Help! In need of some point form info on Kibble.

Hi there, now I know many of you have been around the block on the topic of 'grocery store' kibble and the ins and outs of why it is bad and what not. I'm a first time owner meaning that I've had dogs in the past but I was young and they were family pets. My parents did most of the caring for...now I should also mention that when I was younger I lived in the Caribbean where common diets for dogs consists of corn-meal and a variety of cooked meats or rice and meat so i'm slightly naiive and ignorant when coming to dog food and there are too many conflicting viewpoints. Now when we adopted our pup, he was being fed Purina puppy chow. We asked how great it was and found out not so good. We were given samples of natural dog food and during the sample process he ate all with no problem but soon became very ill with vomitting and diarrhea. So we switched back to Purina and problems cleaned asap and he has been fine since with a beautiful coat, nice teeth, great energy and appetite. Okay so this was in May and it is now Aug. and I just recently started researching (since we are trying to prepare for when to switch to adult food since he is 8 months now) and read that brands such as Purina are no good. I'm beginning to realise that it wasn't so much the food that caused the sickness but maybe because too many different brands were being tested in too short a time frame...I'm not 100%. Now the vet said Purina is fine... reading on here, I know better. I'm sorry this was long winded but please, can somebody simply break it down why grocery store kibble is no good (I read about the whole filler issue with corn and what not) and maybe suggest an alternative for a yorkie/terrier/poodle. We also feed him on occasion carrots and strawberries.

Members online