Word usage - Pet peeves

S

Squishy22

I don't know why, but the word "pregers" annoys me but I like the word "prego". I only use it when typing. A short cut I guess, I just got used to it after seeing it a million times. I hate it when people use "to" instead of "too". Its not that hard, people!

Doberluv

LOL. My Dad use to ask me: "How do you spell to?" And I'd spell it. Then he'd ask me how to spell "two another way" so I'd spell it another way, like that...the number or too, meaning also. He asked me how to spell train. I spelled it. "t-r-a-i-n. Then he asked me to say all the words, one after the other. "Too too train." And then he told me, "when you get a little older, I'll teach you how to spell "locamotive." Hahahaha.

That one and then there's there, their and they're. I find myself, when I'm typing really fast, plugging in the wrong one sometimes. I know the difference, but when my brain is not at full throttle, I sometimes stick in the wrong one and sometimes, the wrong two, too or to, too. I mean also. Rfffff.

You're your. "You're bothering your sister." That so hard?

They're their there. "They're sitting with their friends over there." THAT so hard?!

I know its a southern thing, but I just cannot understand "I seen."

And irregardless bugs me.

And its instant messager, not instant messenger.

I have a long list, lol.

dober- posted at the same time, I wasnt calling you out lol

Last edited:

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
I don't know why, but the word "pregers" annoys me but I like the word "prego". I only use it when typing. A short cut I guess, I just got used to it after seeing it a million times. I hate it when people use "to" instead of "too". Its not that hard, people!
What gets me is 'preggers' is exactly the same length as 'pregnant' so...I just really don't get that at all. I guess it's supposed to be cute, but it sounds idiotic. And 'preggo' is two letters short. Whoo! Big abbreviation there.

It's intents and purposes, not "intensive purposes". That always bothers me. That and adding -ish to everything. Smallish, roundish, coolish, AHHHH! I can't stand -ish.

Bailey08

It's intents and purposes, not "intensive purposes". That always bothers me.
That one cracks me up. I've also seen a lot of incorrect spellings and uses of "per se" recently.

I've had to chill out about spelling and grammar issues since spending more time on the internetz, or my head would explode. :) I also think and write in random acronyms far too often.

First off, uber and yummy totally roxorz irregardless of what yall think.

I get a big kick out of slang and I use it at the worst times in the wrong context as often as possible. I also like to use hand signs and secret handshakes that the other person has no clue of. Grammar/Spelling Nazis bring out my prey drive.

First off, uber and yummy totally roxorz irregardless of what yall think.

I get a big kick out of slang and I use it at the worst times in the wrong context as often as possible. I also like to use hand signs and secret handshakes that the other person has no clue of. Grammar/Spelling Nazis bring out my prey drive.
Oi, yoi need more toim in the Archives, Schiem ;)

Umm, no thats correct. You instant message someone but you do it via instant messenger. It is a means to deliver a message. It's a message deliverer, therefore it is a messenger.

My husband over-uses "theoretically". Annoys the **** out of me. Its his favorite word and he uses it way too much. He often times uses it when "probably" or "maybe" should be used instead.

Doberluv

You're your. "You're bothering your sister." That so hard?

They're their there. "They're sitting with their friends over there." THAT so hard?!

I know its a southern thing, but I just cannot understand "I seen."

And irregardless bugs me.

And its instant messager, not instant messenger.

I have a long list, lol.

dober- posted at the same time, I wasnt calling you out lol
Oh, I didn't take it like you were calling me out 4dogs...because I do know the difference between two, 2 and too, also and to, go to that place. And they're, they are, their, ownership and there, a place. LOL. It's just that sometimes when I'm typing something, thinking about the content, I find that I will stick in the wrong one without thinking.

Grammar nazis? That's a strong and scary sounding label. :rofl1: No nazis here. It's just interesting to some of us and some things bother us. I can not qualify as a grammar or spelling nazi because I am far, far from perfect. In fact, I am rather a lousy speller.

I like lots of the slang, silly words, but not all. It just makes it fun.

I see funny things, sometimes here, like nip it in the butt. I think the expression is nip it in the bud. ROFLOL.

I've seen some pretty incredible things though, like "runned away" and "I seen it."

Oh, here's another one. A lot of people don't use the verb to be. "The dog wants out." That's probably more colloquial, but 'irregardless..." LOL.

I know when I write, I don't always use complete sentences. Is it okay if I'm aware of that, but it is my style to throw in a few of those, just for the fun of it? :eek:

Well, it sure is fun to read all these responses. That's another potential irritant, isn't it...starting a sentence with "well?" But it's sort of like how a lot of us talk, so.......................... Love that dot, dot, dot thing, don't you?

Grammar nazis? That's a strong and scary sounding label. :rofl1: No nazis here. It's just interesting to some of us and some things bother us. I can not qualify as a grammar or spelling nazi because I am far, far from perfect. In
Oh, here's another one. A lot of people don't use the verb to be. "The dog wants out." That's probably more colloquial, but 'irregardless..." LOL.
My husband always says "the baby needs changed" or "the baby needs fed". I think he invented those statements all on his own, lol. Its new to me. Now, "the dog wants out" is pretty common. I have heard it, I probably say it. I can definitely remember saying "i want out" many times, but "the baby needs fed"??? lol

Doberluv

All of those things are leaving out the verb to be. The baby needs to be fed. The baby needs to be changed. The dog wants to go out. LOL. To be correct, that verb needs there. I mean, needs to be there. LOL.

Romy

Taxiderpy
I hate it when people say "jewlery". It's jewELry.

I was also mortified having more than one president would couldn't pronounce nuclear. Seriously. It's not nuk-a-lar, it's nu-clee-ar.

Not grammar specifically, but it bugs me all the same.

Well, it sure is fun to read all these responses. That's another potential irritant, isn't it...starting a sentence with "well?" But it's sort of like how a lot of us talk, so.......................... Love that dot, dot, dot thing, don't you?
Yes, yes, I do. ;)

An ellipsis [ [SIZE=+2]…[/SIZE] ] proves to be a handy device when you're quoting material and you want to omit some words. The ellipsis consists of three evenly spaced dots (periods) with spaces between the ellipsis and surrounding letters or other marks. Let's take the sentence, "The ceremony honored twelve brilliant athletes from the Caribbean who were visiting the U.S." and leave out "from the Caribbean who were":
The ceremony honored twelve brilliant athletes … visiting the U.S.​
If the omission comes after the end of a sentence, the ellipsis will be placed after the period, making a total of four dots. … See how that works? Notice that there is no space between the period and the last character of the sentence.

The ellipsis can also be used to indicate a pause in the flow of a sentence and is especially useful in quoted speech:
Juan thought and thought … and then thought some more.
"I'm wondering …" Juan said, bemused.​
Note carefully the spacing of the ellipsis marks and the surrounding characters in the examples above. In mid-sentence, a space should appear between the first and last ellipsis marks and the surrounding letters. If a quotation is meant to trail off (as in Juan's bemused thought), leave a space between the last letter and the first ellipsis mark but do not include a period with the ellipsis marks.

If words are left off at the end of a sentence, and that is all that is omitted, indicate the omission with ellipsis marks (preceded and followed by a space) and then indicate the end of the sentence with a period … . If one or more sentences are omitted, end the sentence before the ellipsis with a period and then insert your ellipsis marks with a space on both sides. … As in this example. A coded ellipsis (used in the construction of this page) will appear tighter (with less of a space between the dots) than the use of period-space-period-space-period.
I see funny things, sometimes here, like nip it in the butt. I think the expression is nip it in the bud. ROFLOL.
One of the funniest I've heard was from a file clerk in a law office where I worked. It was cold that day, and she was complaining. Her final comment was, "it's NIPPLE-Y out there!" I think she meant to say "nippy." :rofl1:

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
OH I am SO guilty of the .....

but that is not so much because I think it is gramatically correct. but because I am trying to mimmick speech. so when I pause it;s.......

like...
WHAT... Where... YOU ... THINKING

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
or maybe she meant nippley as in "colder than a witches tit"

LOL

I know lots of people that say nippley .... because think abougt it (oh yes I just did the dot dot dot).. as a woman when you go out into the cold. waht happens? YOu get NIPPLES... THO's titty hard ons

Members online

No members online now.