nightmare vet visit

bcjake

We had an interesting experience at the vet yesterday. Took the new dog in for a checkup & shots. The clinic I went to is very cheap, but you wait forever to been seen, as its first come, first serve. Good news is they gave him a clean bill of health and verified he's neutered, which saves us about $100. I ended up getting some heart worm preventative medicine for him, which brought the grand total to about $50, well below what I was afraid I'd end up spending. So as long as he keeps up his sweet temperment and attitude, he has a home. He woke us up this morning about 5am when he started barking like a watch dog (sounded like 100+ lb. Rotweiler instead of a 58lb. Aussie at the front door, waking all of up. I ran into the living room, seeing nothing other than the paper delivery guy.) For those just tuning in, we took in a gorgeous 2-3 year old male red merle Australian Shepherd that one family threatened to shoot becasue they kept trying to get rid of the dog (little girl didn't want to take care of it) and it kept coming back, the second family that took it in couldn't keep due to allergies and (more likely) the upkeep and constant sweeping of his long hair. From what we've seen so far, this seems to be the perfect dog.

Is there another reason why I'm bringing this up as I'm sure you could care less about a vet visit? Of course! Part of the 2 hours I spent there were talking to other people about their pets, typical in a vet office. However, when a woman called Betty and 2 others that climbed out of the rusted out Olds came in, the fun began and the intelligence was sucked out of the room. In a thick backwoods draw, she asked me if that was an Australian Shapherd and I said yes. She asked his name, which for now is Chance. Oh that was a mistake. She went on in a single breath for the next 45 minutes to tell me about every cat and dog she has ever had, bred or rescued, ironically many of which were named Chance, including the one spelled "Chanse". I heard about the cat with a nervous twitch, the pup born without a rectum, the dog that quit breathing and she gave mouth to mouth to, the dog that after sitting on her lap for about 20 minutes bolted out the door, into the street and was hit by a car (probably heard the same story I did and decided to put an end to his misery). All of which I could have gone the rest off my life without knowing. She also had pictures of many of the afore mensioned animals in an album and on her camera cell phone (she has more pictures of her animals than we do of our human kids! She was a very sweet and sincere lady, don't get me wrong. They mean well. She and her 2 friends are the female equivilent to Larry, Darrell & Daryl.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Sounds like a good day for the most part!

Aussies do make pretty good watch dogs. I never have to worry about anyone sneaking up on me in my sleep, because my Aussie barks loud enough to wake the Hounds of Hell anytime someone comes up the stairs at night, even when it's family that lives with me.

bcjake

the nightmare, aside from waiting an astonishing 2 hours for 15 minutes of face time with the vet, was sitting there listening to this woman talk continuously, in one breath (maybe two) about her misfit animals, well outlined in the second paragraph of my initial posting in this thread. It's funny looking back, but I was ready to shove bamboo under my fingernails.

Listening about the pup born without a rectum, the cat with a nervous twitch, the dog that stopped breathing she had to give mouth to mouth to, the dog that more or less committed suicide by bolting off of the woman's lap, out the door and into the street only to get hit by a car.

Is it really necessary to spend 15 minutes talking about a dog born with no rectum? I'm glad the pup is doing well now and all, but I could have done without hearing how happy they were as it started passing gas...

Many of her animals were named Chance, including the one spelled "Chanse". I was scarred for life to the point my wife decided to have mercy on me and let me call our new dog "Ozzy", as in Ozzy & Harriet or Ozzy Osbourne.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Lol...I feel your pain! Some people just don't quite get that others don't really care to hear all the inside details. :D

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Well, why didnt you just tell her you didnt want to hear it ??

bcjake

I was trying to be polite and other people seemed interested, though she was focusing straight on me the entire time. Come to think of it, I don't think she blinked at all either.

Early morning school bus or the random moose BD lets me know its coming, its there and that it just left.

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Well you aren't exactly going to have a conversation with Warren Buffet in a clinic that is first come first serve and with a two hour wait in exchange for a pittance, are you now?

jammer

High Maintenance
That's why I bring a book or my ipod...What? I can't hear you...Music too loud!

I'm gracious when people start talking my ear off. Especially if they are older. I figure maybe they are lonely and if me listening to them makes their day a little sunnier...why not.

Oh sheesh, then I don't think you would live with my step-dad very long! He talks non-stop! *cough* (when hes drunk) who said that??? :rolleyes: But, it sounds like your visit was pretty good!

bcjake

a friend went there yesterday and believes he spoke either to the same woman or someone who knew her... another dog born without a rectum is now happily passing gas!

*sigh*

when I read the title of this thread I thought you were going to say there was a dog fight in the waiting room, or your dog ate the office cat (my biggest fear), or the vet diagnosed your dog with some awful disease, or your dog had an allergic reaction to one of the needles, or there was an accident and a routine vet visit turned out to be a $2000 surgery....people talk...life goes on...it aint that bad....

bubbatd

Yup ....us oldies have a lot to say !!!! If you think I'm wordy here ...you should sit next to me next time !!!!

Members online

No members online now.