Early morning barfer?

Early Sunday morning (maybe 6 AM) Darby started barking in her crate, which she never does. I checked and she'd vomited in there. Just foamy, watery stuff. I got her out and cleaned up, etc. She ate fine that day, but by evening seemed distressed, and was particularly concentraing on her pee parts. She was fine in her crate that night though.

Monday I took her to the vet and they looked at her urine and found evidence of a UTI, elevated white count as well as crystals in her urine. We got an antibiotic and started her on that. She's been fine. Acting normally, eating normally, peeing normally. She was fine in her crate on Monday night.

Then this morning at around 5:30, she vomited in her crate again. Just the foamy watery stuff. Since then she's been completely normal.

Does that seem odd? One time (especially the 1st time) I can understand, but now again three days later at the same time of the morning? She's perfectly fine right now and we just did 10 minutes of training. No eidence of distress at all. What would you make of that?

Sweet72947

Squishy face
"foamy watery stuff" is bile. My vet told me that it could be a tummy ache, or something. If she keeps vomiting, I would have the vet look at her again.

Charliesmommy

I run with scissors
Some dogs just have sensitive stomachs. Or maybe the meds she's on are making her not feel good?

How often are you feeding her and what are you feeding her? When Charlie was younger he would vomit bile if he didn't get fed often enough so I had to start feeding him 3-4 small meals a day, instead of 2 and that solved his problem. Made him have to go out a lot more too!

Some dogs just have sensitive stomachs. Or maybe the meds she's on are making her not feel good?

How often are you feeding her and what are you feeding her? When Charlie was younger he would vomit bile if he didn't get fed often enough so I had to start feeding him 3-4 small meals a day, instead of 2 and that solved his problem. Made him have to go out a lot more too!
The first vomit was before the antibiotic, so I ruled out the medication.

She's fed twice a day. She's 7 months old and I fed 3 times a day until she was 6 months. She eats at about 7 AM and 6 PM. Interesting observation from you and malmo that she could be hungry. That time of the morning would be a long time after she ate last.

Maybe I'll go back to 3 a day for awhile and schedule the last one a little later in the evening.

EDIT: She eats Natural Balance dry, and has eaten that since she's been with us.

Charliesmommy

I run with scissors
I suggest making the last meal of the day a small one. Maybe even just a few treats before bedtime. I found with Charlie that as long as he had just a little something in his stomach he was OK. Give him too much before bedtime and you'll be up 5 times in the night to go outside!

Let us know if this does the trick.

malmo

Here to learn
I agree -- just a little something, maybe a strip of raw chicken breast or some Natural Balance sausage-cased stuff. Sorry, I can't remember what that is called -- around here we call it "meaty treaty." Raw chicken is called "dinner." Heh.

Let us know how it goes! I'm interested to see if this solves the problem for you...

hbwright

Has she had bowel movements? This happened with Jordan and the quick vet visit ruled a little belly irritation but did not find anything serious, to watch him and call the next day. The next day I was going to bring him into the emergency vets and he came bounding down the stairs, ate immediately and went outside and pooped a rubber ball. We got very lucky.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Ilsa used to do this almost all the time - the ONLY thing that worked was feeding her dinner later at night, or at least a small snack right before bedtime. Basically, she was going to sleep with an empty tummy, and it made her a little sick each morning.

Has she had bowel movements?
Oh yeah. Her poop has been normal and right on schedule. Other than those two incidents, she's been perfectly fine.

It's too soon to say, but I think the empty-belly suggestion makes quite a bit of sense given the timing of the events.

showpug

Feeding her later at night should fix the problem or earlier in the morning. When they vomit like that, it's usually from too empty of a stomach and too much bile, stomach acid churning.

Your dog is adorable by the way. I love Wheatons!

Members online

No members online now.