-van would be better so you could separte the dogs in the back row and then the baby gets the next row behind you.

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
I looked at the barrier for the back seat but what would stop one of the dogs from putting their front legs over if they saw something outside that window where the baby is? I really think a SUV or mini-van would be better so you could separte the dogs in the back row and then the baby gets the next row behind you.
That's my one concern, too. The divider doesn't look particularly sturdy (hard to say from just the pictures) or all that tall. That's why I thought a doggy seatbelt at the same time would probably be best.

I dunno. I saw that in a SkyMall magazine a couple weeks ago and thought it was interesting... then when I saw this thread it reminded me of it. :)

DaVinci

Well when I had my son 16yrs ago I also had two dogs that rode in the back seat. I had a boat of a car two door model. I didn't even think of a barrier I just put my baby and the dogs in the back and we went all over the place. I didn't have any trouble with them sitting on him or even trying to knock him around.

How well mannered are you pups in the car?

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
There are a couple backseat barrier products like this... this one is just the first I found:

http://www.kurgo.com/products/bsb.html?gclid=CLjtxfW7y5ICFQnOIgod2RFVZA

It divides front seat from backseat, and has an optional partition that can also limit dogs to one half of the backseat. (There is even a picture towards the bottom of the page with a child and a dog riding together.)

Hope that helps! Good luck!

EDIT: Here's another link that sort of shows how the divider attaches. Dunno if that would be enough to hold your dogs, but maybe that with a doggy seatbelt harness would do the trick?
http://www.topoftheline.com/auto-pet-dog-barrier.html
Wow that's amazing! That's exactly what I'm looking for! Thank you - I've contacted them already to see if they will ship to Australia.

The dogs are very well behaved and well mannered in the car. They would not attempt to breach any kind of barrier and would sit quietly. Especially as they would have their seatbelts on, too. A visual barrier is enough for them - they never try to jump over, pull down or get around fencing. We've trained them that a barrier is a barrier and that's that. They're really good in that regard.

I put up a baby gate to the bub's room already, so they get used to not being allowed in there before she arrives, and they're so funny. They don't even try. They just sit behind it and look forlornly at you like you've insulted them by putting it there. It's very cute :D

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
Wow that's amazing! That's exactly what I'm looking for! Thank you - I've contacted them already to see if they will ship to Australia.
I'm glad that I could help! If you get one, let me know what you think of it. I'm thinking of getting one for my car, but we don't have as pressing of a need for it right now. :)

Good luck!

bubbatd

Good to see you and congratulations on the little one !!! I was going to suggest a gate or even put the baby in a crate ( could work ! ) but seems like others covered it a !!!

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
Hey Grammy! Nice to be back.

A crate!!! LOL. That's funny. I should do that.

A few weeks ago my brother was over with his wife and daughter and I looked out the back at the doggies and said `I wonder how my children are doing?'. He said `You won't be able to call them that after a few weeks' and I was like, `Er, why? They ARE our children. This baby will simply be our third child'.

He didn't really get it - I'd love to see his face if I told him we had a crate for the baby! :D

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Looks like everyone has covered the suggestions, but its good to see you back :D

Congrats on the little one :)

Staff online

Members online