Compact guard dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FaceZ Of DeaTh

Not to many people know about this breed. If you like guard dogs but are a fun of the toy breeds this could be the dog 4 you. I dont like small dogs but i just wanted to see if you guys know about schipperkes. They weigh in at 12-16 pounds and have a greater protection ability than a boxer. I couldn't believe my eyes when i saw this on a website (animal planet dog breed directory). Anybody wanna clear up this situation for me.

I've actually met a couple of Schipperkes. A man was sitting on the tailgate of his SUV waiting for his wife to finish her grocery shopping and he had a pair sitting there with him. They got the two from a Schipperke rescue organization and he really enjoyed telling me about them. When his wife came out a few minutes later she jumped in and talked about what marvelous watchdogs they were; alert, smart and fearless and really quite tough little dogs. One of their jobs is guarding the barges transporting goods on the rivers in northern Europe.

I thought they were neat little dogs.

F

FaceZ Of DeaTh

yep they were made small so they could guard boats just like u said. but they are stupid lil dogs and realy hard to train.

The couple I talked to had owned several different breeds of dogs and they said the Schipperkes were among the cleverest and quickest to train. It's like everything else; it's going to depend on the dog and the owner.

These two were very well mannered and responded instantly when the owners spoke to them.

RD

Are you dead yet?
I met a Schippy awhile back at an agility show, AWESOME little dog, had a personality a lot like Ripley's. Very fiesty, very smart, and VERY fast, he gave those border collies a run for their money. :D
They are an effective guard dog, I've seen some in schutzhund even. :p

pitbulliest

FaceZ Of DeaTh said:
yep they were made small so they could guard boats just like u said. but they are stupid lil dogs and realy hard to train.
Can you ever post..and i mean EVER, without having to insult a certain breed? This is becoming very insulting and frustrating for some of the people here, and I would very much appreciate if you stopped calling certain dogs stupid, dumb, ugly, etc... please and thank you.

Don't insult people's dogs just because they aren't yours.

LaylaMuddy

Show Quality Weimaraners!
Can you ever post..and i mean EVER, without having to insult a certain breed? This is becoming very insulting and frustrating for some of the people here, and I would very much appreciate if you stopped calling certain dogs stupid, dumb, ugly, etc... please and thank you.
I agree PitBulliest.
I've groomed & trained many Schippys over the years.They are one of the smartest,sweetest little dogs I have ever been around...I personally take offense to the fact of you calling them dumb.

F

FaceZ Of DeaTh

layla ur not a moderator.... animal planet dog breeed directory says there a 1 out of 5 for trainibility lol go to the site lol

RD

Are you dead yet?
Who cares if she's not a moderator, do you have to be a moderator to take offense to what you said?
AND OH MY GOD.. You are REALLY starting to piss me off. You judge the intelligence of an ENTIRE BREED based on what an ANIMAL PLANET QUIZ TELLS YOU?? :mad: :eek:

In case you didn't know, which you obviously don't, the breed quizzes are all a matter of someone's personal opinion. If you look on other breed quizzes, some will say that the schhippies are HIGHLY trainable. :rolleyes:

But seriously, stop bashing other people's breeds. What is it... Every dog that isn't one of your dog's breeds deserves to be called stupid, vicious or ugly? Puh-lease. :rolleyes:

FaceZ Of DeaTh said:
layla ur not a moderator.... animal planet dog breeed directory says there a 1 out of 5 for trainibility lol go to the site lol
It's not necessary for someone to be a moderator to take offense and tell you that they've taken offense, as long as they do it within the parameters of normal forum etiquette.

The difference that comes into play with a moderator is being able to edit offensive posts, suspend and ban incorrigibly offensive posters.

Basing your opinions of dogs on a quiz offered by Animal Planet makes as much sense as someone ditching her boyfriend because of a quiz taken in Cosmo or because of advice from Miss Cleo. (Remember her? :rolleyes: )

It is also true that very intelligent dogs are often much more difficult to train than more complacent dogs less apt to think independently.

You obviously want to know about different breeds of dogs; why don't you just ask questions instead of using arguments and insults to get information?

bogolove

Renee750il said:
It is also true that very intelligent dogs are often much more difficult to train than more complacent dogs less apt to think independently.
LOL! Brady must be the smartest dog in the world!
;) I am just kidding, he is so smart just very stubborn!

Sorry I didn't mean to change the subject, I was just trying to have a little fun. :)

FacezofDeath - learning is Great! criticizing is not....just ask questions you really want to know the answers to and keep out opinions and you will be fine.

RD

Are you dead yet?
They look like a tiny, tailless version of my Shiner dog.

Arkady

Temperament

The Schipperke are quick, energetic little dogs. This is a big dog in a little dog's body. Hot-tempered, high-spirited, self-confident and protective. They are wary of strangers and may seem somewhat aloof, but are actually very devoted and loyal, especially with children. It really bonds to its master. Determined and alert, the Schipperke will defend its territory, whether it is an apartment or a piece of land, against both two-legged and four-legged intruders. If someone new visits, they will adopt a watchful position. Pet cats will be happily accepted and they are usually good with other dogs. They are very smart, curious and mischievous. Can be willful, but is usually easy to train as it is intelligent and eager to learn. The Schipperke likes to howl and bark. These dogs do exceptionally well on boats. Among the Schipperke's best qualities are the ability to defend its home against intruders - backing down from nobody, and of being an excellent friend to children. Some can be difficult to housebreak.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/schipperke.htm

F

FaceZ Of DeaTh

its not the quiz on animal planet its the dog breed directory and we all know a border collie is smarter than a siberian husky certain thing are obvious

Arkady

FaceZ Of DeaTh said:
FaceZ Of DeaTh, dude (actually in the begining I was under impression that you were teenage girl) ... really how old are you? ... my guess is about 15.. 17 tops. Anyway... thats not the point ... teh point is you should try to "show off" a bit less. In your first msg you ask about the Schipperke ... because you do NOT know about the breed, presumably right?. And then in your next msg you come out with straight up statement qouted above, as if you are an expert. Doesn't make any sence. You ask a question, and then you answer it yourself, what is that all about? Now I dont beleive you have just made what you said up. My asumption is that you have read something like that somewhere, although Im sure they didn't call the breed stupid. So if you so badly wanted to tell everyone what you said, you should have started it something like this "I have recently read (or heard) in such and such, implying that this breed is such and such ...". My point is ... even if what you said about the Schipperke is true, which is probably not (I am not an expert either), don't try to pass it as if it is you who has the say so abo
ut the breed ... because as you have implied by starting this thred, yo dont know jack! ... In fact you were ASKING for help. It almost seems that when you ask a question, you alredy expect a certain answer, and when teh answer is not what you would like it to be, you start "misbehaving". Get a life!

Last edited by a moderator:

RD

Are you dead yet?
Thank you Arkady...

FaceZ Of DeaTh said:
its not the quiz on animal planet its the dog breed directory and we all know a border collie is smarter than a siberian husky certain thing are obvious
Actually, Siberians are very smart, but since they are not uber-obedient like the BC, many people think that they are unintelligent. Some of the smartest dogs don't CARE what you want them to do, simply BECAUSE of their intelligence. They are 'thinkers'.

For example, a Siberian Husky or, Renee would know this one, a Fila Brasileiro, will actually THINK about what you tell them to do, and weigh the benefits vs. consequences before obeying or blowing off a command. THAT is intelligence. Not saying that Border Collies AREN'T inteligent, but they are *in general* much more willing to please. (Tell that to my dominant little control freak. ;))

By the way, FOD, how old are you? I'm just curious, 'cause I can picture you about my age.. (14-15) Not meaning to insult you if you are older, though. ;)

F

FaceZ Of DeaTh

dude my age doesnt matter. by the way im 10. and a lot smarter for my age than you old uneducated geesers. what does age have to to do with a dog breed discusion.

Arkady

:) You funny. With the discusion, nothing. But with the way one handels the discusion, everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.