Any Doberman Pinscher owners here?

DobermanPinscher

Absolute Dobie Addict
Hi,

Im new and i love Dobermans they are my dream dog and im hopefully going to be getting one soon. I have a couple of books on the breed and im reading up on all areas regarding the breed and i was just wondering if anyone had any tips advice or even any stories (i'd love to hear :D ) about your Doberman(s).

The more information the merrier :) .

Thanks,

DP

Doberluv

The best tips I can give you are:

1) Research thoroughly the breeders and go to a reputable one who health tests and does all the other responsible things. (learn about all the genetic diseases they can get) You can find online what makes a responsible breeder. You can go to shows and talk to people. If one or two breeders names keep popping up, you might look at them.

2) Have you ever had a dog before? These are not dogs for beginners. They are a lot of dog and can be a challenge.

3) I'm so glad you've been reading a lot. Thats so important and wise. Be sure to learn a lot about training and be prepared to do a lot of it and to do a lot of exercise yourself. That's what they need tons of as they mature, as well as a mental job.

I wish you the best. Just be sure it's the right breed for you and your activity level. A lot of people get them for the wrong reasons and then find out they don't like them after all because they're very, very busy and they never seem to slow down, don't let anything go by them. They have to have their noses into everything. LOL. :rolleyes: They are definitely not a dog for everyone.

I think there are some stories sprinkled around this forum. There's something I wrote... a little story about mine in this forum...thread called, Is this multiple personality disorder? (LOL).

Here's a link also to a Doberman forum: http://www.network54.com/Forum/11341?it=0

(I hope that's ok to do this here. Those people there are pretty helpful where Dobermans are concerned.)

Plus, there's a ton of stuff online in the AKC and DPCA sites. Good luck.

DobermanPinscher

Absolute Dobie Addict
Hi Doberluv,

Thanks for replying, yes i know how important it is to research when it comes to buying a dog. I have had quite a bit of experience in working with some large breeds, i also work at a local veterinary practice so we have quite a few different breeds that have to stay in which i care for. I have looked after a friends Doberman a few times but that was quite a while ago but they've moved away... might be worth contacting them for info, funny how you don't think of things until something jogs your memory lol.

I'll check out that link you suggested and the other websites AKC and the DPCA too.

Thanks for your help :) much appreicated.

DP

Doberluv

Oh, gee, I went back and edited my post a little and then saw that you had posted. Well, that's terrific that you're so familiar with dogs and all. Well, this is exciting for you to be looking into all this. Keep us posted on what you find out and how it all goes.

DobermanPinscher

Absolute Dobie Addict
Of coure i'll keep you posted :) .

Do you know of any good books, i have read one called a "Owners Guide to a Doberman Pinscher" or something like that it's a good book, im following alot from that. Im also reading another but i can't remember the name, if you have any suggestions or recommendations for me too read (need to be prepared :D ).

Another thing, is it better to buy a puppy or re-home a adult/young dog (just curious).

Thanks,

DP

Doberluv

One book I like is Doberman Pinschers, brains and beauty by Joanne Walker and Rod Humphries. Some that have been also recommended are: Culture Clash, At the other end of the Leash and some others which, I bet someone here will think of and post.

I think whether you buy a puppy from a breeder or rescue one is entirely up to the individual. I think it's an admirable thing to do to rescue a dog. If you have the resources and know how to go with the flow, it's a great thing to do. I had other dogs, Chihuahuas and a Lab and didn't want to mess with a rescue. I know some recue organizations are better than others at evaluating and matching up dogs with owners. I didn't want to risk having a dog with any severe behavior problems, as I already had my hands pretty full. Introducing an adult in my case would be a risk I wasn't able to deal with. It was to be my first Dobe and I wanted to start clean....with a puppy from a reputable breeder.

So, it just depends on you. There are rescues out there that do not have any behavior problems. Maybe they were given up for other reasons, death, moving...whatever. You don't know what you're getting health wise, but then again, even the best get sick. So, I don't know what to tell you there.

Here are some photos of my beasties if you missed them...if you want to see them. LOL:

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4252

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4311

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
I love the Doberman breed. I will never be without one, or, well, won't after I get my puppy. :) They are truely a delight.

I was at shows the last two days, I wish I had taken photos that I could show you. I'd go back tomorrow but Dobes are at 8, maybe 8:30, either way it's much too early for me, lol! Bailey was digging his nose into my hands so I couldn't get photos the past days, plus the lighting is awful for decent photos. I'm sure if I went back I'd have the Bailey-boy being a huge nudge again anyway. And Lynn would probably start handing dogs off to me again, lol.

The DPDF that Doberluv posted is a great forum, full of information.

As for stories, I think my favorite is the one when Duke realized he had a tail. He had been jumping around, bouncing in circles next to the Christmas tree, and then... there it was. Some red thing, a peculiar shade of red it was, trying to blend in with the rest of him, it was an evil thing, trying to eat his butt! Well, he took off in circles snapping at the red demon of a thing. He finally stood still and bent to get a look at it, and must have realized it was only his goofy nub of a tail. :) Silly silly boy.

Doberluv

A-w-w-w Dukie boy. I know how you must miss him. How are you doing? He sounds so like a Doberman, goofy, playful and humorous. I loved your story. That's what keeps our dogs near to our hearts forever.....those happy memories. Hope you tell us more.

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
I personally love GSD's!

I have a beautiful 11 week old one right now and I'll never be without one.

This is just about puppy's in general.

If you're going to get a puppy you have to be prepared. I saw how you said you researched a lot and read a lot. That's exactly what I did, so good job.

Housetraining, obedience training, training to stop nipping, etc.

Puppies are A LOT of work, I just want to warn you, but Doberman Pinschers are an excellent breed and I hope you get one soon. Keep us posted. :)

DobermanPinscher

Absolute Dobie Addict
Hi everyone,

Thanks for replying. I have written the book names down and im going to investigate and see how much they are and then i'll buy. It would probably be better to buy a puppy rather than a Rescue Dog so i could possibily work up and get that special bond, although not too say that i wont get that from a Rescue but i feel that i would benefit being there as it grows up.

It took a look at your pics Doberluv, their so nice i love the one where your dobie's eating the Chihuahua lol.

I checked your pics on dogster joce, their nice. I love dobies, their so great.

As for RedHotDobe i love your pic of your dobie in your avatar shaking his head with the ball in his mouth, he looks like he's having fun. I agree that network 54 forum does have alot of good information, im still checking it out :p . That's a good story about Duke, i can't wait to have exciting times like that when i get my dobie.

I like GSD's i know alot of people who own them, but i love my dobes. Im arranging a Dog Fun Show at my college and were having GSD's that are going to be doing agility there so it's going to be fun watching them and all the other doggies.

Thanks for the advice and stories everyone, all much appreciated.

DP

Hi!

I agree with what others have posted about carefully looking into breeders and making sure that you're getting a healthy puppy. There are so many genetic diseases with this breed. About the books, if you only buy one, buy Culture Clash. It's probably one of the best books I have ever read about dogs.

I would like to offer another alternative. I personally adopted my dobe from a rescue in Michigan. He is a beautiful black & rust male with a docked tail and cropped ears. They had dogs of all ages, colours and temperments. I had 27 to choose from. You take a gamble on the possible genetic problems, but you give a home to dog who really needs one. The nice thing is that although there are sometimes some "issues", you don't tend to go through ALL the puppy problems (chewing, destruction, etc.) You also don't have to do ear taping (if you wanted cropped ears). Plus, many of these dogs come with their papers, so you can show if you would like, or you can apply for an ILP (US) or a PEN (CAN) in order to show your dog.

They have wonderful personalities and quirks that are special to the breed.

Good luck!

DobermanPinscher

Absolute Dobie Addict
Hi Silver_wlf,

I am reading alot of books and going to be careful and make sure that i have everything i need and be able to provide for the new puppy/dog. I am thinking of getting a puppy but im am consider all the options. Also although cropping gives the dog a different look it is banned in the UK, but i prefer them not cropped :) .

Im going take a look how much that book that you suggest i buy "Culture Clash" costs and then buy maybe.

Thanks for the suggestion and advice, much appreicated :D

DP

Members online

No members online now.