Changing dog "owner" to dog "guardian"

Adjecyca1

I've been seeing this pop up all over facebook. I'm sorry but i really don't think changing a word, is going to make people not abuse or neglect their animals..
Check out their pledge lol :

Call myself and others "guardian" rather than “ownerâ€
Make a lifetime commitment to my animal companions
Adopt animals only never buy or sell
Spay or neuter my animal companions for their health and to prevent overpopulation
Provide nutritious food, fresh water and daily exercise for my animal companions
Care for the emotional needs of my animal companions
Refer to my animal companions as “he†or “she,†not “itâ€
This is their site :http://www.guardiancampaign.com/

BostonBanker

I am a dog owner, my dogs are my possessions, and my possessions are protected by laws.

I'm not going to give that up so that someone can feel warm and fuzzy about calling themselves a guardian.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
I think that changing owner to guardian to be all PC comes with crossing a line from animal welfare to animal rights. You're the guardian of kids, not dogs. And yeah, my dogs are my stuff and therefore protected. We're all good. ;)

I think it's a terrible idea. The idea of dogs as property, while it has its flaws, also grants our relationship a tremendous amount of legal protections I don't want to give up.

Airn

Whatever floats your boat, I guess. Gwen doesn't care if I call her "it" or if I refer to myself as her owner. She really doesn't care. :rolleyes:

JacksonsMom

Meh. It doesn't really bother me either way. I don't use the term 'owner' a lot but it's not really because it bothers me or anything, it just... doesn't come up that way usually. And despite my username, I don't call myself a 'mom' either unless it's like in joking fashion or light heartedness or whatever. I think guardian is a fine word but I don't see the need to 'promote' such a thing as if being an 'owner' is soooo terrible. I just don't really care what you call yourself.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
The terms don't bother me. I could really care less what you call yourself. What bothers me is the legal ramifications and the rights I would loose as a "guardian" vs owner.

Keechak

Aussie Obssessed
My dogs are mine, I own them. I do not own a child I can't choose what kind of education a child gets but I can choose for my dogs. But I'm positive if you asked my dogs they would say I'm their slave.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I am a dog owner, my dogs are my possessions, and my possessions are protected by laws.

I'm not going to give that up so that someone can feel warm and fuzzy about calling themselves a guardian.
^ This.

My dogs are mine. My property. I can treat them like members of the family and dote on them without having to call them my "children", or that I am their "guardian". They are MINE.

Call myself and others "guardian" rather than “ownerâ€
Make a lifetime commitment to my animal companions
Adopt animals only never buy or sell
Spay or neuter my animal companions for their health and to prevent overpopulation
Provide nutritious food, fresh water and daily exercise for my animal companions
Care for the emotional needs of my animal companions
Refer to my animal companions as “he†or “she,†not “it
^ And I have so many issues with some of those statements. Actually, all of them, except "Make a lifetime commitment to my animal companions", and "I will provide nutritious food, fresh water, and daily exercise".

OwnedByBCs

Will Creep For Sheep
No. I own my dogs. I buy and sell dogs, I haven't adopted a dog (although I have fostered) in many, many years. I keep my dogs in tact, and I can call them whatever the hell I want.

My dogs live a **** good life, they're fine with me "owning" them. The way I see it, if they were just "friends" or "partners"- I wouldn't be providing them with free food and a place to live. The trade off for getting everything they need when they need it is that I get final say in the rules, and I get to put silly hats on them and they can't say a **** thing about it.

Flyinsbt

Nope. I own my dogs. I'm not their guardian, I'm not just taking care of them temporarily until they strike out on their own, or someone else takes them over. They belong to me, and I have full responsibility for them, until they die.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Sooo... does being a "guardian" give someone the right to make the decision to surgically remove another being's reproductive organs? Because that's basically done for the "guardian's" convenience.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
I own my dogs. Guardian and companion replacing owners is just a bunch of treehugging BS done by AR idiots that happens to fit well into the marketing emotional to get you to buy more BS championed by retailers like petco and petsmart. So hand in hand they skip down the path of this marketing stupidity and we are sure to see more crap marketed to guardians and for our canine companions. I already get mail for the parent and guardian of Booker like I am getting my kid's report card.

I buy dogs. I raise dogs. I breed dogs. I sell dogs. They are not my mute furry children. I may love them but without a doubt they are domestic animals living a pretty rad life with me as their owner.

In context of this dogs vs child thing, if I hit your idiot kid with my car after he darts out into traffic there is a good chance I may be facing jail time. If I hit your dog after he darts out into traffic there is a good chance you will be paying my insurance premium.

No sane person thinks a dog equals a child.

Paviche

Duuuuude.

Yep, this.

My dogs live a **** good life, they're fine with me "owning" them. The way I see it, if they were just "friends" or "partners"- I wouldn't be providing them with free food and a place to live. The trade off for getting everything they need when they need it is that I get final say in the rules, and I get to put silly hats on them and they can't say a **** thing about it.

I want a version of this painted on a canvas displayed in my living room, either in old-timey sepia tones or garish bright colors. No joke. And I'd love the quote beneath it, engraved in metal, but really all I need is the painting. Thanks. :D

Members online

No members online now.