Still pondering small breeds...

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
So, we're still really toying with what small dog we want.

Here are the needs...

Small, I'm thinking at least lap size but if it fits on a plane it'd be a welcome perk.

However, not too fragile, we have and will continue having rough and tough malinois who'll probably bowl said dog over here and there.

Maybe the 10-15 lb range?

We're looking for good with dogs. Cats aren't an issue, we're cool with prey drive and killing of fuzzies. Good with strangers isn't a huge issue but we don't do well with nervous alert barking.

Of course drivey, biddable, sportable, and fun to play with is great but a strong cuddle and chill off switch is more important.

I think grooming isn't an issue but I'm very inept so anything too unforgiving may be over my head.

Breeds we're strongly considering...

Rat terrier, problem is I'm not sure I know who to buy from anymore, I've lost track of the breed and I know there is a ton of shyness insecurity in the breed which I don't want. Hannah, my 13 year old, is perfection but her breeder doesn't breed anymore and I'm now sure about tracking down the lines. Plus I'm still not sure I don't want something a bit smaller, she's 25 lbs.

Border terrier, they seem pretty much perfect for what we're considering but I'm still trying to be sure.

Other recommendations?

My boston really was a tiny pit bull when she was younger, stafinois can attest to it! If you find a good boston, they are all the things you listed. Pixie isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, but what she lacks in brain she makes up in drive and heart.

With that said, i have no idea where i would go to get another. Pixie was from some ranch in NorCal and she has horrid knees and bronchial issues. Show dogs are mostly small and fragile, byb dogs are full of attitude and health issues. One day i'll bred some healthy sport bostons, until then, i got nuffin :-(

stafinois

Professional Nerd
My boston really was a tiny pit bull when she was younger, stafinois can attest to it! If you find a good boston, they are all the things you listed. Pixie isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, but what she lacks in brain she makes up in drive and heart.

It's true. She even bloodied Grant's face once. It made him fall in love with her even more. Although Emma came along and stole his heart, he still stares fondly at Bostons.

I did come across a website of performance, health tested Bostons in my neck of the woods. Can't remember the kennel name, though.

I did come across a website of performance, health tested Bostons in my neck of the woods. Can't remember the kennel name, though.
If you ever remember, please let me know! i'd love to train a little boston in agility, and could you envision Pix at a barn hunt?! She'd be better than Em!

Ok, so i have my heart breed and my portable breed, now i just need to pick a guardian/easy to compete with breed!

If you join the "health tested puppies from conscientious breeders" we have Meta on there planning a GREAT Rattie litter in the coming months.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Patterdale? Or would they have a potential to be too dog aggressive?

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
American hairless terrier? They come in hairy too.
Denis has boycotted anything hairless, although I have considered an AHT. They're just a variant of RTs though so my like is obvious. I do worry about their warmth on trips to AK though, now that we're closer we plan to visit AK more often, the trip will be far less expensive and time consuming than it was from Las Vegas. Hence the plane size being a perk.

Really small Malinois?
You missed the cuddling and off switch... right? :p

How about a nice working bred Jagd?
I don't know the first thing about that breed... I'll have to look them up.

With that said, i have no idea where i would go to get another. Pixie was from some ranch in NorCal and she has horrid knees and bronchial issues. Show dogs are mostly small and fragile, byb dogs are full of attitude and health issues. One day i'll bred some healthy sport bostons, until then, i got nuffin :-(
I've toyed with the boston idea but I'm not sold on snub nose dogs.

It's true. She even bloodied Grant's face once. It made him fall in love with her even more. Although Emma came along and stole his heart, he still stares fondly at Bostons.

If you remember I'd love to know.

A jack! I know a lady ;)
I'm intimidated that a jack will be wild with no cuddling off-switch. LOL Funny coming from a malinois owner but the reality is I have one nutterfutz dog named Backup and basically I want a mini Sloan, she's easy going, can play with dogs, is driven and can work in any drive, can meet strangers and although aloof she's stable and confident, she also can chill and sleeps with us/can be left loose, etc.

As for Jacks will they be good with dogs and do they have a down time chill/cuddle talent? I'm sure the rest would apply. Plus I want a puppy and I want a girl but we're closing on a house/remodeling a kitchen in a few weeks meaning my puppy funds are low so I was shooting for spring to have the money again so the timing may be off.

Ok, so i have my heart breed and my portable breed, now i just need to pick a guardian/easy to compete with breed!
LOL

Patterdale? Or would they have a potential to be too dog aggressive?
I'm really not sure, I'm avoiding the very dog v dog tenacious terriers. I was told it's safer to look for breeds bred to work in packs so rat terriers and border terriers top my list with that.

It's a really important aspect for me because we have a house with 4 dogs who can all be pushy and rude but they all get along within reason, I don't want to disturb that. And while we crate everyone when we're gone, for safety, I want to stack the cards in my favor of not ending up in a c/r lifestyle again like I have been before with so many of my fosters.

milos_mommy

A JRT will have WAY more of an off switch than a Malinois, and if you get an adult from a foster home or a puppy from well-known lineage, your risk of severe DA is going to be pretty minimal, no worse than a Boston or other terrier-type.

Every JRT I've ever known (including my extremely unstable, very very very high energy, puppy mill jack), LOVES to chill out and cuddle with enough exercise. And whatever exercise you're giving pit bulls and mals will be more than enough.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I can hook you up with a superb Rattie ;)
I'd love to know where from. Hannah, my RT is a deckers giant from Fire Mountain. She was a fluke gift from my boss who'd bought her for hearing work but couldn't keep her due to a divorce. I really would love a little clone of her. She's a bit larger than I want at about 25 lbs but most everything else in her temperament was perfection.

For good measure...

She lives with my parents now, she started having seizures around 3 and after that she began having a lot of trouble with change. I tried taking her to my house when I moved a few times but it was always too stressful for her.

Cardi4851

I know they are bigger than what you were looking for, but my lighter boned Cardi fits everything else you want. He's about 25 lbs for reference and a little bit leggier and sportier than some you see. But he is very drivey, and he's done very well in agility, but has an off switch at home. He is very cuddly, and we haven't had a problem with barking (although we were very diligent from the beginning on this one.) Again, probably not the direction you want to go, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
What about a Westie, because they are pretty much perfection. They have great off switches, lots of prey, and toy drive. Some have a degree of DA, but mainly they just won't put up with ****. Teagan is great with other dogs, unless they are rude, but she just tells them to f-off with a growl and a lip curl. I can trust her around other dogs pretty much always.

They make great adventure buddies, heck we took Teagan everywhere with us this summer, which included back country hiking, boat camping, camping in the rain. ect

They have great off switches and love, LOVE to cuddle, but still are independent and are free thinkers, yet still handler orientated.

Now, I think the issue is finding a breeder, I still have not found one that I love yet, but that does not mean they are out there, plus I think you would be able to find an awesome one in the shelter. If that's the route you want to go.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I am not looking for a rescue at this time, I'm not opposed but in an effort to set my household up for the best chance possible I'm looking for a well bred puppy.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Clearly, you need a Webster.

Everyone needs a Webster ;)

Members online

No members online now.