Giant Schnauzer or Husky?

Invisible

Hello, I am looking into getting a dog. I am 14 years right now and am very interested in either a husky (or husky mix) or a giant schnauzer. I really like the look of both breeds! I know that isn't the most important thing about dogs, but it is the thing that caught my eye.
I have met a husky at the Humane Society I was volunteering at and it was the sweetest things. Do they generally have good temperments? Ok so I did some reasearch on Husky's and I know that they are escape artists and can be very stubborn. Plus they shed tons! Is there anything else I need to know about these breeds?

I also like the Giant Schnauzer. I don't know a lot about this breed so any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Oh and my family and I are very athletic. I go jogging at least 2 miles a day so I would be able to give which ever dog I get a lot of excercise. And money is no problem. I already looked for a vet in my area and found a very nice little vet clinic that now a lot about dogs and cares for all kinds.

Thanks

ohmai

If you're getting a husky pup, I've heard that they can be hard to train, seeing as they will only listen to you if they see a reason to it. They're destructive when they're bored, or on their own, they've been known to chew expensive furniture to junk! Also, Husky's are likely to test their dominance, position in your family. So if you're evasive with them, they may believe they are higher than you; Alpha.

Invisible

I have been looking at the Humane Society I volunteer at for a year now and they haven't had a single husky or schnauzer. They had a few husky mix's, but they had some aggresion issues.

Invisible

Yes it will be my first dog, but my dad has owned a lot of dogs in the past. I know he has owned a Husky before. He told me he had a Irish Wolfhound when I was young and it passed away. After that they didn't have time to get another one, but we decided since I wanted one it would be a good time. My mom has also had dogs before, but they were mainly small dogs.

A Husky can be a handful, especially as a pup. So many Huskies and Huskey mixes end up being discarded to shelters because people take on more than they can handle with these dogs, especially as pups, and they grow up with all sorts of issues. Another problem is that so many people fall in love with the looks and there are far too many unscrupulous backyard breeders out there who are more than willing to fill the demand for "pretty dogs" at the cost of health and temperament.

Stop and really consider: what is it you like so much about these dogs other than the looks? Answer yourself honestly. You don't have to tell us if you don't want.

There are a lot of advantages to adopting a dog that's past the house training and gnawing puppy stage.

Invisible

Yes I do prefer big dogs. :)

I don't mind if it isn't a puppy. Even an older dog would be great, but I do have my heart set on a husky or giant schnauzer. Does anyone know of maybe a rescue or seomthing in that nature that would have a husky or giant schnauzer for adoption in the california area?

Plus I really need to decide on which breed I want.

Ok So husky's are very energetic which so am I, I want to get into some kind of sport, I would like a dog that would give love and affection (I know all dogs are pretty much like that) but aren't tooo cuddly. I like how smart both of these breeds are and how powerful they are. I would also like to get into some kind of sport with my dog. I have plenty of time and devotion for regular grooming, excercise, and training. Classes if needed won't be a problem either.

Umm anything else I need to answer?

poeluvr

didnt know there was such thing thought standards were the same as giant...hold on ill find something...im sure you can to...i just like to feel useful

Invisible

Actually I am looking more into a rescue rather than a breeder. So if you know of a rescue for them in Ca. that would be helpful :)

poeluvr

Breed Group: Working
Weight: 65-90
Height: male: 25.5-27.5, female: 23.5-25.5
Color(s): solid black or pepper and salt
Coat: The usual color is salt-and-pepper. a dark face is desirable.
Overview: The Giant Schnauzer's main occupation today is as a police dog. He is a bold, strong, smart dog who does best with a serious, experienced, and confident owner. With solid obedience training, he will reward you with loyalty and obedience.
Character: This breed is alert, watchful and does not like to wander. It bonds closely with its family.
Temperament: This dog gets along well with children, other dogs, and any household pets. It tends toward shyness around strangers.
Care: Coat must be plucked twice yearly. Excessive hair in feet pads and in the ears must be trimmed. Long hairs around the face must be combed occasionally.
Training: Must be consistent, fair, and full of variety. It has its own agenda so it may not wish to follow every single command.
Activity: The Giant Schnauzer needs plenty of outdoor exercise.
Ownership: If you are looking for Giant Schnauzer puppies for sale from reputable Giant Schnauzer breeders or to adopt a Giant Schnauzer from a Giant Schnauzer rescue then make sure you understand as much about the dog breeds you are interested in as you can. Every puppy breed is different. Begin your research by reading the breed information about the Giant Schnauzer puppy above. Search our dog breeds section to find Giant Schnauzer puppies, dogs and puppies that make great pets.
got this from another site

Members online

No members online now.