Cookies!!!

Purr

~3 Mutts~
Hey, here's a recipe for some Peanut Butter Cookies, that my dogs love :p . Just wanted to share

1 egg
2 cups of whole wheat flour
1/2 - 1 cup of Peanut Butter (creamy)
1 cup of water
1/4 corn meal

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Blend the egg and the water in a medium bowl. Add your flour, and your corn meal. Now, pull out the electric mixer :D and add the peanut butter. I used a Kitchen Aide, because, it was pretty much hopeless to try and blend the Peanut Butter by hand LOL.

Depending on how bland you want your treats to be (for puppies with sensitive tummies), you can add anywhere between 1/2 a cup, and 1 whole cup of Peanut Butter. I used 1/2 this morning, and they tasted more like flour than Peanut Butter to me (yes, I tasted them :p ), but the dogs devoured them, so half a cup will work fine.

If you'd like colored treats, add in a few drops of food coloring, and knead the dough. If not, they come out sort of a white color.

Now, here's the fun part. You can make dog bone shapes, donut shapes, stick shapes, little circles, heart shapes, anything you want. I even made a few with "perforations", so they snap into pieces easily. I'd reccomend shaping the treats directly on your cookie sheet. A floured surface will work, but the dough tends to stretch when you pick it up and you have to reshape it anyway (I tried shaping them on a plate; it didn't work well :rolleyes: ).

Put 'em in the oven, and cook them for about 20 minutes. The original recipe (which called for Parmesan cheese) says to cook them for 25-30 minutes, but they didn't need that long in my oven. I cooked the first batch for 25 minutes, and they were sort of crunchy. They don't brown up, so don't wait for that golden brown color to show up. They'll burn on you.

When they're done, store them in an airtight container (let them cool first, so the condensation doesn't make them grow mold). They won't stay good for more than a week, because there's no BHA or BHT added in.

Have fun!!

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
They sound really yummy!! I think i'd be far too tempted to eat them myself!!! :D

Barb04

Super Moderator
The peanut butter recipe sounds great. I go to a local pet store where they make homemade treats for dogs. They have a peanut butter bone that's dipped in peanut butter and then has some carob coating on half of it. CJ & Max both love these bones. They aren't cheap. The lady charges $2 each. I treat them to one if I go there to pick up some food. It's like they know what they're getting when I come home from there.

Members online