Do You Let Your Dog Clean the Dishes?

Depends on what I've eaten, but generally yes. I don't make a point of intentionally giving the dishes to them to clean, but if I am done eating and they are giving me sad eyes over an empty plate, I may succumb.

Toller_08

I don't generally. I don't like the dogs in the kitchen. I have occassionally let them lick something clean, but it is very rare.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I let mine lick the fork/spoon after I'm done getting their raw together- does that count? lol.

They've never licked the dishes clean, though.

CaliTerp07

Yes--saves me from having to run the dishwasher on the high setting! I'm conserving energy!

My husband doesn't like it though. Ooops.

Assamiea

I don't let the dogs lick the dishes, but if I'm having something that comes in a single serving (like a yogurt cup) I'll let them have whatever I can't get.

Maxy24

NO. I've seen what he does to people who feed him their food (dad), not something I want. He stares, cries, even yips, tries to crawl on them while they eat. He leaves me alone or watches from a distance, and I'd like to keep it that way.

yoko

Once in a while but not often. Maybe once every three or four months. I'm pretty picky about what yoshi gets and a lot ofmy food has stuff I don't let her eat, like onions.

Saeleofu

No. I prefer not having my dogs get pushy or beg for food. My mom does it (or gives them food from her plate anyway) when I'm not around. She says she doesn't, but their behavior when she's eating (and only when SHE has food) says otherwise.

Ulteed

I do once in a while, as long as they aren't being annoying or pushy beforehand (which they normally don't do anything besides sit and watch from some place; Megie prefers the couch as a viewing point, haha).

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Nope. I mean, sometimes they find their way to the open dishwasher when dirty dishes are being loaded - but they get shooed out of there. Basically if they get the chance to lick a dirty dish, that means they're being naughty :p

ACooper

No. The only dish Orson uses is HIS dish.

It has nothing to do with cleanliness, it has to do with Orson knowing his boundaries. He doesn't counter surf, doesn't attempt to get dishes that have been left down on the coffee tables, etc..........and I intend to keep it that way, LOL

K

Kaydee

I guess I got laid back in the days when there were me and hubby and a bunch of little people filling the house. For a few years there were five kids under ten years old. Dog could've eaten one of THEM and it would have taken us a while to figure it out.

This is the first time I've had a clean house and empty sink in twenty years heeheehee

Toller_08

No. The only dish Orson uses is HIS dish.

It has nothing to do with cleanliness, it has to do with Orson knowing his boundaries. He doesn't counter surf, doesn't attempt to get dishes that have been left down on the coffee tables, etc..........and I intend to keep it that way, LOL
That's basically my reasoning also. I don't have counter surfers, moochers and am able to leave something on a table (by accident) without worrying they're going to get into it. I don't want that to change. I mean, chances are even if they did get to lick plates or whatever they'd still behave. But I'm fine with not letting them. It'd be different if I lived with them by myself but I know they're far more respectful of me than they are my mom or brother, so I don't want the dogs getting away with more with them if they were suddenly allowed to eat from plates and stuff.

That said, Keira DID just steal a mound of cheese off of the kitchen counter the other night while my mom was making something and I was on my way home from work. Despite never being allowed to beg or mooch or given any of our food from plates. Bad dog! That is only the second time in all her life though (first was when she was a rotten puppy). But, the rest of my family is more lenient on the whole kitchen thing. And apparently Ki was outside with the door open and snuck into the kitchen when mom was distracted. I guess no matter what, dogs will dogs! I can't even picture her attempting something like that, but she did.

monkeys23

My girls do, unless its something they can't have like chocolate or something grain related, etc.

They lie down politely while people eat. They don't counter surf either.

I can set down my plate on the coffee table and go back for whatever I forgot without it being touched.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
We do. it's pretty much eliminated the "begging dog syndrome" when we have meals. they only get to lick the plates not the pots and pans and stuff lol.

They know they don't get anything DURING dinner so while we are eating they just go off and lay down and snooze until dinner is over and then they know that's their time to shine.

they don't beg, they don't whine, and they dont' stare anymore while we eat. They know theirs is coming lol

but they HATE taco night lol. leaves the plates far too clean for their liking.

ETA: Beezer is a counter surfer, always has been and always will be. i suppose it's from his days "on the street". It's something I've never been able to curb in him so now I've just learned to keep everything up. it has nothing to do with the fact that he gets to lick a plate at the end of the meal. Belle... she can't figure out how to get her front feet off the ground so counter surfing is not in her vocabulary lol

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Nope. Never have done it, don't really plan to ever do it. I think the closest I come is letting them lick the bits and pieces left in a can of chicken/tuna/whatever when I'm cooking.

Members online

No members online now.