Too nervous to eat!

Tazwell

I have quite a few dogs come into class that are just too nervous to eat treats, play with toys, etc. Most of them become very much comfortable by the end of the day, if not, the next class-- but I have this one in class who's close to the end of the 8 weeks-- and she still won't eat.

She's a Shih tzu, and she was a puppy mill rescue. In class, and walking around, she's fine. Fairly relaxed, sometimes sleeping. She doesn't shake, she has her blankie there, she doesn't do anything but just sit there and watch. The most motivating thing to her, is cheese-- as well as every other treat we've ever tried-- Nothing. She just doesn't want it. She's even gone as far as to pee on them! Toys? Nothing. She just sits there. No noise, no distress, nada.

She's been in for about 6 weeks, and very little improvement. They've even refrained from feeding her all day before class. It's certainly making the obedience part of class pretty difficult! As well as having new people be the source of "good things."

Any suggestions for this one?

Other than her, what are some other effective methods you guys have found to getting dogs comfortable with new places, or being in public?

lizzybeth727

Is she generally very treat motivated? Like at home or in other situations, will she take treats?

I know you don't want me telling you this, but it sounds like she needs an in-home trainer at this point. The behaviors you're trying to teach her - sit, down, LLW, etc. - can probably be practiced at home to a point where the customers will be happy, as long as they do their homework. But if their goal is to teach their dog that other people and other situations are fun, you're probably starting way beyond her threshold. I know you said that she doesn't appear to be under stress, but I would argue that even though she doesn't show a lot of overt stress signals she probably is still stressed.... in fact, falling asleep can be a sign of stress! You might be able to make some progress with her in a private class held at a quiet time of day, but IMO she'll probably need in-home sessions, followed up by going on outings and gradually being introduced to new places and new people.

Good luck!

I ussually bring another dog that the nervous dog is comfortable around. Kiwi would shutdown in lots of places until I started bringing Emma with me..

also ... natural balance rolls = doggy heroin try them if you haven't already.

That and what Lizzy said! :)

That dog sounds like my dog! She is very nervous in situations where there are people she doesn't know, and she won't eat even her FAVORITE thing in the whole world. She just likes to hide under a chair and pretend they're not there. I would have to agree that trying to teach her obedience when she's like that is probably impossible. Maybe they need to take their dog to a behaviorist instead.

Doberluv

Is she generally very treat motivated? Like at home or in other situations, will she take treats?

I know you don't want me telling you this, but it sounds like she needs an in-home trainer at this point. The behaviors you're trying to teach her - sit, down, LLW, etc. - can probably be practiced at home to a point where the customers will be happy, as long as they do their homework. But if their goal is to teach their dog that other people and other situations are fun, you're probably starting way beyond her threshold. I know you said that she doesn't appear to be under stress, but I would argue that even though she doesn't show a lot of overt stress signals she probably is still stressed.... in fact, falling asleep can be a sign of stress! You might be able to make some progress with her in a private class held at a quiet time of day, but IMO she'll probably need in-home sessions, followed up by going on outings and gradually being introduced to new places and new people.

Good luck!
I agree with this. It does sound like this is a shut-down dog...and trying to get anywhere when she's out of her element this much... is fruitless. Sounds like she needs a more gradual approach.

Tazwell

That was what I told them, too. I gave them this advice--

Take her in the car, if she's comfortable there, for short pleasant trips. Bring her to the store or other doggy-friendly locations for short, pleasant trips, as well. Bring things she's comfortable with; her bed, toys, favorite treats. I'll be honest, they haven't worked on that much.

In class, the other two dogs are quiet, she's not scared of them at all. She has become curious, she'll sniff people and dogs out all the time. Her tail is not between her legs. She'll perk her ears up. She did have a very shutdown attitude the first week- wouldn't look at anything, wouldn't move, just wouldn't do anything. She's definitely improved, but still isn't in her comfort zone.

I'm pretty bummed that she hasn't come out of it, seeing as she's so curious and such in class- and she is alright at home. I actually already did give them the number of a behaviorist they could call, if they really wanted her to become more outgoing, but I don't really see them going through the trouble. She doesn't see this outing as a frightening experience, and I'm happy with that.

Thanks for the advice! Other than that, I have those dogs that come out of it the first or second day-- What's the best way to handle those, in your opinion? Fastest and least stressful methods?

lizzybeth727

Sounds like you handled it well, and I agree, if they really wanted to work on this they would've taken your advice about short trips and stuff.

Thanks for the advice! Other than that, I have those dogs that come out of it the first or second day-- What's the best way to handle those, in your opinion? Fastest and least stressful methods?
My first class, I gave out a handout listing different stress signals in dogs and what kind of situations are stressful for dogs. I think this helped open the door for a conversation about what to expect when your dog is in a new environment like a class setting, and it kinda made it "ok" for the owners to see their dogs under stress. And when the owners are calmer about it, the dogs will be too.

Also on the first class I would do a massage exercise, where I show people how to massage their dogs and why that's important (it's good to get dogs used to handling, stress relief, fun, etc.), and then the rest of the class if we're just sitting talking about something and the dogs aren't doing anything, I'll tell the owners to massage their dogs while they listen. Of course occasionally you'll get the dog that doesn't like massage, but especially with adult dogs, usually it does help with stress relief.

I also suggest people get to class about 10 minutes early. If they get there TOO early, the dogs will get burnt out by the end of the class.... if they get there right when class starts, or of course late, not only are they stressing their dog and all the other dogs in the class with the disruption, but the dog will feed off the owner's stress over being late. But 10 minutes early, they can potty outside before class (another cause of stress!) come into the room and put their stuff down, and take a few deep breaths before the class starts.

Of course if the dog is not taking treats, you did the right thing in suggesting that they come to class hungry and use high-value treats. It's also a good idea for you to have some high-value treats on hand just in case you really need them. I'd cut up one hot dog and put it in a ziploc baggy and store it in the freezer at work (clearly labeled!), so that I'd have it ready. When you really need it, you REALLY NEED it, so it's good to have. You can do the same with pieces of cheese (string cheese freezes well) or other high-value treats.

Good luck!

Tazwell

Thanks Lizzy-- We do the massaging exercise in Week One, as well. Not many people heed that advice, I always have to remind them.

We use a Pet Botanics Dog food Roll, all cut up, as our regular training treats (for my treat pouch, for picky dogs) and I do keep other treats like Cat treats or cheerios in the cupboard, too. You're right, I should keep cheese or hot dogs in the fridge or freezer! Good Idea!

And lastly, Good news! She ate tonight in class! That's a huge step forward, even if it is already week 7-- I was so pleased to see her eat today!

lizzybeth727

Congratulations!

I use the dog food roll almost every day, too, and I still belive that for most dogs hotdogs are still better. My dog, for one, would prefer hotdogs over the roll. I also think that freezing the hotdogs makes a difference, many dogs have never had, or rarely have, something that cold and with that texture, so that alone makes a difference. I like to think of it like, what if all the food I ever ate was room temperature?? Getting stuff that's either warm or cold would really be exciting. JMO, though.

Members online

No members online now.