biting puppy!

ohmai

My 8 wk old puppy is biting every SINGLE thing! But the worst part is, he tends to target ME to bite most of the time. He will maybe try to bite my parents, but rarely. When I come out to play with him or just to go outside he comes and attacks my pants, or legs. He won't get off! I tried holding his mouth shut and saying "bad bite", but he just keeps on at it. Any suggestions to help me?

PS. I also have quite a few toys for him to chew on. A stuffed animal, nylabone, ball kong, basketballs, and the rope toy. But he also bites my chairs alot of the time when I'm sleeping, so I can't do anything to help that.

poeluvr

i know a lot of experts will reply with this, there have been similar posts b4, by the way so every1 else knows what type of dog is he?

becca_4321

Thats a puppy thing. When Gracie is in excited I cant walk thru the house without her running along beside me pulling at my pant legs, attacking my toes. Sometimes I hand her a toy, most the time Princess comes running and Gracie forgets my pants and chases after her. Sometimes I'll stop and practice sit with her. Try to get her focused on something other than my feet!

ohmai

He's a labrador/husky. A lab expert told me that Lab's are extremely hyper and think about biting,biting,biting every single moment. I want my puppy to stop it though, because it seriously hurts. I don't have another animal for him to spend his time with, it's mostly me that plays with him. Oh, and when my puppy starts attacking me like that, I don't think he can focus on anything else. o.o
I give him something to bite on, but he just bites it for a second and throws it away and goes back to whatever he was biting.

candy722

your dog is just teething. My Toki used to only teeth on human skin. He only bit our toes, ankle, wrist, and fingers. He didn't bite on clothes or his own toys. Only toes, angle, wrist, and fingers. OUCH that really hurt

ohmai

Yeah... really ouch! That's why I'm trying to find SOME way, to at least stop him from biting me all the time! It doesn't look good when you have these little scratches on your arms and legs!

By the way.. when did your dog stop teething?

Fran27

I had the same problems with Boris. The advice I got was to say 'no bite' and turn your back to him, stop playing and ignore him, or do a high pitched 'ow' so he understands that he actually hurts you.

Well none of those really worked for him. The only thing that did was buying a spray bottle and spraying him with it. That bottle worked for lots of things too, and now we mostly only have to show it to him and he will stop his bad behavior. I know people say it's not a good way of training, but it worked, and it hasn't changed his character one bit.

ohmai

I might try that, what you did.
Same goes for my puppy, Eikon. I'm doing the 'ow' thing and leaving him when he bites me, but he doesn't understand. When I walk away, or say 'ow', he'll just come and jump and bite me again.

There are teething toys you can get that you freeze that will help with the teething. You can also freeze wet cloths, but you have to watch carefully with those to make sure he doesn't swallow any threads that might unravel. The teething toys are a better bet.

You still have to teach him not to use you for a teething toy, but it's easier when he's got something he really likes to gnaw on that helps with sore gums!

Since he's part Lab, he might actually LIKE the water being sprayed, lol! You just never know . . .

ohmai

What teething toys are there? That, in your experience (if you owned a puppy) worked well? I got mine a nylabone, a ball kong, and that rope toy, along with a pillow he sleeps on, and throws around the room.
I've been thinking, that since my puppy doesn't chew on the nylabone all that often, could I maybe soak the nylabone in chicken broth and freeze it for him? Or would a cloth be better?

There are some that are made especially to be frozen. You can stuff the Kong with peanut butter and some kibbles or treats and freeze it too.

Raw bones that have been frozen are a good choice too, just make sure you supervise when you give your pup bones.

Richie12345

who messed with my sig!?! nvm, forget about it. Yeah, I would give those freezing bones a try...

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
My lab puppy is EXACTLY the same way! She just chews and chews. I try to advert her attention when she chews but that doesn't really work either. I tried the toys, and she loves toys. She loves any kind of bone that you can buy for dogs. As for the chewing, that's just what puppies do. Maybe try some of the bitter apple spray on your hands. That's the way I got my ferrets to stop biting my hands.

Doberluv

Try to find some other threads on this. There have been many. Basically, the best way is to remove the payoff for biting you. What is the payoff? It's you, your attention, your speaking, looking, touching any interacting with him. Remove that. Walk away, ignore and end ALL playtime with him. When he quits, hand him a replacement toy, a teething one or anything. When he goes for that, reward him lavishly, but calmly. If you must, seperate him from you for about 10 minutes by puttin him in his crate with some toy. Don't put him in there as a punishment, don't associate it with anger at all. Just calmly put him in there and walk away. Don't respond to his complaints. Other than that, it just takes time, maturing and teething to subside at around 5-7 months. When ever he is playing nicely, without biting, even for a few seconds, let him know how wonderful he is, but don't get exciteable or he will and probably will start in on your arm again. Good luck. Let him be a puppy while at the same time, teaching him what you want. Make learning fun and understandable to him.

Dakotah_2009

OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!
Yea my Cattle Dog is teething and he's 11 weeks old, he bites mostly on toys so I think I got the lucky one...LOl. But sometimes he bites me and I say No Levi, and he just stops and goes to get one of his toys. But if he bites hard then I say OUCH and say Levi... and he gets a toy and starts to bite on it.

Members online

No members online now.