Credit Card Recommendations?

noludoru

Bored Now.
I would like one that offers some benefits (points or something) as well as having an easy to navigate online interface that divides your transactions into categories, such as food and gas.

I got a secured card from Capital One, and I just hate their online interface, so I'm not interested in getting a regular card from them.

I have been toying with the idea of an airline miles card or a store card - think banana republic or express. I don't spend enough that a Southwest card will get me anything decent, and I don't care about interest rate - it gets paid off every month.

What rewards cards have you used that you have been happy with? Pros? Cons? Customer service?

I have several credit cards that I use for the rewards. I keep track of which cards have which offers going on at the time, and use them accordingly. I have no idea on interest rates for any of them, as I pay them all off monthly. None of these cards have an annual fee.

I'm not sure how much online shopping you do, but all of these cards offer online shopping bonuses - if you shop with various merchants through their site, you can get 5-20% cash back.

Many cards offer a sign-up bonus, like if you spend $500 within three months you get a $100 cashback bonus. My American Express, Citi, and Chase cards all did this.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday. You get 3% cashback on grocery purchases, 2% on department stores, 2% on gas stations, and 1% on everything else. Rewards can be redeemed for merchandise, gift cards, or statement credits at a minimum of $20 or $25. The online interface is fine, I don't mind it. It tracks how much you spend in the above categories, but it doesn't break them down any further than that. The one thing I've noticed about this card that's a little different is that it takes longer for the rewards to show up - it's one billing period "late", so to speak.

Capital One . My very first credit card. I get 1% back on all purchases, plus a bonus 1% if I pay my bill on time. You can redeem for a statement credit, a check, or gift cards with no minimum.

Chase Freedom. You get 5% back on rotating quarterly categories. For example, from October-December you get 5% back on airlines, hotels, Best Buy, and Kohls (nice for holiday shopping and traveling). From January-March you get 5% back on gas stations, drugstores, and Starbucks. You can redeem for merchandise, gift cards, statement credit, or a check with a $20 minimum.

Citi. You get 5% back on rotating quarterly categories. From October-December you get 5% back on Macy's, electronic stores, and toy stores. I just got this card in October, so I don't know what previous quarters were, and they haven't released the 2013 calendar yet. You can redeem for statement credits, not sure what the minimum is.

Discover You get 5% back on rotating quarterly categories. October-December is 5% back on online shopping and department stores. January-March is 5% back on restaurants and movies. They also offer a lot of bonus cashback offers. You get 2% back if you set up auto bill pay for phone, internet, and television. I got 2% back on everything during my birthday month. They'll announce periods of time (might be a day, might be a week) where they give 2%-5% back on all purchases. You can redeem for direct deposit or statement credits ($50 minimum) or gift cards ($20 minimum). They have a very nice online customizable spend analyzer that breaks down purchases into various categories.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Chase Freedom is what I use, I like the 5% off particularly when it's off gas and hotels right during agility season! I never cash out my 5%, just buy something neat on the card and then put my points towards the bill when it comes. The APR is high but like you I pay it off every month so it doesn't matter. Their customer service is AWESOME, I haven't had to deal with them very often but I had an issue last month and had to make two calls (I had two separate questions.) Both times it was very easy to talk to a rep, I could easily understand them, they were super polite and completely addressed my questions and flat out took care of me. I'm so thrilled I'm actually planning on switching to Chase Bank for my checking account, which you frequently get a "$200 cash when you open a checking account!" deals in the mail with your card.

CaliTerp07

I have Chase Freedom. It was my first credit card, and is still my only one. I don't have the organizational patience for more than 1 card! I would choose a card that gives cash. For most people, that's the most valuable reward. $1 is worth far more than a gift card for $1 to a store or hotel or airline.

I would avoid store cards. They are generally only good at the store you get it from. Unless it's a visa/mastercard/amex/etc, you're pretty stuck. A Kohls card is only good at Kohls, an Express card only at Express, etc. You want something you can use to buy groceries or gas, I'd assume.

Have you played around with mint.com? No matter what your credit card interface is, it will import the data and sort it for you.

joce

I won't get more that one card and thats capitol one. But if you have a secured card you may want to just move up with who you have or wait until you can qualify for all the bonuses. Many are not available until you have a certain credit rating or limit etc.

My mom has so many cards it drives me nuts. But each one does have a perk. I have had the same card from capitol one since it was a student card, my limit has just jumped a lot. I should call and ask why the hell I have not cash back incentives on anything though :cool: I have never paid late in ten years or really carried a balance. I have no yearly fees though so not complaining to much.

If you want a store card targets is nice. You get a percentage off purchases there. Think its like 5% maybe. I know that is one my mom has as she is there all the time. She loves it.(but also pays it off immediately there because I think its a higher apr card)

milos_mommy

My advice, which I'm sure you don't want, is DON'T GET A CREDIT CARD.

My other advice is that I do know a few people who use Chase Freedom and really like it, and do get pretty cool rewards.

I have an AmEx Blue Cash Rewards (I think that's what it's called). It's nice but there are a handful of places who don't take AmEx.

I also have an Amazon/Chase/Visa rewards. This one is nice because we order a lot off of Amazon and you get points that you can use as Amazon monies

Fran27

I disagree with not getting a credit card. It helps your credit score, you can get money back, and you can just pay back everything right away. So, totally worth it, IMO. You just have to be smart about it.

We mostly use discover here. I have a Toys'r Us credit card I like too but only use when I can't use discover or when I buy stuff at TRU... I get 4% back on what I get there. And as soon as the charge is posted, I make a payment online. Same for Kolhs (you get steals with their 30% off coupons and sales) and Target (5% on all Target purchases).

My advice, which I'm sure you don't want, is DON'T GET A CREDIT CARD.
HAHAHAHA beat me to it!
Out of curiousity, why would you say that?

The only problem with credit cards are people that use them as "free money" or "I'll pay it off later" money, and then get into debt. The OP already stated that she will be paying the credit card off monthly, that she was interested in the rewards - completely different than wanting a credit card to make large, unnecessary purchases. Having a credit card, using it, and making on-time payments can really help your credit score. Having a good, long credit history will definitely help down the road in possibly financing a vehicle or a house.

I dislike this "credit cards are evil" mentality. I have multiple credit cards, and I've never paid a cent of interest on any of them. I get nice rewards checks for spending money on stuff I would be spending money on anyways (groceries, restuarants, gas, etc), and my credit score is good - excellent, considering my age.

Should financially irresponsible people get a credit card? No, probably not. But a credit card does not create a financially irresponsible person. Chances are, that person was already bad with money to begin with, and a credit card was just a further bad choice.

joce

^I repeated your post after reading it all!

You need a credit card to establish credit. Period.

If you ever want a car loan, to buy a home, pay for some crisis that does happen etc. you need it.

You do need to use it responsibly.

I never got the "its evil mentality". Its only as bad as you make it. I use mine like a debit card basically. Pay it off asap. Only use it when its questionable to use my debit card because you can argue the charge lol. There is also a daily limit on my debit card for safety.

monkeys23

I have a Discover card that I got to use mainly for gas since when you pay at the pump they often do the big security extra thing and since I only get paid once a month this is safer budget-wise since I can pay it all in one chunk on payday and not worry about whether I will be okay. When I had to move unexpectedly it really saved my bacon too. The rewards are great too, though mostly I'm frugal and just use it toward the monthly card balance when I've got enough to do so (you have to have $50 in cashback to put it back onto your card... I think they do that to encourage more spending...) and I love the online spend analyzing and stuff, though I also use Mint.com for budgeting/tracking.

BlackPuppy

Owned by Belgians
I hate all my credit cards. I don't have a capitol one card, though. But I heard that they have no foreign transaction fees. I even have a capitol one mm account for that very reason. I put my vacation money in it, then I use ATMs in Europe without any fees. And I pay for everything in Europe with cash from that money market account.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
NO you dont , you open account with utilities and other companies and get credit that away. You pay your bills on time. You get a cell phone and pay it on time , all that build your credit. You do NOT have to have a Credit card to do any of that. I do not have a card and am currently improving my credit score monthly , by paying my bills on time and slowly decreasing my old debt.

Your bank can also loan you small amount that you pay back on time and it builds your score that away also.

you can live life without plastic.

if you HAVE to have plastic there are also prepaid cards that DO report to the big 3 credit agencies.

SpringerLover

I have a US Bank visa card. I just opened it this year but so far it's been great. No annual fee and I get cash back for certain purchases. I like free money! :)

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
I don't see why you wouldn't have a credit card. If I was planning on spending the money anyway, why not use a credit card and get free stuff? I have a Discover and an American Express Blue Sky card. After spending $500 with the AmEx I got $300 good toward travel expenses. Worth it to me.

Lyzelle

NO you dont , you open account with utilities and other companies and get credit that away. You pay your bills on time. You get a cell phone and pay it on time , all that build your credit. You do NOT have to have a Credit card to do any of that. I do not have a card and am currently improving my credit score monthly , by paying my bills on time and slowly decreasing my old debt.
This isn't true. Both me and Jin had phones when we moved here. We paid utilities in our apartment. None of it did anything to our credit. We still had "no credit" when it came around to needing something. It wasn't good credit, wasn't bad credit. It was straight up NO credit. Paying your bills does NOT affect your credit. NOT paying them does.

Bank loans will give you good credit, however. Credit cards will give you good credit. As long as you pay them.

CaliTerp07

A portion of your credit score is your use of revolving credit and your debt to credit ratio at any given time. You cannot get high ratings there without credit cards. That said, there are plenty of other accounts (utilities, car loans, mortgages) that are reported as well.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/06/your-money/credit-scores/primerscores.html?_r=0

bogart, I would never, EVER recommend taking out a loan from the bank to build your credit. What you're describing is a personal loan (something with no collateral), and the fees on that are monstrous (approaching some credit cards, with 10-15% rates). Why would you rather pay 10% on a 5 year loan than pay off credit cards each month?

Bottom line is you have to know yourself. Studies have shown that many people spend more with a credit card than cash, but if you can control yourself in there is nothing inherently "evil" or dangerous about a credit card.

crazedACD

I have a Capital One Cash Rewards...I like it, I haven't had any problems with it. Just 1% back but it works for me for now. I would probably get into trouble if I had multiple cards but the one is fine. I put a little bit on it every month, pay it off, and use it for unexpected things.

Members online

No members online now.