AKC and Petland

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
The AKC makes a lot of claims. So does the HSUS. It doesn't mean that what they CLAIM has anything to do with what they are in actuality.

And what they are IS just a registry, with nothing in mind but money. They are hardly advocates for purebreed dogs when now they are ENCOURAGING mixed breeds to join in their events, and satisfying the cries of purebred fanciers by saying "Oh, only at events where there isn't a breed show going on." It's obvious what they are doing. I don't like all of it but it doesn't really bother me, being that, as I said, I don't have any delusions about what the AKC is really doing. They do a LOT of things that are greedy. It sucks, but it is what it is. Honestly if they were more upfront about the fact that at the end of the day they are just a business I don't think a lot of people would have that much of an issue with it. It's not an excuse, just simply accepting the reality of the situation instead of trying to parade around thinking the AKC is some fabulous group who's really, truly fighting for dogs. I don't suffer any delusions so I don't have any anger about the issue.

They might be a group very well equipped to fight milling in the US IF they actually wanted to. But it is not in their best financial interests to do so, therefore they don't. If that's not being "just a registry," what exactly is that?

Dekka

Just try me..
Well they do run shows.. and thats more than a registry does...

They are def doing more than just registering, and they are def being greedy and unethical.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I honestly don't think running shows makes them unique or anything significantly more than any other registries. Probably because, again, I don't have delusions about the underlying politics and moneygrubbing involved. Agility was added to the AKC because it's just another avenue to make money. So is registering mixed breed dogs and puppymill puppies. Advocates for the purebreed dog my ass.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
That mill has to be the cleanest, nicest looking mill I've ever seen.

Tsuki came from a mill from MO.

She will be reg. with AKC so I can eventually compete with her. Though I will be shading in the box as I have full papers on her.

I think even if mill dogs weren't reg... they would still sell. Most people don't know the difference between AKC or APRI. Say your dog is registered and boom! your okay... let's buy your dogs. Sadly I don't see it getting better in our lifetime.

Lolas Dad

What mill are you referring to?

What mill did she or he come from?. Also are you saying that your dog came from a mill proudly :confused:

Boemy

I don't think ANY registry should accept registration from puppy mills. The AKC trots out the "Oh, we are just a registry! Poor, helpless us!" line every time their greed gets the upperhand.

I recall once before the AKC decided to register Petland's puppy mill puppies . . . Plenty of breed club members (officers) were upset and angry, asking how this promoted or protected purebred dogs. The "main" AKC officers' replies were all couched in terms of dollars and cents, plus a few weak justifications like "People will research the AKC when they buy an AKC dog and become super-knowledgeable about purebreds and better breeding!" (Please.) Mostly they just talked about the revenue it would bring in. I'm disgusted that they've tried again, after all the outcry last time, and apparently (if what this blog says is true) have at last succeeded.

The AKC is a registry, but they aren't "just" a registry. They are the best known dog registry in the US. Every company has a "brand", from McDonalds to the Red Cross to the Boy Scouts. When the Red Cross puts their name, their brand, their reputation behind a rescue effort, there's immediate recognition. People think, "Oh, it's legitimate. They're with the Red Cross." When the AKC lends their name to puppy millers pumping out puppies, that gives pet stores more legitimacy in the eyes of the public. No responsible registry should be shaking hands with puppy mills, but when the AKC does it, more damage is done.

With great power comes great responsibility.

Lolas Dad

You never did say what mill you were talking about when you said that's a really nice mill.

BullMastiffMama

Will Work for Kibble
Mericox, I didn't know what mill you meant, either.

But I get sarcasm and I like it! :D

On topic: I have little faith in the AKC. I also don't hold them responsible for anything. Sure, they could do more to educate the public.... but they won't when it's not in the best interest of their wallets. The bulldog that I'll be 'rescuing' from my sister is already registered, or I would NOT register it. The dog came from a pet store. I'll do my very best with him. (Don't tell him, but he's getting his 'boys' snipped as soon as he arrives.)

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
The video of the mill the OP is talking about... what the original topic of the thread was about. Was commenting on how clean and *nice* the mill looks compared to others you see... (dogs in fecal matter, uber small cages) though there's nothing nice about it.

And glad someone caught on to the sarcasm. Gawd. Way to chop up my post and make me look like a bad guy.

Lolas Dad

The video of the mill the OP is talking about... what the original topic of the thread was about. Was commenting on how clean and *nice* the mill looks compared to others you see... (dogs in fecal matter, uber small cages) though there's nothing nice about it.

And glad someone caught on to the sarcasm. Gawd. Way to chop up my post and make me look like a bad guy.

Well I was a bit confused because the video in the link that I posted for the Hunte Corp shows holding cages that are really clean and that is what I thought you were referring to but maybe you did not see that video. The video I posted is on the Hunte Corp website and they are trying to make themselves look good in the public eye. They even say anyone can drop by their and check the place out but they do not say you can drop by the mills and check the place out where the dogs come from.

Members online

No members online now.