Car Suggestions

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Haven't read the whole thread just wanted to share an interesting story about v70s....

My brother in law used to work for a car dealership. When that program to turn in old "inefficient" cars/suvs was in effect, they'd kill the cars by pouring some sort of substance into the engine, then running it until the engines failed - like car euthanasia.

Well, whenever they'd get a v70 turned in to be "euthanized" .... those engines would run and run and run and run. One even ran more than 20 minutes before it died.

My brother in law went out and bought a v70 for himself after that. :)

noludoru

Bored Now.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Id go test drive those first and last for sure, but I'm a Jeep kind of person lol.

And if you get the last one, we'll almost have matching Jeeps lol

Zoom

Twin 2.0
If you're going to get a Jeep, make sure it's the 4.0L engine. That's probably the best engine they ever made.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
If you're going to get a Jeep, make sure it's the 4.0L engine. That's probably the best engine they ever made.
I think that's been stated before, but for sure. The 4.0 Inline 6 is a beast of an engine. That's all I ever hear from anyone, and I've seen it proved time and again on the Jeep forum.

A lot of Jeep guys want the v8 engine that the Grand Cherokees came with, and I have no idea why. I would never want a v8 in an already heavy vehicle, unless I was planning on towing a trailer or boat often. Talk about a gas hog. And my IL6 will tow a boat just fine, and if I felt like installing the interior braking system for the horse trailer, it could tow that just fine as well. (Granted, it IS a smaller two horse trailer)

I don't know about the Cherokees, but I don't think the Grands (hereafter referred to by their factory designation of ZJ) came with a 4 banger in them.

I know that TJs and YJs came with 4 cylinder engines in them, but I've drive a few, and they have no power at all. Like, none. But I'm used to the IL6 engine, so that could have colored my perception.

And I just love how this has almost turned into a Jeep thread lol.

I love my Jeep :D

Aleron

Wow I can't believe the mileage on some of those cars! Cars rarely ever last that long around here. Like I said on FB, my friend had a early 90s Toyota wagon that had over 200k but then it suffered death by rust. That seems the norm around here :/

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
I think that's been stated before, but for sure. The 4.0 Inline 6 is a beast of an engine. That's all I ever hear from anyone, and I've seen it proved time and again on the Jeep forum.

A lot of Jeep guys want the v8 engine that the Grand Cherokees came with, and I have no idea why. I would never want a v8 in an already heavy vehicle, unless I was planning on towing a trailer or boat often. Talk about a gas hog. And my IL6 will tow a boat just fine, and if I felt like installing the interior braking system for the horse trailer, it could tow that just fine as well. (Granted, it IS a smaller two horse trailer)

I don't know about the Cherokees, but I don't think the Grands (hereafter referred to by their factory designation of ZJ) came with a 4 banger in them.

I know that TJs and YJs came with 4 cylinder engines in them, but I've drive a few, and they have no power at all. Like, none. But I'm used to the IL6 engine, so that could have colored my perception.

And I just love how this has almost turned into a Jeep thread lol.

I love my Jeep :D
I've had three Jeep Cherokee Classics/Sports (also known as the XJ in Jeepland). I LURVES THEM. Somehow, I will manage to have them forever (even though they stopped manufacturing in 2001). The 4.0L has NEVER done me wrong. Honestly, these vehicles are the best. Definitely get on the highway, as some do get some shake in them (especially if they've had a bad lift job). As I said, watch for rusted out rockers. I have never seen a stock Cherokee with anything other than the 4.0L, I don't think... You can find a manual, but they are far and few between. I don't know if this is universal or not, but the Cherokee's I've had have been pretty much all torque, not a whole lot of power. So that's something to think about.

Also, winter driving. These things are LIGHT. Don't count on the 4 wheel drive to save you.

As CD has said, don't get the V8. They will suck you dry. I will also mirror her statement about gutless TJ's and YJ's. Josh had a 4 banger TJ for a while, and though we loved that thing, you could barely make it down the highway. Lol.

Saeleofu

Resurrecting this thread...if all goes well I'm trading my car and $500 for my brother's 1996 Grand Cherokee. It needs a gas cap, rear differential gasket, and a few other small fixes, but otherwise runs well. As in, out-of-state-driving-possibilities well. FINGERS CROSSED! :D

Members online

No members online now.