New to this site, from Oregon

I am new to this site. I am buying a new little puppie she is a Bocker, she is only 4wks old so I won't have her for another 2wks. She has the same coloring as a Rottie. I haven't named her yet. Once I get to know her I will name her. ;)

Juicy

6wks. old is too young for it too be away from its mother, best age is 8wks.
Congrats on your new puppy. And please don't get ripped off by people who charge more for these ''designer breeds'', these dogs are mutts, but people just charge more for them, and make up fancy names. Welcome to chaz.

Welcome! Like others have said your puppy should not leave her mother until she is 8 weeks. JMO, I feel 12 weeks is even better since I've read somewhere (can't remember the source) that what ever scares a pup at 8 weeks will remain with it for the rest of its life. But 8 weeks is normally the soonest a responsible breeder/rescue will let his/her puppies leave.​

I agree 8 weeks is the youngest a little puppy should leave its mummy - 6 weeks IMHO is to early, the puppy is learning the basic behavioral patterns specific to dogs, its also the time that the mummy dog teaches the pups good manners and disciplines the bad manners.

This might explain it better (taken from http://www.doberman.org/articles/puppy.htm)
"If a pup has not learned to accept leadership (and discipline) in its early interactions with dogs, its training will be more difficult. Puppies that are removed from the nest too early tend to be nervous, more prone to barking and biting, and less responsive to discipline. Often they are aggressive with other dogs. Generally speaking, a puppy taken away from it's mother and litter mates before seven weeks of age, may not realize its full potential as a dog and companion. To maximize the mental and psychological development of puppies, they must remain in the nest with their mother and litter mates until seven weeks of age."

another great site that takes you through a pups critical periods in development is:http://www.ccc.govt.nz/animals/CriticalPuppyDevelopment.asp

Even though it quotes until seven weeks of age, i still think you should ask the breeder keeps your puppy with the mother until 8 weeks if this possible?

Hope this heaps - Goodluck with your new baby and cant wait to see some piccies.

Hi & welcome to Chazhound!! I'm also in Oregon.:)

I would wait until the puppy is at least 8 weeks old to take her home. Good luck and congrats!!

Members online

No members online now.