Measured Food Portions versus 24/7-All-They-Can-Eat Buffet.

fish

Hi everyone,

I though I would ask another question. We have raised our pup, to this point, based on regular meals and specific limited quantities, usually based on the food manufacturer's recommendations (we use Fromm's). In addition, Haiku gets lots of treats during the day as he responds and learns his obedience and tricks.

However, as mentioned in a previous thread ("Puppy Aggression"), he has these aggressive moments. Maybe this is naive, but I wonder if there is a connection between persistent hunger and the desire to eat socks and other non-edible items. Two of Haiku's siblings have been brought up with infinite food supply, deciding for themselves when and how much they want to eat. Neither of them have the same aggressive issues and both of them are healthy sizes and do not gorge themselves when eating. Is it reasonable to assume that these may be related? Is it possible he is eating these things, not out of puppy curiousity, but out of legitimate hunger?

We have heard not a single person recommend that allowing the dog continuous access to limitless food is a good idea. But, does anyone have experience with this? Has anyone had experience with switching from fixed mealtimes/quantities to the All-you-can-eat, when-you-want style feeding? The thought has crossed our minds to give it a try, but maybe it is now too late, and he would devour all that is there.

Thanks for the input in advance!

fish

Sorry!

This should have gone in a different section of the forum and I don't know how to move it. Ooops.

Not many dogs can handle it without becoming obese. When Bimmer was my only dog I could do that with him, and he really prefers grazing to eating a meal all at once, but now he has to eat his meal - it wouldn't be around long with Shiva and Kharma :eek:

Members online

No members online now.