Any tips on grooming 13wk pup?

J

john doe iii

My pups hair is growing out of control. She is a mix of pekingese/poodle.... since she is too young to take to my local groomer (they require rabie shot first) I would like to give her a trim with my har clippers.... do you have any tips on keeping her still and stuff? Or anything on what I should or shouldnt cut?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

showpug

You only have 3 weeks to wait before your pup can get the rabies vaccine. I would wait and have a pro do the first clip. It helps set the style and mold for the future clips and there is nothing cuter than a pup's first trip to the groomers!:)

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I agree with Showpug. But even without the haircut, she looks addorable! Like one of those little stuffed Fluppy Dogs I used to have as a kid.

showpug

Gempress said:
I agree with Showpug. But even without the haircut, she looks addorable! Like one of those little stuffed Fluppy Dogs I used to have as a kid.
I agree, I personally love dogs with wild hair LOL! Funny that I have pugs, but it really is my second obsession.

TheWonderPuppies

Pres. Of Gutter Club.....
Iwould wait the first trim can make hr either terrified of clippers or make her get used to them I would let the proffesionals do it since they have more experiance so she might not be so scared.( i love her wild hair and she is addorable)

A real easy way to get her used to the sound and vibration of the clippers is to use an electric toothbrush or mens razor or anything like that. Rub it all over her face and body, so that when she goes in and gets the "real" deal, its not so scary.

bubbatd

Don't tease us !! Not same dog ! I agree with the above and Groom's suggestion of the sound and vibration. This is something every breeder whose breed will be groomed with clippers to start early when working on socialization. Same with hair dryers set on warm and low.

Last edited:

Madaline

Its best to get them used to baths and grooming as much as you can when they are really young. Here we can take them before they are finished all their shots I took Madeline for her first grooming at around 14 weeks (we dont have to wait until they have had all their shots here) But before that I had bathed her a few times and brushed her everyday, so she is really used to it. When you take your puppy in they usually just bath them, clean up their face, their bum area and clean up the hair between their pads. Our groomers recommend you take them in quite a few times before they actually ever do a serious cut so they get used to it. Madeline hair grows like a weed, so I am trimming her and brushing her every day. You have to be careful their fur doesnt matt, being part poodle it probably will so you have to brush them regularily or it will have to be shaved all off.

Members online